Unofficial Mills

Chris Moyles in new storm over Auschwitz joke

Jono

DJ Chris Moyles is under fire again after shocking Radio 1 listeners with a gag about Auschwitz concentration camp.

The tasteless joke - just a month after Moyles was forced to apologise for a previous gaffe - came as he revealed that his family history had been investigated for the hit genealogy series Who Do You Think You Are?

Moyles, 34, said the research had led him to Ireland, where his parents were from - but not to the camp in Poland where the Nazis murdered hundreds of thousands of Jews.

I went off to Ireland and other places to film and unlike a lot of the Who Do You Think You Are? shows I didn't go to Auschwitz,' Moyles said.

'Pretty much everyone goes there whether or not they're Jewish.

'They just seem to pass through there on their way to Florida.'

Previous episodes of the genealogy show have shown presenter Stephen Fry and talk show host Jerry Springer in tears after learning that relatives died at Auschwitz.

Another showed newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky overcome by emotion on discovering how members of her family also died in the Holocaust.

Moyles, who earns £650,000 a year for hosting his Radio 1 breakfast show, now faces the wrath of BBC chiefs.

A spokeswoman for the Corporation said: 'We regret his comments were misjudged and we are speaking to Chris.'

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1125243/Chris-Moyles-new-storm-Auschwitz-concentration-camp-joke.html

Once again another thing for the BBC chiefs to sink their teeth into, they already weren't happy I bet about the rant he had about them yesterday concerning Rachel. How long I wonder till everything is delayed and prerecorded so not to offend anyone?

Just read the article and what a surprise it's by the daily fail

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

His remarks didn't offend me in the slightest, despite the fact that my mother was adopted during WW2 and as her father and family were jews from the Czech Republic, I'd say the reason I have no relatives left on that side of my family is pretty obvious.

Moyles was not having a laugh at the expense of those who died at Auschwitz, he was making an amusing observation. Where were all these people who complained when the last series of Blackadder was aired? I don't recall any public outrage over that, and it was pretty 'disrepectful' in a hilarious and I'd also argue, educational way.

Gah! I despair of the British media, the gagging of presenters (especially BBC ones) and the fact that the public appear to be totally incapable of thinking for themselves any longer.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Guest inxces4308
I went off to Ireland and other places to film and unlike a lot of the Who Do You Think You Are? shows I didn't go to Auschwitz,' Moyles said.

'Pretty much everyone goes there whether or not they're Jewish.

'They just seem to pass through there on their way to Florida.'

OK, so where in that did he say something wrong? He said he hadent gone to Auschwitz and that most other people who did the program end up there.

Previous episodes of the genealogy show have shown presenter Stephen Fry and talk show host Jerry Springer in tears after learning that relatives died at Auschwitz.

Another showed newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky overcome by emotion on discovering how members of her family also died in the Holocaust.

How are they linking this to Moyles? There is no link between what he said and what these other 'celebritys' did.

Moyles, who earns £650,000 a year for hosting his Radio 1 breakfast show, now faces the wrath of BBC chiefs.

He dosent earn £650,000 for hosting his radio show. In the year it was leaked he earned £650,000 from all the projets he did within the BBC. Dont be fooled.

And after all of this, when did he even try and crack jokes about it? He dident.

Bloody Daily mail are really getting on my t*ts now!

Notice that link is to The Mail On Sunday. He didn't make a joke about Auschwitz, he just made a little quip about how every episode of that show involves Auschwitz in some way, it wasn't offensive at all and most right thinking people would probably think the same.

God they should get off their high horse and check their facts before reporting on something, seriously that paper is the only rag more despicable than the News of the World! If any group of people needed to be sent to some horrific concentration camp it would be everyone who works for that so called "newspaper", they've printed much more offensive stuff than what Moyles said yesterday. :x

kyliewilson.png

Completely ridiculous................ what he said isn't offensive in the slightest, he's just expressing an opinion on this Who Do You Think You Are show which he has every right to do. And as for the Will Young thing, he does this kind of thing all the time for god's sake, how many times has he taken the the p*ss out of Aled's sexuality in the past? No-one saw fit to complain about that, so why should this be any different?

