Unofficial Mills

Kids on wheels

Lucinda

Has anyone else noticed lately that loads of kids now have wheels attached to or integrated into their trainers? I keep being hit by kids gliding along on these wheels.

I remember they tried to release trainers with wheels in a few years back, but they weren't very successful. In the last week or two, I've seen loads of kids on wheels though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5323086.stm here's a BBC article about it. I'm not going mad, the kids do have wheels.... Is it just a London thing, or is it common elsewhere as well?

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

There's loads of kids on wheels round here too. I really don't think they should be allowed to skate around in shops, it's unsafe!

(Oh. My. God. How old does that make me sound?! :-?)

Very. Hahah! Joking love you really! Yeaah they should be banned!

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I don't think that everything should be banned. There's some interesting opinions under the BBC article. I think they're unsafe in crowded shopping centres, when old people are around. But kids get under my feet in shopping centres whether they're on wheels or running around. I don't think they should be banned in non-crowded areas, but they are annoying in crowded areas. Skateboards, bikes and roller blades are banned from shopping centres, so in the same context, these wheel things shouldn't be allowed. I've seen kids in the park with them on, which is fine.

Woolworths were also selling wheels which clip on to the sides of trainers, which seemed to be popular.

Heely's are not very safe though which is the main problem, atleast Skates and blades have brakes on them.

Here is a story I found on Heely's in the US.

KIDS were warned to beware of trainers with roller-skate style wheels in the heels after it was revealed a boy suffered brain damage when he slipped in front of a car.

Trendy £55 Heelys shoes — worn by X Factor’s Ray Quinn — have been a must-have Christmas gift.

But their US makers face a multi-million pound lawsuit after Carlos Procell, 10, rolled back in his as he crossed a road and was hit by a car.

The schoolboy suffered serious head and chest injuries and has been in hospital for a month.

His New Jersey family is suing for compensation, saying the shoes should be fitted with brakes.

Last night Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, urged children here to take care.

He said: “Use common sense. Read the instructions and safety tips.

“In the US case, the boy was wearing his Heelys to cross a road. We’d advise against that.”

Typical US. Fitted with brakes? I bet the kid wouldn't have used them anyway. It's not much different to a kid running across a road and being hit by a car. People complain about kids getting obese, but then complain about any risks involved in physical activities. In my day...... if you fell over, you fell over. You didn't try to sue anyone.

Yup, huge craze up here aswell. I swear one kid deliberately knocked me over. When i say knocked over, i mean she happened to nudge me as she wheeled past, but thats not the bloody point.

Theyre all over school aswell. They think theyre so cool, behind teachers backs with their wheels, wheeling around the place. Next kid i see that nidges me again whilst on wheels will *accidently* be tripped up...

They've been around for about five years or so, but the've definitley just had a surge in popularity. Still, anything which will enable you to get around using the least amount of energy and using the minimum muscular effort. All the kids here who have them seem to be of the extremely chunky variety. Coincidence?