Unofficial Mills

Radio 1's Big Weekend Coverage

Jono

It's obvious that a lot of time and effort went in to the UM Radio 1 Big Weekend stuff. It truly is a shame that the BBC's lack of recognition means all this has come to nothing.

I am still hoping Scott will intervene on your behalf Jono when he returns from his holidays.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

im not happy about this. There's a lot of work to run the site & it has nothing to do with the site being unofficial, it's not!

Scott mentions this place all the time, so he therefore endorses the site & the bbc know this, i can understand that they cannot be seen to just give tickets out to people who have fan sites but this is the official Scott fan site, so you should get to go to both days, i would tell them to stick there ticket !

I bet there will be loads of r1 family members going for free to both days so two extra tickets wouldn't make any difference, i hope this is sorted for you as it's a rough deal.

:)

That's horrible! I feel sorry for you Jono, if there was anyone that I think should go to Big Weekend it would be you. The BBC obviously don't take pride in you and your hard work. If you're just working on the site constantly, then that's even worse, especially with no pay. If the speculation is true about them occasionally using your clips and material on the show, than that's the worse possible way not repay you. It's not easy just to sit there and record, especially when it's live and to get it out immediately afterwards.

Guest CancerForTheCure

This is really out of order. I think they should stop taking you for granted and show a bit of gratitude for the publicity this website and forums bring. When are they going to get back to you? Officially, that is.

we know it's not possible for the bbc to pay jono, nor has he asked for it. but the way i see it i do think people like jono that do these sort of things should be on the receiving end of tickets if they want them. they could at least be greatful of the money and time put into this place. i know that maybe scott's show more than the staff elsewhere but unofficial mills also doubles as a radio 1 fansite. i wouldn't have known about aled on the surgery if it wasn't for this place. i came here to find out the news about the new schedule in september and was here to read about aled at celebrity scissorhands! it's more than just a scott mills website, it should only be natural it can fully cover the big weekend too. it's a bit rich for everyone to now turn the blind eye.

I don't see what they've done wrong?

Allocations change. The Press Department are there to maximise the publicity. Jono maybe a top priority to some members of Radio 1, but is he to everyone / others?

This is Radio - things change. If the pass fell through, I'd be grateful for being offered a ticket to one of the days. What about those who actually live in Kent, who probably won't get a ticket? I've aware that rather a lot of people have applied. More than half million.

Jono is in a good position and someone with a very good website, that's been recognised and had the fortunate to meet many people from Radio 1 and actually worked there.

If anything, surely expressing views on a website, is not a good thing? Openly writing about exchanges of communication between the Press Office and UM should be kept private, and if anything discourages any further strength of your relationship with the station and your website?

Jono mentions that this is the only year you can go? What is stopping him from going next year other than university? The Radio Academy put on Masterclasses to One Big Weekends.

I understand it must be frustrating but one should try to act and remain professional about these things. The BBC have obviously received a larger than usual request to attend. This is possible down to the fact of the headline for the Saturday.

Jono has done well to get that far, and well done for getting in touch with Press, but one should always prepare that things sometimes don't always materialise and should always prepare for the worst case.

Adam

507033771.183.1247039672.png

oh adam, that's so diplomatic of you :D i think from how i see it, jono has been very professional, if he's been in touch with so many people to try and seek some advice. things DO change we can all understand that, but if they are wanting publicity they should not be messing people around. how would they feel if the boot was on the other foot? i was looking forward to the stuff here about the big weekend and we deserved to know why such content was removed.

the good people of kent should get tickets, but let's not forget almost thirty thousand will. but do they all put in effort and money to promote radio 1 like this website? do the newspapers either?

jono isn't mr journalist from the sun. he's effectively a teenager and a student. he will want budget b&b and travel. he can't just book into a travellodge. i imagine this is where the frustration lies.

if he is at university next year will he not have to stop unofficial mills anyway? if that is the case he will play less of a role and be less deserving for tickets.

Hello Adam. I noticed from the photograph thread that you went last to the Big Weekend last year. Would I be right in saying that you may not have gone through the standard channels to get there? Did you offer your ticket to the people of Preston?

