Unofficial Mills

Bishop of Maidstone wants tickets

Jono

The Rt Rev Graham Cray is a hard core music fan, whose love of pop and rock music is second only to his faith.

“If I can go to Big Weekend, I will definitely be there. But I won’t be wearing this,” he said, pointing to his dog collar.

“William Booth once said “Why does the devil have to have all the good music?” You cannot really worship God to thrash metal – it isn’t exactly my favourite music style -– but hip hop; why not?”

The bishop, who has a regular column - Purple Passage – in the Kent Messenger, confessed he has The Raconteurs, Black Keys and Aretha Franklin’s gospel album on his ever-present iPod, and can’t wait for the new Portishead album to come out.

He also hopes to write a book about Christianity and rock music when he takes a sabbatical from his bishop’s role in the autumn.

He added: “Pop music makes people’s memories. Songs take on a life of their own and remind people of their memories. I am fascinated by rock music and religion.”

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=40377

He will no doubt be disappointed with Madonna then. At least he has Nelly and Usher...