Unofficial Mills

College, School, Uni & Gap Years

Grace

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i'm old I finished school a long time ago...and college and University and now live in the real world which isn't all it's cracked up to be. Yes you can stay out as long as you want drinking beer but you have to do mundane things like pay your phone bill and curse yourself when you forget to get meat out to defrost so you have nothing to eat when you get back.

I really miss my university days, they were so much more than an academic education. My closest friends are the ones I met at or thru university. I never see any of the people I went to school with.

As for the suits, wearing one when it's the right weather can make you feel great, very assured of yourself but in this weather with no air-conditioning you'd just bake...find a job that doesn't involve wearing one.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

Depends what course you're doing really, If your doing a degree in Klingon at Manchester uni, then yes you are on a doss ride.

However if you're doing a half decent degree then it's bloody hard, unfortunately there are now so many people doing degree's their worth has been diluted, employers are now looking for more than just a degree.

Even those so-called Mickey Mouse courses can be just as difficult as any other... it's just that those ones like Klingon that have no use in the real world outside of sci-fi conventions.

"spending a year on the Klingon homeworld in year 2 is no picnic I can tell you!"

Yeah but don't you at least get to learn how to fight with one of those cool-ass Bat'leths?

Disruptors are for sissies.

I guess it depends really on what you are studying and how quickly you can remember all the important facts. The place where I work is a college and the students have 2 and a half years of learning how to dismantle and replace parts on large aircraft, that is something that I would imagine is quite complex with all the moving parts in which you have to learn how they work.

I am just chatting about something similar on another forum, except it is about the SNP wanting to get rid of top-up fees in Scotland. The whole problem at the minute is a degree has become slightly worthless with the introduction of stupid courses that mean nothing and will end up with you getting a worthless job.

As somebody said on the other forum, "I was reading today that one third of Graduates who got their Degrees in 2005 are working in non-degree jobs, like McD's, Tesco, Asda and stuff like that."

I dont know,I have been thinking about taking one before Uni.

I want to get as much work experience I can to support my Uni application and also Jobs in the future.

Ive been kinda offered a placement at StrayFm through a mate,but im not sure if ill take it up and to be honest I dont think its definate.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

Most of my friends took one and went travelling with it. It's so much easier to do before you go to uni than after it cos if you don't get a job straight outta uni you can be up the creek. I went round by Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Sith Ifrica etc...saw geysers, swam in a volcanic spring, trekked through the desert, saw Elephants and lions etc....

My cousin is currently helping build branches of Primark (or whatever they need) in some crappy war torn hell hole with no running water in Africa. Good for the soul.

Although with todays market, it might be better to do as suggested above, go travelling for 6 months then work for 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...

I need some help choosing my college courses because unfortunately our school needs to know soon because of the high demand,although if we're already a pupil we get in automatically but I was born in a baby boom year and theres already alot of people in our year and not as many places. :|

I wanted to go to Vet School but after recently going to do more work experience in a Vets and seeing what grades I would need I think ill give it a miss.

So Im a bit career verging now and I dont know what Id need to get to go into Production or even teaching!

So Just wondering cos you lot are alot older than me what you thought of these college course options?

Media

Geography

French

Psychology

Thanks for your help in advance!

Em xx

twitter.com/emgreatorex

Psychology is quite cool, and interesting. The coursework is a bit of a bummer though... you have to conduct your own little experiment on people, and write it all up. But it's only 30% of the course...

Yeah,I was a guinea pig for some A level students last year!

An other option is to go to an independant college and just do Media.:-?

*go's to look at Leeds/Harrogate college*

twitter.com/emgreatorex