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

Oh Geez... not again. I don't see what was offensive in that quote, unless he said it in a really bad tone or something where it was obvious he was taking the mik. If people are easily offended they really shouldnt be listening to Moyles in the first place, but then again, have they actually had any complaints or is it the Mail and Sun leading the campaign? The only people who have commented badly about it, in the discussion thread they have, are the people who dont like Moyles and didn't hear the show.

You know what, just shut it all down... the whole of the media... just scrap it.

i just watched that episode of extras with kate winslet, who does a scene (the script wasn't wrote by her) which refers to the holocaust and is probably more offensive. i know extras is a comedy show, but did anyone react to that?

this sounds almost as ridicuolous as the jonathan ross russel brand saga. the bbc and their ridiculous politics.

oh and lets be honest, how can the sun say that when they've said much worse things in the past.

chris won't like it & he probably won't take it to well either.

regarding the Auschwitz comment it wasn't even a joke or in anyway could be considered a joke, is it that far from the truth ?

The 34-year-old, whose parents are Irish, said: "I went off to Ireland and other places to film and unlike a lot of the Who Do You Think You Are? shows I didn't go to Auschwitz. Pretty much everyone goes there whether or not they're Jewish. They just seem to pass through there on their way to Florida."

i know a few people who have been there & they aren't Jewish & when i have asked them why they went there reply was "i dunno"or "why not".

the will young comment, who cares ? its a fact that will young is gay & the only person who has denied this fact is will young himself.

also part time radio-1 dj lily allen is also in trouble for promoting violence for wearing a uzi neckless & has upset vegetarians & peta for wearing a rather fetching hat made from a fox.

:)

Am I right in thinking that top gear just spent the last series making Will Young jokes and how him and Jeremy would make a nice couple? Where were the complaints then? If this generates more complaints you will be certain that it is by people who never listen to Radio 1 as it's for " brainwashed idiots" to quote someone I know but still feel that they are able to make an informed complaint about how Moyles is a "fat talentless moron" which surely in itself is an offensive comment. Hypocrites.

RADIO 1 bosses have refused to apologise for DJ Chris Moyles’s “joke” about the Auschwitz Nazi death camp.

<STYLE> #bodycopy a { font-size: 12px; } </STYLE>

Moyles, 34, offended Jews and other listeners with his crass on-air gag...

Mark Gardner, of the Com-munity Security Trust, which aims to protect the Jewish community, called Moyles’s on-air comments “arrogant, stupid and insensitive”.

Lord Greville Janner, 80, chairman of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said they were “juvenile and regrettable”.

Yesterday a Radio 1 spokes-man said: “We are not currently commenting any further.”

The Daily Star put forward a serious offer to Radio 1 and Moyles to provide him with an all-expenses paid trip to the Auschwitz museum so he could fully understand the outrage caused by his “joke”.

But unconcerned Radio 1 bosses ignored our offer.

The distress caused came days before national Holo­caust Memorial Day takes place in Coventry on Sunday.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/66791/Backlash-over-Moyles-Auschwitz-gag-/

Seconded.

The point is: Jonathan Ross got into lots of trouble, and people are just jumping on a big bandwagon over anything & everything now.

That post was spot on. Its not just radio though its TV. Everytime we hear a report regarding OFCOM its about something totally stupid.

james_ryder.png

And so the BBC witchhunting continues...

I'm starting to think unless somebody doesn't take action against all this shit soon, the BBC will become totally sanitized and boring, ultimately leading to the end of the BBC (my opinion anyway)

Something has to be done.

Edit: finding incredibly hard to stop myself using foul language in these topics now, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but this has got to end now. I mean if these people don't like the show, WHY ON EARTH DO THEY LISTEN?!

Another edit: I've submited a comment on said article, if it doesn't get published then shame on them for dening me the right of freedom of speech, I'll start my own campaign to get the Daily Mail shut down. Actually lets do that anyway. SO ANGRY!

Nik B.

Born to Toads.