Unofficial Mills

Edith Bowman's heart scare

Jono

RADIO 1 DJ Edith Bowman is facing surgery to save her life after doctors discovered she has a serious heart defect. Edith, 32, has been told she may need a transplant in the future after being diagnosed with a heart murmur.

The afternoon presenter, who also suffers from epilepsy, said: "I came back from Glastonbury last weekend and took ages to recover.

"They found out I have a bicuspid valve, which means that my heart has to work harder. I might need a valve transplant if it deteriorates, but for now I just have to be careful and keep fit."

That was three years ago and the presenter is now under strict orders to slow down.

This is the second major health scare to hit Edith's family. Her mum Eleanor, 51, was diagnosed with breast cancer.

"I felt like I was being sucked into the ground when she phoned to tell me," said Edith. "I call my mum Eleanor 'I'm fine' Bowman because she never complains."

Edith spent a year commuting between her parents' hotel in Anstruther, Fife, and her flat in North London, which she shares with boyfriend Tom Smith, 26.

She added: "It has made me take a step back and concentrate on what's important."

Edith had her first epileptic fit when she was six months old, but medication later brought the condition under control.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/sunday/2007/07/01/heart-scare-for-dj-edith---98487-19386171/

That's not very good. Poor Edith. I guess it just shows that health problems don't discriminate on the basis of age, income or celebrity status. I hope she gets the treatment she needs to make her better.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

well I'm afraid shes not following doctors orders very well this wekend because shes commuting between T in the Park and London for the Liove Aid gig,doing tv today and an extra radio show tomorrow- a routine shes keeping up for most of the summer. I hope she takes more holidays from radio one to make up for it!

By the way do you hapen to know if her mums recovering from her cancer?

• 2 weeks later...