Snow

Ad

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm quite surprised at how the snow is being handled here in Leeds. At home in London we're all pussys *excuse my French* when it comes to bad weather :P Buses stop running, days off work and school, days of collaborative self-pity as we all complain and moan about how awful everything is etc. But in't North I was expecting everyone to battle on regardless of the amount of white stuff that covers the ground. Turns out that's not quite the case. Uni closed this afternoon after lectures were moreorless empty. Lecturers not prepared to take risks and cancelling lectures. No buses seem to be running down my road, streets empty etc etc. Turns out the people of Leeds are made of the same stuff as Londoners.

Normally I use snow days as an opportunity to roam around shops while it's all hassle-free and empty, even if its a nightmare to trek there and back, but these essays have got me locked indoors.

I'd imagine they'd still expect me to turn up at work bang ontime this evening even though it takes me about half an hour to walk up some very steep hills (who's idea was it to build a city on such a steep hill?!) wearing wafer thin uniform and shoes with zero grip :( The risks they expect me to take for £6 an hour..

Lots of snow yesterday, but even more today - pretty much didn't stop all morning through to early afternoon. Driving into Leeds not so much a problem, but getting home - crikey! People round here seem to lose their minds when it comes to driving in snowy conditions. The number of people WAY too close behind just amazes me - they've obviously never had to deal with insurance companies much...

It all looks wonderful, but it's a right royal pain in the a**se at the moment. Especially as I'm on-call and may have to go back in at any time - with no buses or taxis operating, it only leaves driving really as it's too far to walk, and that means digging the car back out again. As I'm sure John would confirm, this is one of the NHS's busiest times, so you just have to be there day to day.

Meh! (but I secretly like it all really!)