Unofficial Mills

Multiple personality disorder

Lucinda

Do you think this is an actual psychological problem? Or are there people who just pretend to be more than one person because they find it amusing or are lonely?

Do you think that people who use a different personality online, or a number of different personalities online, could have MPD? What about people with imaginary friends?

What do you think?

For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

Controversy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_personality_controversy

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I think it's a social factor, but either way you have to remember the diathesis-stress syndrome where physiological issues come into it as well.

Dunno what that means but I have 2 profiles on Myspace, it's just easier as I can be my bad self on one and not the other (you're all on the good one). Surely everyone has different sides to them and will behave differently with mates, say than they will with their grandma?

UM is a nice place

The manifestation of "multiple personalities" tends to be a symptom of mental illness rather than a specific mental illness in itself, this is one of the aspects of it which makes it such a difficult condition to analyse. One of the many problems with mental illness is that people with exactly the same biochemical and physiological "disease" can manifest very different symptoms - because the manifestation of their illness is personal, and comes from their personal experiences, their environment and upbringing etc. And then on top of that you get the bandwagon jumpers, people trying to pretend (which is often an symptom of yet another form of mental illness), and most of all you get confused and overburdened medical teams misdiagnosing because they are so bombarded with information and advice, much of it conflicting, that they really don't know if they are coming or going these days. Nightmare.

I wish I could do that... someday, I am going to be a real wikiped... (cue national anthem or something)... and you should be proud that I'm apologising to you, not many people get that over the internet! I am in real life, a lovely person, I just have an evil internet personality. Mwahahaha. And all that.

Fen and Bayles

Wednesday - 6pm

www.radiocabin.co.uk