Unofficial Mills

Have you got tickets?

Jono

The ticketing situation was stupid imo, i'm one of the people who lives around Mote Park and thus will have my weekend disrupted and yet no tickets! And the same with my neighbours and the majority of people in my road! If you're going to inconvenience us for two days radio 1, at least let us in on the party!

However i'm very lucky in that i have a good friend who is giving me his plus 1 for saturday! :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great I didn't get tickets and figured that if my mate got them (he's far more likey as he lives in the cathcment area) that he'd be taking his missus. I've made other arrangements for the weekend and now I find out that his missus is WORKING at the Big weekend. So she get's in anyway and he's offered me his other ticket if he gets it....bloody great!

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

Where did you read that? I don't believe it. There's always a bunch of bitter people making conspiracy theories up.

Was searching on the internet and found this so I just wanted to say that whilst I know very few people who got any tickets at all and none within Maidstone, we are not all tards trying to ruin people's fun. I myself won't be attempting to block roads or start fires.

The problem is that the local bandwagon press built the event up so much, people felt that they were guaranteed tickets, which, regardless of botched allocation which may or may not have happened, they were always going to be disappointed.

Yes, I applied, and no I recieved no tickets and I know very few that did at all and none within Maidstone. So whilst I'm not trying to sound moany, please don't condemn the people of Maidstone as bitter old people crying over spilt milk.

Interestingly, last year's Tour de France that came through here was very well recieved despite HUGE road closures and to be fair, that was a massive disappointment (again, the 'Kent "What can we latch onto next?" Messenger' was probably to blame for making us expect something other than a bunch of guys on bikes).

So please don't think we're all bitter. I myself will probably watch it at home (if I can't hear it from my house) with a few mates around. So if you're coming to the good old 'Stone, enjoy the event and buy lots of expensive stuff...

x

Maidstonian without tickets

This is quoted from another thread to actually say people in Maidstone did get tickets:

Radio 1 has supplied details of the number of tickets allocated to postcodes in and around Maidstone for the upcoming Big Weekend.

The BBC responded to angry claims by scores of disgruntled Maidstone residents who failed to get free tickets to the two-day music extravaganza at Mote Park and claimed the allocation had been wrongly weighted to favour ME postcodes in Medway.

A BBC spokesman said: "It is not true that Radio 1 mistakenly assumed ME1 and ME2 were central Maidstone postcodes. Neither postcode was in the central zone for allocation.

"The highest number of tickets given to any one postcode was 3,042 to ME15, followed by 2,298 to ME 14 and 1,710 to ME16, a total of 7,050 tickets.

A total of 45 per cent - around 15,300 - of the free tickets went to those with postcodes covered by Maidstone Borough Council (MBC) itself, according to the BBC. The other tickets were split between the other Maidstone postcodes.

The council's revenues department supplied a list of postcodes the authority covered to ensure all those paying council tax in the Maidstone area had the greatest chance of obtaining a ticket.

The main postcodes given were ME14, ME15, ME16 and ME 17. A number of ME5, ME9, ME18, TN12 and TN27 postcodes also fall under Maidstone borough council, as well a few in ME4, ME7, ME13, ME19, ME20, TN9, TN15 and TN17.

The spokesman added: "Everyone in this zone had the same chance of being allocated a ticket - around one in 16 on Saturday and one in nine on Sunday."

Outside of the central MBC zone, another 40 per cent of the tickets went to the surrounding areas of Kent, including:

~ 3,868 to other Medway postcodes not covered above;

~ 4,006 to all other Tunbridge Wells postcodes not covered above (including some to those in parts of East Sussex);

~ 1,568 to Dartford postcodes;

~ 466 to those with Bromley postcodes;

~ 172 to those with Croydon postcodes.

Finally, 10 per cent went to postcodes bordering Kent, including parts of Sussex, Surrey, Essex and London, and the remaining five per cent went to other areas in the UK.

The BBC spokesman reiterated that 34,000 tickets were given away for the Big Weekend, but that more than 518,000 people around the UK had registered.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=41235

There are about 75000 people in maidstone according to the last census, which means roughly, 20% of the population of Maidstone got tickets, not bad if you ask me