Unofficial Mills

Kelly's Book Club

Kelly

Well, since we have "John's Movie Club", I thought I'd start one for books! I dunno if any of you like to read books for the fun of it (I've met many people who don't), but if you do, why not let everyone know?

Are there any books you're either reading now or have read that you'd recommend to anyone?

I'm reading Queen Camilla by Sue Townsend at the minute, and I love it! It's about the Royal Family, who have been ousted from the Palace and are now living on a council estate, and their struggle to re-instate the Monarchy. It's hilarious! What makes it better is the fact that all the dogs in the book talk too! :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not a fan of reading books, as, to be perfectly honest, i have the attention span of a 2 year old. Which puts me in a bit of a situation when youve got to read two books for an exam. I made the effort, but didnt quite reach the end of either of them.

Anyone feel free to tell me what happens at the end of The Great Gatsby and Death Of A Salesman.

:D

I've just finished a book called 'The Kite Runner' by an author called Khaled Hosseini. My sister told me about it, so i picked it up from work.

It's really sad but a kind of ironic twist.

It's about this boy from Afganistan who has a rich father, he owns this orphanage but his son is nothing like him. He's a bit of a wimp and his Dad always seem disapointed in him because he's not very sporty, etc.

He has this house servant, and he is best friends with his son bcause they grew up together and they both enter for a kite running comperetion, so that they boy can make is Dad proud.

He wins the competition but then his servant has something happen to him, and the boy is too scared to say he witnessed it because he doesn't want his Dad to be ashamed and it affects him all his life.

It ends kind of positively but I'd definately recomend it anyway!

geekgeekgeekgeekgeekgeek

I'm reading Queen Camilla by Sue Townsend at the minute, and I love it! It's about the Royal Family, who have been ousted from the Palace and are now living on a council estate, and their struggle to re-instate the Monarchy. It's hilarious! What makes it better is the fact that all the dogs in the book talk too! :D

I'm sure I've read that but it wasn't called that. *thinks*

I've read the Great Gatsby. Not even because I had to. Can't remember what happens though, it wasn't great.

Nevil Shute- A town like Alice. Ace book. So's the film they made

There/ They're/ Their. Different words.

After having a spring clean and finding it i'm now reading love all the people by bill hicks i'd forgotten how funny it actually was and what a much missed comic genius he was. It contains a lot of his stand up and things like that.

Kelly are you and john unofficiall mills answer to richard & judy :)

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!

I think I have a version of that book Kelly mentioned but it's called The Queen And I.

I'm a sucker for Dan Brown books, Angels and Demons was the best.

I was just reading that this morning. The first time I read that one, I literally refused to put it down. Now I'm reading it for the second time as it's quite a while since I first read it.

I don't read as much as I'd like to. I tend to mostly read in the holidays, when I go to the library and get a stack of books and read as many of them as catch my interest. A great novel that females would like is Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding (author of Bridget Jones' Diary) which is kind of like a James Bond-style detective story with a Bridget Jones-type character at the centre of it. It's a little bit trashy but a really good read and one I had trouble putting down: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olivia-Joules-Overactive-Imagination-Fielding/dp/0330432745/ref=sr_1_1/026-1992916-0003666?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176216926&sr=1-1

My favourite author is Douglas Coupland, a Canadian. He wrote Microserfs, about a bunch of Microsoft employees who quit their jobs to set up their own company, Generation X, about a bunch of young people who are fed up with their 'McJobs' and a load of other great books.

I also like books by Nick Hornby. About A Boy is darker than the film version, it involves a girl obsessed with Kurt Cobain, while still being funny, and I'd definitely recommend reading it. High Fidelity is a book about a guy obsessed with music who is examining what is wrong with his romantic life. A Long Way Down is a book about 4 suicidally depressive people which actually left me feeling quite positive after reading it.

I do like books, I could go on, but I'll spare you all...

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I have to advertise the cherub series by Robert Muchamore. There a bit like alex Rider however there much more like real life and more beliveable. I suppose it does also help that i know the author which eventually lead to a character in one of the books being named after me but thats another story.

Ah, The Queen and I is the prequal to this book I think. I haven't read that one, but it hasn't confused me in the slightest!

I love Dan Brown too, but I couldn't get into Demons and Angels. I always thought Digital Fortress was his best one.

Haha, me and John as Richard and Judy? That's brilliant!

The thing I found with Dan Brown, by the time you read the 4th book, whichever way round you read it, it starts to seem a little formulaic. I liked Deception Point too, I liked the arctic setting. I found Angels and Demons much more exciting than the Da Vinci Code. His books are a bit like Harry Potter though, in that they're good, but everyone's read them and the media are going crazy about them.

My favourite book is 'The Lovely Bones'

has anybody ever read that?

Love that book. Have you read her other book 'Lucky'?

The most recent book I read was 'Stories We Could Tell' by Tony Parsons. I've read all his books now, and really enjoyed them all.

I could go on about books for ages, but I'll add more as I think of it!

The most recent book I read was 'Stories We Could Tell' by Tony Parsons. I've read all his books now, and really enjoyed them all.

I really like his stuff. The first of his books I read was The Family Way. I've also read Man and Boy, which is about a man who cheats on his wife then has to look after his young son, and the sequel, Man and Wife, and One For My Baby. He is one of my favourite authors.

I was reading Richard Hammond's book today, and oh my god, it has pictures. I just creamed!!

Read it aaages ago! :rolleyes: But I didn't do that! Might read it tonight actually, the pictures ARE very nice (especially the one on the introduction pages).

Also, I go away for 4 hours and become the subject of an innuendo?! Honestly, you people have no shame. ;)

Best books I've read recently were:

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

This Book Will Save Your Life by AM Holmes

and The Virgin Sucides by Jeffrey Eugenides

My all-time favourite authors are Irvine Welsh (all of his books are amazing except Marabou Stork Nightmares), Augusten Burroughs and Bret Easton Ellis.

caitlynmac.png