Unofficial Mills

Smoking

Jono

Smoking in public places - should it be banned?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking in public places - should it be banned?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick of coming back from the pub and haing my clothes smell. But i dont thin the extraction works well in my local. So when you look at the bar and you see the smoke, it's like a beam of it. And it's frightening that you breathe that in.

They should build pubs like they did years ago with the lounge, bar and the smoke room.

on the grid.

Do people think a public smoking ban will encourage smokers to stop?

If exhaust pipes on cars are allowed to damage our health surely smokers can too? Should we be making efforts to introduce electric cars/environmentally-friendly cars that won't damage our health or the health of the environment?

Do we have a right to stop people entering public places because they smoke? Is this not discrimination?

I don't smoke. I don't like it. But I think the government should be concentrating elsewhere on preventing damage to our health before we get to smokers.

I went to my mum's 50th birthday party and I was told I had to get a new outfit for it, so I did and it ended up stinking of cigarette smoke from the function room. Smokers can smoke all they like, that's fine by me, it's their problem. But when it comes to the pub, I don't want to have to be breathing the smoke in (I have an allergy which can be set off by stuff like smoke amongst lots of other things) and I'd like to think we've moved on from the 1930's fashion.

I don't smoke. I don't like it. But I think the government should be concentrating elsewhere on preventing damage to our health before we get to smokers.

Go in the pub by me and say that.

Electric cars get you down the street and stop. But there is a new 4x4 that has an electric motor and and engine. The Engine for high speeds and the electric motor for city driving.

on the grid.

If the bill is passed, we still have to wait until summer 2007 before the ban comes into effect and the ban, as I understand, isn't a full ban insofar as smoking is prohibited in every public arena but is banned only in pubs where food is served, workplaces, cafes and restaurants so there will still be areas where smokers are legally allowed to smoke.

o.k here comes my rant....... in mny local the landlord has a two year old daughter and a wife that is littereally going to give birth tomorrow! ban it to save them! i also come home in an awful smell of smoke! but i don't smoke so it effects me by giving me a saw throat. any way it will give the locals something to do having to walk across the road to the bus shelter!

LOVE WILL TEAR US APART

I wonder how this would work in halifax. As some might know my 2nd job is in a bar (Jaks to precise) and at least 75% of the people who drink in there also smoke. After 5hrs of working in there my clothes, hair, hands and things all stink of second hand smoke. If this is all going onto, and lingering, on my clothes, the same must be happening to my lungs. I'm not a smoker but for the sake of extra cash i put myself at risk of illness that smokers get, lung problems, heart problems etc etc. The ban would benefit the workers of bars and clubs and pubs who almost every night breathe the smoke in providing a service to people. So thats why i support it. BUT i cant see it working well. Drugs are illegal so what stops people from dealing them in clubs. Nothing. People still deal drugs in clubs as much as they ever have done. Smokers will find ways around this. Every law as a loop hole and it wont be long before smokers find the loop hole in this law

take control

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• 29th April has updated to show Dan back as presenter but still Nels in for Alyx on Introducing Rock.
    • Where do we think Radio 2 in the Park will be this year? Personally I'm thinking Swindon after Scott's clue of it having many roundabouts and since Big Weekend is at Luton I can't imagine they'd go to Milton Keynes.
    • Now in it's third week, the new Capital Breakfast Show seems to be settling down well and there are more of the informal, random Jordan topics appearing.  Though it is clear he wants to be seen slightly differently. It really is a very decent listen.
    • Just Vick and Katie on Wednesday (and presumably Thursday as well).
    • Unless people can provide a source for this information then it should be treated as false.   Why would Jordan sign a contract with the BBC in the autumn when he agreed a deal with Global?  He could have left in August and not had to deal with the BBC.  Vick who doesn't really like Global why would she recommend him to go there and then warn him in her post to be careful?   It's been whispered from October that Roman was thinking of going.  Roman and Jordan have the same management team.  Why would they put Jordan in a place where he would have to battle with the BBC.  They could have agreed a deal with Global for Jordan in the summer.  They might have had to pay first couple months but they would do they to secure him.  If they had known about Roman wanting to leave they could have paid Roman off to get Jordan on air quicker.  Global would also not had legal around BBC contract to deal with and would not have had to pay the BBC to release Jordan.  None of what people say makes sense and if it did happen the way people say then BBC are not the stupid ones.  It really is not a good look to be talking with Global for 6 months, to then sign a contract with a the BBC, continue to talk to Global behind BBC's back after signing and then couple of months later want to leave and to throw a hissy fit as the BBC are not giving you what you want when you want it. That not a good light for Jordan or his management.   
    • Wow, surprised he signed a new contract in September but it says a lot about Jordan that he continued to a very high standard throughout last summer/autumn if this was all going on in the background. 
    • They knew Roman wanted to leave early last year but wasn't officially announced but he gave them time to sort replacement. Found and offered Jordan a deal in June or July and needed time to get Jordan out of Contract at bbc and roman to do notice  Jordan had dinner with Katie Vick and Arielle to ask advice and all said he should go.   
    • And they told Radio 4’s Feedback that it was an ‘experiment’ to ‘look at the best way to serve young listeners’ but reaffirmed that 280 hours commitment.
    • I doubt he wanted to go to Global if a slot before he found out kemp was leaving.
    • We're hoping to get some answers in the coming weeks
    • From what he's saying on the Pod he's been trying to get out of r1 for a while. Looks like he needed to wait for a show on global to be available. Jordan had bbq last summer with most of thr global execs and he's referenced the deal was in place then. Obviously the hold up was r1 being stubborn
    • All seems to be back to normal this morning.
    • Indeed and Jordan was already friends with Sian Welby, Will Manning and Jimmy Hill.  
    • It's great to see those friendships still thriving. I think the days of Radio 1 DJs and Capital DJs being unable to co-exist is long over. You used to either be firmly BBC or commercial, and you don't get the sense that's the case anymore. 
    • Maia Beth will be presenting the Radio 1 Happy shows from the 27th April replacing Katie.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ydkr