Unofficial Mills

"Alright Treacle" - why?

Mygeyiq

Pete Beale used to say it in Eastenders. Who really knows, who really cares! As for why does he say it in that time? Well the first two tracks are automatically mixed together and each DJ apart from Moyles has to play those two songs at the start of a show. So basically it's the first thing he says before manually playing a song.

I've always looked upon as his homage to Annie Nightingale, who back in the days when she did a mainstream show, would say "hi there!" or something similar at the start of the first song she played, and nothing else.

I think when he had the weekend 1-4 show in early 2004, a trucker phoned up and said 'alright treacle'. Thinking it was a bit gay for a truckie, he said it to all the rest of his callers for a while, and it sort of stuck. That's how I remember it anyway - sorry if I'm wrong!

Why does the world spin a certain way? Why does toast land a certain butter side up or whatever? Why do I prefer the sun to the rain? Why am I unlikely to have children? Why is the local bar down the road playing extremely camp music?

507033771.183.1247039672.png

Like you sign for things - it's like a signature or a greeting for the show. It's a show mark that people can relate and they'll know he says it. Its boring just saying hello - I dont think there is any real reason other than you say it once and you say it all the time. I dont know, maybe i'm just talking bollocks as usual? lol..

507033771.183.1247039672.png