Unofficial Mills

College, School, Uni & Gap Years

Grace

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Media isn't particularly anything special to do as far as I know. You're better off doing something more academic.

:| I dunno,ill probs end up going to Vet school.

Im getting pressure from my parents to go to Vet school aswell!:cry:

twitter.com/emgreatorex

Psychology is amazing in my opinion, I'm gonna be doing it at uni hopefully <3

A language is vv hard, unless you have the dedication or pasison for it I wouldn't do it, I thought it was ok at the beginning but crashed and burned and hated it 6 months in.

Cannot comment on the other 2, vets school sounds INSANE

But I'm not convinced and your hopeless hearts won't stick. For the first time I know, this is now who I am.

http://www.myspace.com/82105668

Psychology is amazing in my opinion, I'm gonna be doing it at uni hopefully <3

A language is vv hard, unless you have the dedication or pasison for it I wouldn't do it, I thought it was ok at the beginning but crashed and burned and hated it 6 months in.

Cannot comment on the other 2, vets school sounds INSANE

Thanks,I dunno about French im predicted A*-A ish..

Yeah and after getting the results its still really hard to get in! they only have like 12 places a year at each Uni!

twitter.com/emgreatorex

You shouldn't do things your parents want to you to do, do what you want to do. A levels take a lot of work, whatever you do. Like Jono said, you're better sticking with more academic subjects, because it gives you more choice. I still have no idea what I plan to do with my randomly selected A levels and my Geography degree I'm about to start. But if you don't want to do the subjects you're doing, you haven't got much chance of doing well because you won't be motivated. It's also a long time at Uni, so if it's not what you desperately want to do, don't do it.

I have done Geography, and I found it ok because I got the hang of the essay writing technique, and it involves understanding lots of concepts, learning a lot of factual information at A2 particularly, and a lot of good old bulls***ing. For some reason I can learn lots of factual information pretty easily. The coursework is bad though, I'd say try to avoid doing too many subjects which involve coursework.

And the choices you make right now won't be the end of the world. Most places let you make up your mind even on actual GCSE results day if you want to change.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Thanks,I dunno about French im predicted A*-A ish..

Yeah and after getting the results its still really hard to get in! they only have like 12 places a year at each Uni!

Predictions like that are silly. You'll be so disappointed if you don't get that grade. I never lived up to my high predictions at GCSE

Good range of choices Ema - personally I don't think languages are that hard, out of all my choices (French, Biology, Environmental Science) I found that French was by far the easiest of the three. But maybe that's just me. Be prepared to word hard in Psychology though, I've been told it's a difficult subject.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

Philosophy is quite cool, although it's not one of the listed options. You get to argue all lesson long, and while it has bugger all application in the real world you can use it for winning arguments and saying clever things to impress people...

"Cogito Ergo Sum" - Descartes

"Act only upon that maxim which thou canst, at the same time, will to become a universal law" - Kant

"Aaaargh there's a horse standing on my foot" - Plato (Ok it's not his most prolific quote but it was certainly his loudest)

"I've just drunk what?" - Socrates (Again not his most prolific quote but it was definately his last)

Also my philosophy teacher said that 95% of all philosophy is done in the pub so the practicals were great!

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

• 1 month later...
Media isn't particularly anything special to do as far as I know. You're better off doing something more academic.

:-o How dare you!

Do Media, Ema! It's awesome at A Level! Jono - it is academic, apparantly it's harder than English Language and English Literature, because you are reading adverts and stuff and then analysing them at the same time! Go for it, Ema!

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

Geography was a b*tch for me to be honest, but I'm not incredibly academically inclined haha. Still would say take Psychology, I love it.

:-o How dare you!

Do Media, Ema! It's awesome at A Level! Jono - it is academic, apparantly it's harder than English Language and English Literature, because you are reading adverts and stuff and then analysing them at the same time! Go for it, Ema!

I don't think many uni's like that (General Studies is even worse) and especially is Ema want's to go to vet school. Than again if you're still doing the vet idea Psychology and Geography won't be much help either :-?

But I'm not convinced and your hopeless hearts won't stick. For the first time I know, this is now who I am.

http://www.myspace.com/82105668

Yeah the better Universities tend to be less impressed with less "traditional" subjects.

Geography was a good A level to do, but quite hard, and a lot of work and fact learning involved. Now I'm at Uni, they're telling us that facts have nothing to do with it.

Economics is hard, but it's a great A level to do, I really enjoyed it, and it's helped me to understand a lot more about all sorts of things.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Geography was a b*tch for me to be honest, but I'm not incredibly academically inclined haha. Still would say take Psychology, I love it.

I don't think many uni's like that (General Studies is even worse) and especially is Ema want's to go to vet school. Than again if you're still doing the vet idea Psychology and Geography won't be much help either :-?

No no Ive gone off the vet school idea after having to stick my hand up a cows bum! *feels sick*

twitter.com/emgreatorex

with the higher unis (dont know about the lower ones, they prob have a dif view), anything really with "Studies" on the end isn't looked upon as highly as more academic subjects.

I can only talk about French, i enjoyed it last year. This year i'm not enjoying it as much, but thats only down to one teacher, not actually the subject! I'm enjoying german and thats the same topics, just in the other language!

It's all really about you, we cant make the decisions for you, everyone will be biased on here. If you want to go into Media then media studies is prob something that will be useful (obv!), and because you have combined it with academic subjects as well, it's useful.

Have you thought about English? Just thought it may go well with media....

Since you started this thread AGES ago, what are you prob doing? Sticking with the choices you suggested at the start?

7 A*'s at GCSE

and

AAA at A level,studying at least 2 sciences and either 1 Maths or another subject.

I dunno..I dont want to work way hard to get them y'see,cos id go crazy!

Blimey that is tough grades to get even with A levels getting easier *Only joking before all abuse starts*

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!

i did a levels in geography, media studies, english language and economics. they were the 4 things that i was good at in school and interested in media studies.

if you do something you enjoy it is so much easier to do the work. if youve got a subject which you find boring or hard or both, then youre less inclined to do the work and then more likely to do badly. in all honesty it doesnt really matter what a levels you do as long as you get enough ucas points to do the course you want at the university you want, thats really what counts.

so in summary my advice is do the subjects that you know you will enjoy or you think you will. i think you can still change after a few weeks anyway so its not the end of the world.

good luck!

RRROOOAAARRR!!!!

thats right, do somthing you enjoy. if you want to get to the end and finish them you are stuck there for a while so choose what you would like. not what your friends are going for, you will still see them around. and they may even be in one of your lessons so hey...

on the grid.