Unofficial Mills

I've just seen the saddest thing of my weekend...

Jono

We nearly ran over a squirrel today and I squealed so loudly my dad nearly swerved off the road. What with being so built up around here it's rare to see roadkill (or, in fact, wildlife), I always get such a shock when I see wild animals if we ever go anywhere, dead or alive.

Aww no way:( We saw a squirrel that had just been hit a couple of weeks back and it was suffering quite a lot, its not nice to seee it suffering these things at all.

There is a lot of woodland around here, most of it will have a 60mph road cutting through. Add in a mix of deer and it gets a bit sketchy, especially at night!!

We have a couple of roadkill collectors around. If they see an animal suffering they will put it out of its suffering, and then chuck it onto their pickup to eat later :confused:

My mates folks live in the country and have to regularly shoot squirrels otherwise they get in your house and chew your cables and you end up with dead fried squirrel stinking up the place...

Oh and in Richmond near where I live is a huge deer park and every year they have a cull and every year they've refused to let me join in!

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

My grandfather goes elk hunting every year. Elk are similar to Moose, but live in parts of Scandinavia. Whilst I understand the necessity for the cull, I would prefer it to be done by professionals as opposed to by a group of drunken, incompetent amateurs.

The whole idea behind hunting some beautiful creature for fun and pleasure is beyond me really I'm afraid.

MrB enjoying his hunting trip to Richmond Park:

post-4214-145327866959_thumb.jpg

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Guest CancerForTheCure

Aww people don't really think about how much cars affect wildlife :(

My parents almost died when a deer jumped in front of them when they were driving. I was 3, and it's one of my flashbulb memories when I saw them in that state. My mum is still terrified of cars.

It's interesting to note that while you cannot eat your own roadkill it is perfectly legal to eat someone else's. I think that's right anyway.

Why anyone would want to eat roadkill I'm not sure but just incase you guys get hungry at uni eh? Drive round in convoys!

Guest CancerForTheCure
It's interesting to note that while you cannot eat your own roadkill it is perfectly legal to eat someone else's. I think that's right anyway.

Why anyone would want to eat roadkill I'm not sure but just incase you guys get hungry at uni eh? Drive round in convoys!

And why would anyone eat animals that were killed intentionally? Personally I think that's even worse. If an animal's dead anyway, fair enough. But killing one just to eat it? Urgh.

Some would argue that it's more humane to deliberatley kill an animal that you are definately going to eat rather than breed one for the sole purpose of killing it although it may not actually get eaten....

Depends on your view of ethics I suppose.

Guest CancerForTheCure

Any type of intentional killing is unethical!

Some might also argue that cows wouldn't survive without the help of humans but that's only due to the way they have evolved - give them enough time and they'll be perfectly capable of living on their own.

Anyway, one of the most unethical things I've ever heard of is breeding chickens without beaks etc. Bloody KFC and McDonald's... How cruel is that :(

A bit of a thread hijack here, but my dad was telling me it's okay to eat cows because that's what they're bred for and if it wasn't for people eating them they wouldn't be alive, but in that case, surely it's fine to breed humans to eat?

Vegetarian politics confuse me.

Guest CancerForTheCure

That's what they are bred for because we have somehow claimed the right to do that :) Just because we're "better". It could be compared to Hitler's policy, only towards animals :) Just a reminder - cows were not "created" by humans.

But anyway, I won't go into that, I'm not that much of a vegetarian anyway. I eat fish :oops:

A bit of a thread hijack here, but my dad was telling me it's okay to eat cows because that's what they're bred for and if it wasn't for people eating them they wouldn't be alive, but in that case, surely it's fine to breed humans to eat?

Vegetarian politics confuse me.

In one of my modules recently, we had a huge debate which was supposed to be about dairy farm pollution but the group that were representing the 'cows' got carried away and hijacked it all and tried to tell us all to go vegan. Some interesting viewpoints but I wasn't quite convinced. I don't eat meat very much anyway.

As Nirvana said, it's ok to eat fish, cos they don't have any feelings!

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'