Unofficial Mills

Should I be put to sleep at the hospital?

Jono

A few months ago I had a biopsy of the bowels, now they want to put a camera that way and look around. Now last time it was very painful, so this time they're giving me the option of being sedated and being put to sleep.

My mum doesn't like the idea, and thinks I should brave it out. What do you think? It means going two hours earlier as well.

Do it, I was such a wuss I asked for the "magic gel" for them to put the canuler(sp) in and now I ask for it all the time when I get Blood taken. Mind you I was on alot of Morphine so I probs said a load of rubbbish.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

I thought you meant 'put to sleep' like the put an animal to sleep! :confused:

I understand that it's painful, but they are risks when you go under anesthetic, which you can avoid by not going under. If it was my choice, I think I'd just put up with the pain.

Maybe John would be a good person to talk to about this, seeing as he's a nurse?

I hope it all goes as well as it can. :)

I thought you meant 'put to sleep' like the put an animal to sleep! :confused:

I understand that it's painful, but they are risks when you go under anesthetic, which you can avoid by not going under. If it was my choice, I think I'd just put up with the pain.

Maybe John would be a good person to talk to about this, seeing as he's a nurse?

I hope it all goes as well as it can. :)

yea i thought that aswell! go for it its up to you but if it hurts have it done when you cant feel it about the two hours earlier, isint it worth it if you cant feel anything? its up to you do what you think right!

Charli's in love with the new Panic At The Disco album

Have the pain relief Jono the risk is minimal and there's no reason to suffer unnecessarily. There's a fashion in medicine at the moment to give the least pain releif possible - I don't like this fashion...a few Consultants should be made to undergo procedures without much anaesthesia, I'll bet there'd soon be a change in their thinking!

UM is a nice place

Get put to sleep. Its like women who refuse pain relief when giving birth, its unneccessary to go through that pain.

Feeling a bit drowsy afterwards and a few unlikely risks is worth it surely? I dont know, but i dont fancy no camera going anywhere near me when i was awake :/

Good luck though, hope everything goes ok.

DC they want to use a little camara to see if the operation that he had worked and its not infected!:P

Kind of. I had a biopsy to check for cancer cells, now they want to find out what has been causing me discomfort for the last five years. They were keen to do a full check of the bowels instead of a short examination. Then on Thursday, I'm having some heart tests, and then I'm going about my blurry vision the week after. It's gonna be a fun easter! Anyway, just wanted your opinions as opposed to sympathy.

Kind of. I had a biopsy to check for cancer cells, now they want to find out what has been causing me discomfort for the last five years. They were keen to do a full check of the bowels instead of a short examination. Then on Thursday, I'm having some heart tests, and then I'm going about my blurry vision the week after. It's gonna be a fun easter! Anyway, just wanted your opinions as opposed to sympathy.

o well you had a bit of both! anyway hope it all goes well for you!!!:D

Charli's in love with the new Panic At The Disco album

Hmmmm, it's a bit of a tricky decision, I personally have a bit of an irrational phobia of being put to sleep and then having people do things to me that I don't know about while I'm unconscious so I'd probably just choose to put up with it. I would feel a lot better actually knowing what it was that was being done to me... no smart-arse comments or "G'mornin"s please.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

When you say 'put to sleep', do you mean a full anaesthetic or some kind of sedative that won't put you fully out? There's a tiny tiny risk with an anaesthetic. You're probably more likely to die on the way to the hospital that from the anaesthetic.

It's up to you really if you want to be put to sleep or not. I had a general anaesthetic when I had my tonsils out and I felt ok afterwards, just tired. The morphine made me hallucinate, which would have terrified me normally, but it also made me feel really relaxed about it.

As a general rule though, if a doctor says "this might be quite uncomfortable", it will hurt like hell, so you're not being a wimp by doing whatever it takes to lessen the pain.

I hope your medical treatment goes well.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I'd be put to sleep!

I agree, theres nothing better than being pain free. When I was in hospital last year I had the option to be put to sleep when they wanted to do an exploratory thing with the camera and I said yeah id have it. Although they didnt need to do it in the end cos the scan showed up alrite it still was the best option.

(My Consultant might want to do it in the future if im in pain again..)

Cos I was on the kids ward and it was something stupid like 2am in the morning and I was half asleep I got the option to have the magic gel when they put my canuler in. All I can say is that Stuff is mint but left me with a huge irritant afterwards.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

If it was me I think I would choose the being put to sleep option rather than having to deal with pain but I also know if it was one of my friends or my family I would be worried that they wouldn't wake up again as I have a paranoia about that so then I'd tell them not to!

Don't think that helped! lol

Good luck tho Jono, hope it all goes well :D

glitzy.jpg