Unofficial Mills

The Chris Moyles Show in video form

Guest inxces4308

Guest inxces4308
Yeah, I've noticed it's a little different. I think the beds are less noticeable, aren't they?

Weidly was going to mention this. The beds seem to disappear when they have the fader at a certain level. Im having a pretty certain good ish guess its because they dont have the main station compression to bring certain levels up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The feed for the video is coming straight from the desk, so will sound different because it hasn't got the normal processing on it.

The FM does have the proper processing on it, and is technically the best of the feeds.

A separate feed is used for Radio 1 on TVs, like satellite.

The normal online feed is poor quality because it comes from the satellite feed, so has gone quite a way through the transmission chain before we hear it.

All digital feeds are behind analogue ones.

Mmm, well, it sounds great to me! But then again, I have like HD speakers that make my audio sound brighter and full. I noticed that on here, I have a 65kbps feed that sounds like FM quality, but on the Windows based machine, it's only 44kbps and awful mono audio quality.

What's sadder is that the audio online sounds 100x better than on my SIRIUS.

Guest inxces4308
Mmm, well, it sounds great to me! But then again, I have like HD speakers that make my audio sound brighter and full. I noticed that on here, I have a 65kbps feed that sounds like FM quality, but on the Windows based machine, it's only 44kbps and awful mono audio quality.

Your speakers probably have a processing unit or EQ settings on which make it sound better than it really is. Just like FM.......

The feed for the video is coming straight from the desk, so will sound different because it hasn't got the normal processing on it.

That pretty much what i said but heres another geaky fact for you. The playout system will have a small amount of compression itself so everything it plays will to a small extent be processed.

On FM it will then be further processed along with voices which go through several processers (mainly computerised).....thats why in the presenters headphones there is a 1second delay from them talking to them hearing it.........Most presenters simply get used to it or flick to a desk feed during links.

.thats why in the presenters headphones there is a 1second delay from them talking to them hearing it.........Most presenters simply get used to it or flick to a desk feed during links.

No idea where you've got this from... Also there might be a minuscule delay occasionally it will rarely be noticeable. All the presenters I know monitor straight off air.

Switching to desk feed during links would defeat the object of wearing headphones to check the levels, because everything sounds different post-processing.

Guest inxces4308
No idea where you've got this from... Also there might be a minuscule delay occasionally it will rarely be noticeable. All the presenters I know monitor straight off air.

Switching to desk feed during links would defeat the object of wearing headphones to check the levels, because everything sounds different post-processing.

I've got this from it being like this everywhere i've worked! Perhaps 1sec delay was abit over the top, but i was trying to get it accross, but there is a delay which can be offputing at first for some presenters. The delay will vary slightly depending what station it is and what processers they are using.

Switching to desk feed is a bad idea, yes, but some presenters dont like having the slight bounceback from them speaking to them hearing it. Wearing headphones is because the speakers cut out when they put the mics up otherwise they would get feedback. They have level moniters,limiters, compression for checking levels, etc.....

Having said all this, the BBC will have developed there processors so much that the delay will be smaller than most/ever commercial station that have voice processers......

I've got this from it being like this everywhere i've worked! Perhaps 1sec delay was abit over the top, but i was trying to get it accross, but there is a delay which can be offputing at first for some presenters. The delay will vary slightly depending what station it is and what processers they are using.

Switching to desk feed is a bad idea, yes, but some presenters dont like having the slight bounceback from them speaking to them hearing it. Wearing headphones is because the speakers cut out when they put the mics up otherwise they would get feedback. They have level moniters,limiters, compression for checking levels, etc.....

Having said all this, the BBC will have developed there processors so much that the delay will be smaller than most/ever commercial station that have voice processers......

I seem to remember Moyles mentioning 'flipping a switch' to go to desk feed when guests come in, otherwise it can be a bit too disconcerting for them.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

Guest inxces4308

Not really related to moyles but so far the 'Switch' video stream isn't a patch on Moyles'....mainly because switch is boring (i think)......I wonder if Aled is going to be on the video stream later on?

Also, just watched this on the CM blog. 3.28 is very very funny!

v=VIolcfci5qY

Well i keep trying to post the video but it just says 'BORKED' so heres the link: