Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Out Out Live on TV

Jono

It's odd something as significant to Radio 1 as the Out Out event only gets a 11.30pm slot on BBC One. I know we have iPlayer these days but surely they could find a Sunday afternoon slot for 'live' music?

The live coverage of Reading and Leeds was tucked away so late too. The BBC Music brand was great when it started but doesn't get much time on the prime time schedule.

They seem to have given up covering events like Out Out live and before that the Teen Awards.

I remember a few years back watching the Teen Awards live on the Red Button in those days and then in the following years, it got just radio coverage and then no live radio coverage at all.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:36 PM, BBCAaron said:

Mind you don’t see why CBBC, BBC Three, Radio 1, and 1 Xtra aren’t more linked

CBBC already have links to Radio 1, have done for a fair few years. Although there is some crossover, they target mostly separate audiences, so there isn't much need for more linking between the two.

BBC One is mostly repeats this afternoon, I agree it wouldn't have hurt to put out the highlights of Out Out Live! about now. However... The majority of those watching One at this time would likely not have interest in it, those wanting highlights will more likely watch it back on iPlayer.

I just feel like more so recently BBCs content has become more scrambled and jumbled up and bit messy and hard to access multi media content. With live events or content on radio 1 would be able to get video stream on website and it should be able to do so on app or website

Agree with you Max Clayton that being able to watch stuff like Live lounge watch live on website it’s not the same if it’s just audio now and video drops later. Through Greg’s drive show he did some fun,, creative innovative stuff for livestreams and video content. I understand that Radio 1s resources have become more strained and with switching of teams behind the scene some stuff have dwindled out but feel best station to have done video content for its audience it’s a shame that it’s not as same focus today.

I don't think it's where they want their social media direction to go, but I honestly still will keep saying I think more behind-the-scenes stuff is what they should be doing. Facebook Live and Instagram Live from Radio 1 Out Out, content from the shows. It's what will make them stand out over their rivals, rather than just Harry Styles and BTS content. At the end of their day their aim is to have people listening to the station, not doing what Capital does. I'd love to have seen Charlie Hedges' DJ set at Out Out for example.. it was left to the DJs Instagram feeds to offer glimpses.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

I don't think it's where they want their social media direction to go, but I honestly still will keep saying I think more behind-the-scenes stuff is what they should be doing. Facebook Live and Instagram Live from Radio 1 Out Out, content from the shows. It's what will make them stand out over their rivals, rather than just Harry Styles and BTS content. At the end of their day their aim is to have people listening to the station, not doing what Capital does. I'd love to have seen Charlie Hedges' DJ set at Out Out for example.. it was left to the DJs Instagram feeds to offer glimpses.

Couldn’t agree more, even know Kiss’s app is looking to offer livestreams of events on their app and content like that . Think with the desire to get more people to listen to the programming that radio 1 has live or has on bbc sounds use it to show what’s coming up on different shows with menu of features that’s coming up like on twitter a tweet of what’s on Scott’s show what’s hottest record make it a staple point of doing daily like that in bbc sounds get behind the scenes clips of artists practicing ahead of live lounge or some bloopers of pre recorded content. There’s simple cost effective ideas of better social media use that capital Dance knows how to do aswell as Jazz FM or any risks station like Times, LBC etc think cross brand whether 6 Music, 5 Live Radio 1 … feel social media was better prior to BBC sounds arguably with people want modern and cohesive branding surely that should change narrative and have different strategy to social media. As do think that currently there are some imaging issues that BBC need to resolve to be favourable with the consumer

Yes, saw Charlie’s Instagram post and was shocked to see it on BBC Four. Really doesn’t fit in with the channel overall?

They could easily make it a monthly or so show on BBC Three & include some retro performances on months when they don’t have enough new content. 

2 hours ago, R1Fan1 said:

I’d argue that they need to promote Radio 1 a bit more on TV. I don’t think there’s been a trailer recently except for the breakfast show last year. One to promote the new line up might have been a good idea.

Agree and something that i could imagine with the new branding of bbc radio sounds apart from possibly new bbc sounds oriented podcasts and playlists possibly no. That there wont be much on air change nbut when the new logos and new design for bbc sounds its likely that they may go for new marketing and promotion across television and social media as then think the stations with have different taglines and some PR cosmetic changes to have fresh ads.

Probably think then BBC Sounds may get a new advert and promotions. 

Interms of the BBC R1 Livelounge think on BBC Two maybe eaerly evening prime would work as not convinced on BBC Three on tv again. 

Interms of the promotions that BBC Radio 1 does next year think as BBC is 100 then and Radio has always been something BBC has done it would be good to have a nod to the evolution and the timelessness of radio and radio stations like Radio 1. But with a lot going into the rebrand and abit of tv airtime of tv programme links featuring tv liscense advertisements maybe Radio 1 hasnt got the most in budget for television adverts