I think you have glossed over what these 'geeks' are talking about. Yes, it's all very corporate to give this answer, but when you look at the bigger picture here you can see why there is a bit of a sore point here.

Radio 1 owe nothing to Unofficial Mills - you are quite right. But trust and relationships are a two way thing. If Jono is to keep good relations with Radio 1 then maybe they should keep to their side of the deal too and work with him. They should be the ones communicating with him, and not just the other way round. This thread highlights there's a real breakdown in communication somewhere along the lines.

Also, given that Radio 1 used this very website for free publicity of the Big Weekend last year, would it not seem right for 'UM' to be disappointed to receive nothing back for another year?

You raise some valid points but here is where things differ for this website. It is a website produced by fans who work hard to make it a website that is universally known at Radio 1. 'UM' isn't press or media. The admin isn't a Radio 1 employee either. It is far more unique and should not have to go through the same protocol as the tabloids.

The Press Office are without a doubt doing a fine job at organisation and holding things together, and no one here is disagreeing with that. But disappointingly Radio 1 are failing to recognise this is an organisation that works tremendously hard to promote Radio 1 in ways that online and press can't.

Adam, every coin has a flip side. Do read on in future.

Hi Askfrank,

Hello Adam. I noticed from the photograph thread that you went last to the Big Weekend last year. Would I be right in saying that you may not have gone through the standard channels to get there? Did you offer your ticket to the people of Preston?

Well remembered. And yes, it wasn't through the normal process. Infact, the Guest pass that I attended on both days was part of a Radio Masterclass that I was invited to I referred to this in my original post. I however had to pay for the privilege of attending the Masterclass.

If you do get involved with Radio - at a Student or Community level, or even Commercial, I highly recommend making an enquiry with regards to it to next year ...

And to answer your second question - no, it was not offered

I think you have glossed over what these 'geeks' are talking about. Yes, it's all very corporate to give this answer, but when you look at the bigger picture here you can see why there is a bit of a sore point here.

You're right! But throwing our toys out of the pram got us nowhere. I'm sure the Admin of this site does feel a bit used, but we should expect changes. No one has to enhance their loyalty in Radio. I'm sure there is a reason for the 'downgrade' or no contact back.

Radio 1 owe nothing to Unofficial Mills - you are quite right. But trust and relationships are a two way thing. If Jono is to keep good relations with Radio 1 then maybe they should keep to their side of the deal too and work with him. They should be the ones communicating with him, and not just the other way round. This thread highlights there's a real breakdown in communication somewhere along the lines.

I'm sure Radio 1 have plenty of people to work with and keep happy? Again, i'm sure there is a perfectly acceptable reason for the 'breakdown'?

Also, given that Radio 1 used this very website for free publicity of the Big Weekend last year, would it not seem right for 'UM' to be disappointed to receive nothing back for another year?

I probably would be a little disappointed but that was last year. People change and move on, policy changes. A favour here, is an old favour the next. People shouldn't expect any form of payback.

You raise some valid points but here is where things differ for this website. It is a website produced by fans who work hard to make it a website that is universally known at Radio 1. 'UM' isn't press or media. The admin isn't a Radio 1 employee either. It is far more unique and should not have to go through the same protocol as the tabloids.

This I haven't thought about, but what you should be saying is, UM is a form of Press / Media. However if an important newspaper / Broadcaster comes along promising maximum publicity - who would give a Pass to if you were a Head of Communications, Radio 1?

The Press Office are without a doubt doing a fine job at organisation and holding things together, and no one here is disagreeing with that. But disappointingly Radio 1 are failing to recognise this is an organisation that works tremendously hard to promote Radio 1 in ways that online and press can't.

I don't think the Station needs to be told that. Yes, possibly are failings, but if I were jono, i'd do something a little differently. Not that he's done anything wrong. But its a case of take what's been offered or leave it.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

If it is a top priority website, what has changed.

If anything, surely expressing views on a website, is not a good thing? Openly writing about exchanges of communication between the Press Office and UM should be kept private, and if anything discourages any further strength of your relationship with the station and your website?

why not? things may change at radio 1 but they should remember who remains loyal to radio 1 from day one. it seems more like um and jono has been strung along.

i cannot imagine all the "press" are treated in the same way. if they had just worked on a minisite for the big weekend somewhere else i imagine there would be the same sort of annoyance! it's unfair to treat the site as press one minute and treat it as low priority the next.

