Unofficial Mills

What sucks in your life?

popbitcher

I love my disabilities. Well, no, one of the two sucks but the lax ligaments is great for wrangling stuff at Uni. I'm currently on my DSA laptop with my voice recorder next to me, and behind me is the printer. I'm also sitting in one of the larger rooms in halls, which are reserved for people on the disability list. And extra time is always good.

I sort of am making light of it all, but it's worth getting tested/checked. It's a bit of peace of mind, and you know that stuff can be done to help you because of it. And you've got the backup of anti-discrimination laws with jobs and things.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck. I just received a private message from that Site you recommended from some idiot insulting my carpet.

haha well I can only apologise for telling you about the site then :P

Just ignore them, there are some exceptionally childish and rude people out there. I've lost count of the times I've been ignored on there, messages getting read and not replied to etc. 1 even went to the extent of BLOCKING me all because I said hi. I know I'm not great but if I say hi to someone I dont think its too much to ask that they say hi back thats all.

Hopefully I won't need good luck with this girl, but I'll happily take it :giggle:, she seems really nice and the photos I've seen all look pretty good as well so if all goes well I could be a very lucky guy indeed :D

Not impressed with censorship

I want to wrap myself in cotton wool and hum tunelessly for the rest of my life. The present is scary. the future is scarier, and quite frankly I'm getting anxious over things for no reason again, something my medication is supposed to prevent. Sucks.

OH and I'm having massive moodswings. It's quite unusual for me.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Spoke to my mum about being tested. She is less than helpful telling me that I'm wasting the unis time being tested and am not dyslexic and just need to work harder and Ill manage and the reason i struggle with work is that I don't work hard enough or it's too hard for me. Also if I am "labelled" as dyslexic then it ruins any chance of me getting a job in the future so it would be a waste of my time continuing uni. So basically I should not be tested, drop out of uni and start living in the real world.

Sometimes I wish my parents were a bit more supportive.

Just to add a little more to this:

I don't know how it works in Scotland, but here's the thing - most Unis have a disability/dyslexia department that is designed for people to come along and be tested. Plenty of people don't get diagnosed with anything, but it's their job to find out for you if you cooperate. So there is no time wasting. At the end of the day, dyslexic people simply learn in a different way to other people and that is not catered to in general education unless you acquire the additional support on offer to you. You can get money, coloured overlays, extra time in exams, additional help from tutors, and they will structure the work for you to accommodate the way your brain processes things; a way that isn't your doing nor your "fault."

It ruins absolutely nothing job-wise, either. Most places cannot discriminate against you for your dyslexia. Most of the students at the Uni I worked at, where my Mom still works, who were dyslexic went into art and design or nursing, and nurses have to take notes and keep up to date with formulas and medication etc. Some places could arguably say that it could cause a hinderence, but this is why you need to take the tests now. If you're dyslexic, you have the next few years to learn in a new way which will help you to work around the issues you may have. This is then what you take to job employers: "I am dyslexic, but I've got my qualifications (much higher with support than had I not taken it) and have learned new techniques to make sure that I can do my work to the standard of everyone else." As long as this bodes true, there is no issue.

If you'd like, I can get you a pen drive of dyslexia information if you wish to receive it. I can PM you a Uni e-mail address to contact (so that you know it's legit) and it will be sent from there with relevent information that may be of use to you. It's a Uni-made package for students so I can't see it not being helpful in some way. But that's up to you.

Either way, definitely don't give up on using the services at your disposal.

Definately agree with the Above.

Never mind what anyone else says, because at the end of the day they're probably just thinking of themselves and not you, although they might not realise this. Getting the help will make things so much easier if you have got something, and if not, it'll put your mind at rest. I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia in 2007, and after performing badly at GCSEs first time round at school, I'm doing them again, and with the additional Help, I'm on track to success. I still mess up at some things (capitalisation is a problem) but I'm able to do so much more now I have the help.

[=

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Discovering photos of me and the ex on an old hard drive.

I hate the person is/was when i dumped her, and I probably always will, however I still miss the person she used to be before she changed :(

She'd never want me to take her back and I wouldnt wanna take her back either, and theres other much nicer girls out there who arent paranoid posessive cheating little bitches and I know the right 1 will come along, hopefully soon. But she was a big part of my life for a very long time.....

Not impressed with censorship

single again... dumped via text...

bad timing or what

awww poor you *HUG*

what a absolute wanker dumping someone by text!

things don't seem to be going to well for you at the moment, i'm not sure what to say really, but i'm sure that i speak for everyone here, if there is anything we can do to help you or advise you we will.

really hope things turn around for you soon :)

:)

I fucking hate this fascination people have with needing a partner. I want to just go around my Facebook friends and punch each one in the face for subjecting me to the statuses about being single or being with "my baby" or "my boy" all the fucking time. Nothing does my head in more.

And it's not even that you can blame jealousy - when I'm in relationships, I'm NEVER like that. In fact, I used to annoy an ex because I would never really mention it publicly. Maybe that's why she's an ex...

Yeah that annoys me too. When my Facebook feed is full of "Xx loves her honeybumpkin sweetiepie xxxx" and wall posts like "I know you're in bed with me but I want to tell you I luv you lots xxxxxx" etc. (this is particularly about people I knew from school, not anyone here).

Generally I don't like it when people use Facebook wall posts to discuss things they should be discussing in private. There's just no need.

Danni I'm sorry to hear about this guy, it's cowardly when people can't admit that they're not feeling the same way and pretend and have to resort to texting. I hope you get through this ok, remember what great friends you have to support you.

What sucks for me is that I can't get to sleep before 6am and can't get up before 12pm and I have such vivid dreams that I wake up feeling exhausted.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'