Unofficial Mills

What sucks in your life?

popbitcher

Having to leave a good mates birthday do early last night because for reasons best known only to them, the managers at my work have got me working a saturday morning again.

Not had a night out in town in a good couple of months and I had to leave at midnight so I could get to bed and be up for 6. Rubbish.

Not impressed with censorship

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ouch Danni, that sounds painful. How'd you do it?

I go back to college tomorrow, after nearly two weeks off. I'm very scared, but I don't want to lose my place at college, nor fail my GCSEs. I'm not ready, but then again I don't think I will be for a long time, so I'll just have to bite the bullet and go.

It's cache 22 really.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Still a few things not worth mentioning here. Things are a lot better since Saturday and I'm sleeping better now than I was most of last week... (he says posting at 3:30AM... errr... oops :P)

Seeing as I'm worrying slightly less now, watch my brain give me something to bring back the previous worry... typical, dammit..

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I might be dyslexic. Some of my friends and lecturers think it might be why I struggle with uni work so much. I'm getting a test through the disability services at the uni which will hopefully tell me one way or another. Not sure if it would be a good thing to find out if I am though... would explain a lot but might change the way people act with me.

And it gets you a shitload of cool stuff from the Uni. I worked in a disability unit at a Uni for six months and it's almost criminal what you can claim for.

If you've managed this far alright then the way people treat you shouldn't change. Lots of people are dyslexic and most aren't held back by it. As Mitchell says, you can get a laptop, voice recorder, notetaker, printer etc. if you have special needs. Extra time in exams could be more useful though. I got to type my exams too which helped me. It was also less stressful doing my exams in a smaller room. It's certainly not the end of the world being diagnosed with a 'learning difficulty' - it's a big club!

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Seems my email has now been hacked, used to send out spam and my entire contacts list deleted. To restore it, the hotmail people say they need 3 email addresses that were in my contact list. I mean WTF? If I could remember the addresses in my list, this whole deal wouldn't be a problem...

I know that's not a major thing, but it comes just when I thought I'd had a fairly good day free of hassle and stress for once, and came off the back of another night of broken sleep. Seems something always has to be going wrong... FML.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Uni work / placements getting in the way of me meeting a girl I've been speaking to online. she seemed reasonably keen on doing it but this week we've barely spoken. Hopefully its cos shes started a placement and not cos she's changed her mind

Not impressed with censorship

Spoke to my mum about being tested. She is less than helpful telling me that I'm wasting the unis time being tested and am not dyslexic and just need to work harder and Ill manage and the reason i struggle with work is that I don't work hard enough or it's too hard for me. Also if I am "labelled" as dyslexic then it ruins any chance of me getting a job in the future so it would be a waste of my time continuing uni. So basically I should not be tested, drop out of uni and start living in the real world.

Sometimes I wish my parents were a bit more supportive.

With all due respect, your Mom is wrong and clearly clueless. If you feel that you are struggling with your work for a reason possibly beyond your control, it's worth checking it out because even if it comes back that you're not dyslexic, it rules one possibility out and may suggest another that you hadn't considered before. If it does come back that you're dyslexic, you can get extra money, equipment and help and you can work around your issues. It will NOT harm your job chances because most places do not discriminate in that way, and going to university solely for a degree defeats the purpose of going to Uni - it's a period of growing in knowledge, qualifications, confidence and as a person in general, and the degree is only one quarter of that list. And that's not even the full list.

It just sounds like your Mom doesn't want to think that she has a child who is dyslexic because it would reflect somehow on her. Which is understandable, but also counter-productive. My Mom wanted me to take a dyslexia test because of my attention issues, but eventually it was found via the Uni I worked at that I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and now I am in a better place for knowing this. Not a wasted opportunity after all.

I agree with the above. I think my mum would be the same so I can totally understand your position but it's something they'll have to learn to understand. It was the same when there was the possibility I had depression. They like to think it's a sign of failure on their behalf when that isn't always true.

Uni work / placements getting in the way of me meeting a girl I've been speaking to online. she seemed reasonably keen on doing it but this week we've barely spoken. Hopefully its cos shes started a placement and not cos she's changed her mind

Good luck. I just received a private message from that Site you recommended from some idiot insulting my carpet.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0