:)

Morning, Adam.

You're right! But throwing our toys out of the pram got us nowhere. I'm sure the Admin of this site does feel a bit used, but we should expect changes.

I don't think anyone is throwing their toys out of the pram. It appears to be a close community here and people are going to be asking questions regarding the situation. Let's not forget this isn't your Digital Spy. It's a website set up by one person during high school who is only eighteen or nineteen now. You sound well experienced in what you do, and it seems you're a good five years older. For someone of Jono's age to be doing what he's doing is remarkably good. You have to understand that unlike us, he's not trained on media relations and will not understand the protocols for press at Radio 1. The only people who are throwing their toys out of the pram would be the members here, and they are simply expressing their opinion to what appears to be a cry for advice. Jono has expressed annoyance but has not stopped the website nor has he gone and topped himself!

I probably would be a little disappointed but that was last year. People change and move on, policy changes. A favour here is an old favour the next. People shouldn't expect any form of payback.

The whole website could be considered a 'favour'. From time to time a little thank you probably wouldn't go a miss. Yes, that might be in an ideal world, but if what you are saying is the consensus, I'd be put off allowing that to happen again. Correct me if I am wrong, but I did not see even a thank you at the end of that 'Frozen Indigo Angel' thread nor on the 'Paul Denchfield' blog. I am sure Jono, more than anyone else here, knows about doing favours and not expecting any form of payback. There is a lot of content on the forums that seeps into the Scott Mills show, and no one "throws the toys out of the prams" for that.

This I haven't thought about, but what you should be saying is, UM is a form of Press / Media. However if an important newspaper / Broadcaster comes along promising maximum publicity - who would give a Pass to if you were a Head of Communications, Radio 1?

And we will be waiting with baited breath to see as to what the media brings out.

I am sure Jono, more than anyone else here, knows about doing favours and not expecting any form of payback.

can i be the first to say gooood morning :D but adam we can all see your points, that is typical BBC stuff. but when you are here for hours on end daily you can soon recognise just how much work goes into helping radio 1 here. the big weekend is radio 1's biggest event and one of the few radio 1 events the public can go to during the summer. from how it sounds everyday brings a new batch of "false hope".

Do you not think it's unfair too, that if the press office are unable to sort a pair of weekend tickets because he isn't "press" worthy enough, that he probably won't be average enough to compete in the big weekend competitions either.

Imagine the outcry if Jono from a fans website was on the line to win Big Weekend tickets. Scott's team would not want that, and I doubt other teams that know Jono would either. That would be too risky...

So it's a no win situation either way. He would be in danger of upsetting the BBC if he got on-air, but Radio 1 leave little choice. That said, I can't even imagine they will even consider calling a "Mr Jono Read" if he was picked from a hat! His name is pretty infamous.

This morning I think we've come to an agreement that I will have two standard tickets to the day of my choice. I have since chosen Saturday considering that will be the popular day. This has now been verified. I think I'll be taking Catherine, and will be staying in Maidstone from Friday through to Monday as accommodation was booked for that, and there might always be a sneaky hill near by for the Sunday.

it is a little strange how things change as soon as first thing monday morning when you were told the demand was so great, but that's great news :D i think two tickets for one day is not to be sniffed at and you made the right choice taking it. i look forward to hearing you and catherine's stories from maidstone :)

This is excellent news you two. Shame you didn't get Sunday tickets, but as Claire said two for Saturday are not to be sniffed at.

If Justin Timberlake turns up, I wouldn't mind a pic. You can also see Scott Vs Zane on Saturday.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Seems like the Bog Weekend is there mainly for the benefit of the music industry PR teams and R1 DJs rather than the general pubic.

I remember the old R1 roadshow where it was all about getting out amongst real people. Not now though.

I hope there won't be an outcry if one of Scott's fans from here gets picked for the competitions - though that looks less likely than getting bitten in the groin by one of Kent's giant rats - it would be a shame if people were actually excluded for being fans of Scott Mills and Radio 1.

UM is a nice place