Unofficial Mills

Discrimination Plan

DC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7474801.stm

i heard about this on radio 1 today. awful.

i am all for equality between men and women, but men and women off all ages and races. i heard on radio 1 earlier that it could mean that if you're white you won't get the job above someone who is of another race, even if you could be better at it. if this is the case then isn't that racist against white people? if this goes ahead and what i understand is true then this country is finished, in a sense it would allow racism toward a certain race. and no matter how small or large that race is, it's still wrong.

on the grid.

This act doesn't enforce positive discrimination, but actively encourages it.

Like yourself DC, I fully support equality between gender, different cultures, different races etc. But I am worried that as a young, ambitious white male, I'll lose out on top positions in a company simply because I am a young, ambitious white male. I'd be very upset if I ever found out I'd lost out on a job to a person of another race just because that person was of another race. Saying that though, if I lost out on that position because that person was more suited to the job than me, then fair enough, I can accept that.

This thread reminds me of recent news that annoyed me. Recently Paul Ince was giving the job of Blackburn Rovers manager because he's had a fantastic record in the lower leagues, saving one team from relegation in his first season and then getting another team promoted in his second. Unfortunately, all the media would talk about is that he is the first black, English manager in the Premier League. This infuriated me, we have somebody of very good managerial talent who deserves his new job because of his past managerial achievements. He didn't earn it from the colour of his skin, so shut up about it!

I heard this on the radio driving out of work. Didn't really pay much attention, but from what I caught is that if you are white and male you are less likely to get a top job than someone who doesn't fall under that category, regardless if you are more qualified?! Surely that just swings it the other way and discriminates against men?!?! Either way if this is the case, I will add it to the ever growing reasons list to leave the sinking ship that is the "United" Kingdom

I’m sorry but I find this a complete and utterly ridiculous piece of tat from Harman. I’m all for equality (and Harriet Harman says she is as well) but is this in my opinion not at all equal for everyone. The 30 million or so white males in the country are not being treated equally compared to the ethnic minorities and females.

Does Ms Harman realise that if priority is given to the ethnic minorities and females to fill managerial roles then 95% of them will be taken by ethnic minorities and females in the next 10 years when the next useless minister to fill her shoes might say ‘we will have to give priority to white males now.’ However this might not be the case when you look at previous equal opportunities cases; take for example ‘don’t call a black board a black board but a chalk board instead’. But they never say call a white board a dry wipe marker pen board and things like that.

In conclusion, surely this is going against Harriet Harman’s job description, because it isn’t creating equal opportunities for everyone.

An interesting piece of legislation. It isn't officially law yet, however.

What I have interpreted from reading about this today is that if, for example, a Muslim man and an atheist white man were competing for the same job and both were equally qualified and fully employable, under this legislation where there is such an instance of deadlock, the Muslim man would more likely be employed to redress the apparent imbalance where ethnic minorities are, or were, discriminated against. I don't believe that the legislation actively encourages ethnic minorities or women to be employed over white men; all are given equal consideration. It also indicates in that BBC article at the beginning the legislation includes the right of employers to pick men over women if they want to if they're of an equal ability for the job they're competing for.

I think in theory this legislation isn't such a bad idea. In practice, however, it may prove to be totally unworkable and employers will behave no differently as they have done before if this becomes law which is what I think will happen.

Ultimately, the government is under pressure from certain groups striving for equal pay between the sexes which is totally acceptable and, with regards to the employment of ethnic minorities, needs to be seen to be doing something to address the problem that exists where ethnic minorities are discriminated against in the labour market.

Age discrimination will also be outlawed in the provision of goods and services

My dad mentioned this. It endangers the '16-25 railcard', the pensioner railcard, the Government paying for education only for those under 19, prescriptions being free for certain ages... I guess they'll have to make a lot of exceptions.

It says it is trying to get a balance, so if there were not many white males employed compared to the proportion in the general population, they'd employ a white male over someone else.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Guest CancerForTheCure
Please tell me you were joking?!

That's true actually, my history teacher told me about it. What were they thinking? How could anyone ever get offended by it? That reminds me of the "Fairytale of New York" incident where homosexuals had to inform everyone the song did not offend them at all... Oh how I hate political correctness. And the way it doesn't exist for those affected by it: it's fine for black people to call people "niggers", but imagine if a white person said that.

I wish we could beat the PC brigade with a bloody stick... its like branstorms cant be called that anymore because it might offend someone with epilepsy?!?!

The people its supposed to "help" probably find it more offensive that a big deal is being made out of it!

The people who complain about this clearly net to get a grip and realise there is actually a world out there!

Once again MPs being completely oblivious of the meaning of the word 'discrimination'.

"...and progress has been made to outlaw discri-ah...d-d-discrimination against you if you're black, if you're a woman, if you're lesbian or gay, if you're disabled or if you're older."

I'm sure it's not just me who is offended by this sentence, typical of her to exclude "white", "man" and "young" from this speech.

...and sorry but just to add, she complains about the fact that men working full time earn more than women working half time. Well duh? She's being manipulative.

-