callum

Does God exist??  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Does God exist??

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Floella Benjamin

Seriously, no, I don't. I don't believe there's anything: no Gaia, no God, no spirit world - nada. It's all in the human psyche. It's all human creation. Fantasy. Mojo. Piffle. Poppycock. Balderdash!

I think The Bible was a code of laws, designed to make people behave more correctly or however those who wrote it believed people should behave in just the same way as the constitution of a state sets out how a state should run.

I think religion is a dying duck though. Fewer people attend church these days. Some claim to still be religious and have a faith, but I think there is an increasing secularism, primarily amongst the youth, that will take hold of society and flower over the next several decades, creating a less religious, more secular Britain where, perhaps, equality and tolerance instead of God, rules behaviour.

Dont believe a word of it, if there really was a god then there would be no war, no diseases and everybody would be happy clappy chappies.

But when people go through illness, or the death of a loved one or something like that and make it through it, don't you think it makes them a stronger person? To truly appreciate happy times, don't you have to had experience of bad times? Maybe that's what God/a god wants?

I find that people who are REAl christains are nice people, but that the ones who keep going on about it all the time are usually the people who want the attention and people to think that they are good because they are christians, i think those people are wrong, there are some dodgy christians,

LOVE WILL TEAR US APART

From wikipedia - "we the cut & paste generation" I voted for floella

"God is dead" is not meant literally, as in "God is now physically dead"; rather, it is Nietzsche's way of saying that the idea of God is no longer capable of acting as a source of any moral code or teleology. Nietzsche recognises the crisis which the death of God represents for existing moral considerations, because "When one gives up the Christian faith, one pulls the right to Christian morality out from under one's feet. This morality is by no means self-evident.... By breaking one main concept out of Christianity, the faith in God, one breaks the whole: nothing necessary remains in one's hands."[1] This is why in "The Madman", the madman addresses not believers, but atheists — the problem is to retain any system of values in the absence of a divine order.

The death of God is a way of saying that humans are no longer able to believe in any such cosmic order since they themselves no longer recognize it. The death of God will lead, Nietzsche says, not only to the rejection of a belief of cosmic or physical order but also to a rejection of absolute values themselves — to the rejection of belief in an objective and universal moral law, binding upon all individuals. In this manner, the loss of an absolute basis for morality leads to nihilism. This nihilism is what Nietzsche worked to find a solution for by re-evaluating the foundations of human values. This meant, to Nietzsche, looking for foundations that went deeper than the Christian values most Christians refuse to look beyond.

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!