Unofficial Mills

Dean and Vicky Hawkesworth to present Radio 1 afternoons

Jono

BBC Radio 1 have announced that Dean McCullough and Vicky Hawkesworth will join forces to host a brand-new daytime show (Monday – Thursday, 1pm - 3.30pm) on the network, with the first show broadcasting on Monday 5 September 2022. It will be the first weekday programme to move out of London and broadcast from Salford as part of the BBC’s Across The UK plans, announced by the Director General in 2021.

Dean and Vicky will be taking over from Scott Mills and Chris Stark who announced their departure from Radio 1 last Friday 1 July.

Both Dean and Vicky were given their first opportunity to host on the station during the 2020 festive period as part of Radio 1’s Christmas Takeover - an initiative created by Head of BBC Radio 1, Aled Haydn Jones - which provides a valuable springboard for emerging presenters, giving them a once in a lifetime opportunity to broadcast on the UK’s biggest youth radio station.

From there, Northern Ireland’s Dean permanently joined Radio 1 in September 2021 to host weekends (Friday – Sunday, 10.30am – 1pm) and has quickly proved a huge success amongst listeners. He has brought his infectious energy to weekend mornings and has interviewed stars such as Anne-Marie, Aitch and Tom Grennan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/bbc-radio-1-dean-mccullough-vicky-hawkesworth-afternoon-show-salford

Underwhelmed to be honest, and signed up here just to vent my frustration. This time 2 years ago I could listen to Radio 1 for 12 hours straight, now all I have left is Greg in the mornings and Danny Howard on Friday night.

Maybe the pandemic changed a lot of the presenters' perspectives, but just feels like the BBC have been caught short and they've been replaced with a mediocre lineup. Only presenters I like who've come through recently are Katie, Jordan and Jack Saunders. 

I hope Jordan gets his own afternoon show sharpish, he's much better when it's just him interacting with listeners.

Also a bit gutted for Matt. Think he'll be the next to announce his departure.

True, is that strategy working for them though? I'm 28, and I don't know anyone even my age who listens to the radio. All my friends use Spotify, and I'd imagine teenagers even more so. I'm certainly not Radio 2's target demographic (yet) but even I'm starting to feel unwanted here.

Besides that, Steve Wright's listeners seem even more distraught with the news than I am ?

I guess it will take next year's listening figures to find out.

Whooooooo!!? I mean that in jest, as I'm actually too old for Radio 1 anyway. Aside from Scott the only other daytime presenter I've listened in to is Jordan North. He's pretty good and deserved a go on afternoons imo.

on the grid.

4 hours ago, Jono said:

I mean nobody expects the Scott Mills fansite to be delighted with whoever replaces Scott and Chris. But I think it's clear water between Radio 1 and Radio 2 - which is perhaps what bosses will want.

I think this is maybe where I am finally getting old for Radio 1.  I still love most of the output but I just don't get Dean's style and maybe it is me rather than him.  

What do those of you right in the demographic think of the change?

(BTW - How much more civil are we about change to the Radio 2 lot? ? )

10 minutes ago, Darren m said:

I wonder if Sam and dani will get the chart show 

I don’t know but quite possibly James Cusack could be another name its quite something that there are some big risks being made with McCullough, Hawkesworth and O’Leary given some high profile slots. Think Aled is taking a very different approach to it not having people to work the early hours before something big to open up. Think and do hope we’ll see some big risks to be made with Radio 1. Think each reshuffle theres an idea of something different at work.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I would rather do the new music show than the breakfast show early starts, being cheery and entertaining isn’t my vibe and being hip and on trend. With new music it’s a different kettle of fish that could get my teeth into and enjoy researching and planning of the show and coming up with ideas and making my mark in away that I don’t think I have the ideas for a breakfast. I don’t see how it could be alienating but I enjoy the niche and speciality of expertise that new music shows gives it’s good spot of giving you the headlines and setting the agenda of mainstream music.
    • Absolutely, Jack is such an incredible broadcaster already, incredibly entertaining with such brilliant music knowledge and his excitement is contagious, I've never really listened to New Music Shows like Future Sounds but I'm instantly invested in new music due to his show, as I'm sure many others are too.  yes the effects are a little strange but after listening back they're strangely charming when you get used to them. 
    • Jack has smashed it He was born for this show, he said he’d been dreaming of it and you could tell. Such passion and energy as always with Jack but in a show that can grab people’s attention and drag them down the rabbit hole of new music if you had a keen interest in discovering new music but haven’t in a while, new music shows can be alienating with no familiarity until you ‘get into it’ - the new show has ensured you can ease into to get back into sync . i love the Zane influences - he will be the forefront of where every emerging and returning artist wants to be with this show . Very excited for this chapter
    • Oh I though they were nbh studios   
    • Yes, I feel that unless it’s for a special sessions with a large ensemble band that for live sessions going out live on the radio. Never saw why they haven’t used the live lounge studio and feel that room could be used more.  
    • Interesting now Zane has for apple interviewed anything from an artists that have charted and doing less interviews with new and emerging talents chatting to Shakira, Usher, Kelly Clarkson and Shania Twain. Yes, that is a positive thing about Jack Saunders. Although I don’t mind it from time to time for a presenter to be honest and spill an unsavoury opinion about music on the station like Annie did with Fall Out Boy.
    • Interesting Jack mentioned they've got new studios at Maida Vale; you'd think, with the move to Stratford, they wouldn't bother update the studios so close to the end...
    • I assume it's meant to appeal to a TikTok generation
    • Yep Jack is very much Radio 1's modern day Zane Lowe - but with the bonus that he does feel a bit a bit more open-minded and open to chart stuff than Zane was. I could never imagine Zane being a chart host the way Jack is - I always had the sense if Zane didn't approve of your music taste he'd make you well aware of it.
    • I will still call them sessions as feel with gigs it makes you think of a live tangible means of going to listen to a band play music and not virtually tuning in via the medium of radio.
    • He does what the show needs regardless of how annoying some people may find his presentation style is like. I feel and very much do hope he is in for the long haul and could atleast do four years where his energy may into be as always as bouncy. But he has the knowledge, passion and interaction and not so overbearing but very much so sense of confidence that you need. I think he could easily have a good Zane Lowe like era. Just hope that they consider doing a new late night live music show as I do miss that something of what he had in the early days of the indie show and when Huw Stephens was on live at the after ten slot
    • Speaking of the sessions, they've been renamed Live Gigs for any forum members not listening to the show & reading this later
    • I’ve found the jingles are annoying and going to grate on the listener quickly. It’s a good opening week with big name hottest records and sessions
    • With the effects I'm half expecting a massive whoooooo soon