Unofficial Mills

Smoking at gigs

Monitorabbit

The new law from July 1st means no smoking at gigs - is this a Good Thing? And how easily can it be enforced? Cannabis was being smoked at the obw, the smell was everywhere. If people can smuggle that in they can smuggle tobacco too, so will there have to be smoking wardens?

UM is a nice place

Our guildhall is non-smoking anyway, but that never stops anyone, especially at ones where it is impossible to infiltrate the crowd. Nobody is going to be able to stop someone in the middle on a few thousand people packed into a tiny space smoking.

I hope it is policed though, I hate smelling of smoke.

I thought it was just no smoking in public places? :confused:

In Scotland, a tent would be considered an indoor area therefore you wouldnt be able to smoke. Even bus shelters is considered as indoors. Stadiums too, youd think with the open roof itd be allowed, but its not.

I dont think theyll 'allow' it at festivals, but then what steward is going to be willing to crawl through a roudy crowd to tell someone to stop smoking, whod probbly just laugh at them anywa.

Wardens lurking in the festival grass and bushes who can leap out and catch you and the penalty is an instant ejection from the whole festival - that might be a deterrent. On the other hand might lead to bruised, brutalised and heavily mocked wardens. :D

People manage 9 hours on a plane, but 2 or 3 days might be difficult for the average smoker.

UM is a nice place

I find it annoying when people smoke in seriously confined places, like nightclubs and gigs. I've nearly been burned quite a few times by people dancing with cigarettes in their hands. There's just no need in the middle of a dancefloor or a packed gig. I couldn't stand there with a knife in my hand or a flaming torch, so why are they allowed to stand there with something lit and dangerous that they could burn someone else with? There was this annoying bint at Maximo Park who was getting a wide berth because she was dancing with a cigarette in the middle of a packed crowd and no one wanted to get burnt.

I don't think it will change much really, banning smoking in gigs. People will still do it and it'll be very hard to stop them.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

they cant stop cannabis, i dont understand why they are so uptight over it. they allowed smoking and drinkng all these years etc. well with the type of crowd at one big woodstock it was to be expected, you cant stop it though.

on the grid.

I don't think it's necessarily indoors. As pubs here are building shelters for those who around going to be standing outside to smoke as of this summer.

It is necessarily indoors. Its technically places with a roof and walls I believe. I don't know what kind of shelters will be acceptable for pubs.

I know at my work anyway we don't seem to have any problems with people smoking at the gigs. There's a protocol apparently, if we catch someone smoking and ask them to stop, and they give us aggro, we have to radio a "code blue" hehe!

caitlynmac.png