Unofficial Mills

Christmas & New Year (Dec 21-Jan 22)

BBCAaron

With talk around some of the scheduling and possibilities around what would be broadcasted or what BBC Radio & BBC Sounds may announce over Christmas and new year room for suggestions, commentary general thoughts as announced in press packages and appears on scheduling 

1 minute ago, BBCAaron said:

With talk around some of the scheduling and possibilities around what would be broadcasted or what BBC Radio & BBC Sounds may announce over Christmas and new year room for suggestions, commentary general thoughts as announced in press packages and appears on scheduling 

I personally think possibly would be good to have as many of the permanent presenters working til 23rd. 

Possibly Katie Thistleton, Adele Roberts, Sian Eleri covering some slots and early b who ever the rFriday presenter until Christmas Eve 

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve I’d go with 10 hour takeover from 08:00-06:00 possibly have 

Scott & Chris 07:00-10:00 doing breakfast sometimes find great doing run up to Christmas breakfast then 

Dean McCullough 10:00-13:00 

Katie Thistleton 13:00-16:00

Adele Roberts 16:00-18:00

Radio 1’s Stars Christmas Takeover (running from Christmas 24/12-01/01 (like when would have stars like Anne Marie, BTS, Jax Jones, Little Mix presenting and had Ollie Alexander and Charlie XCX in summer) 18:00-19:00

controversially since wouldn’t happen anyway 

Radio 1’s Official Chart Show with Vick Hope & Jordan North 19:00-21:00

Sarah Storey’s Christmas Party Anthems 21:00-23:00

Jack Saunders’s Indie Christmas 23:00-01:00

CHRISTMAS DAY

Sian Eleri’s Chillest Christmas 01:00-03:00

R1 Chill Mix (Back to Back) 03:00-04:00

Radio 1 Relax with Xmas Newbie 04:00-06:00 

Scott Mills’s Christmas Breakfast with one or two golden moments 06:00-10:00

Greg James’s Christmas Special 2021 (Best Bits package links to features) 10:00-12:00

Scott Mills Golden Moments 2021 Christmas Special (Pre Record) 12:00-14:00

Vick & Jordan’s Christmas Special 2021 (Pre Record) 14:00-16:00

Christmas Anthems with Dean McCullough 16:00-18:00 (Live)

Radio 1 Stars Christmas Takeover 18:00-19:00 (Pre-record)

Jeremiah Asiamah’s Christmas House Party 19:00-22:00 (Pre-record)

Chillest Christmas with Sian Eleri 22:00-00:00(Repeated Pre Record) 

BOXING DAY

Radio 1 Relax programming with pilot Future Chill, Future Beats, BBC Introducing Chill Mix, Your Songs something like tat

I'm going to put my guess in for the festive period:

Mon 20-Thurs 23 December

4am One of the rotation presenters

7am Matt & Mollie (maybe just Matt?- been like that in previous years)

10:30am Adele Roberts

1pm Scott & Chris  

3:30pm Arielle Free

6pm Jack Saunders

8pm Sian Eleri (Nels Hylton Thurs)

XMAS Eve

7am Adele Roberts

10:30am Dean McCullough

1pm Katie Thistleton

Chart- Scott Mills

Then Danny, Sarah & Pete

XMAS Day

7am-11am Dean McCullough

2pm-6pm Arielle Free or Katie Thistleton

New Years Eve

5pm-9pm Arielle Free

9pm-1am Charlie Hedges

1 hour ago, michaelb said:

Mon 20-Thurs 23 December

1pm Scott & Chris  

6pm Jack Saunders

XMAS Eve

7am Adele Roberts

1pm Katie Thistleton

Chart- Scott Mills

Then Danny, Sarah & Pete

XMAS Day

7am-11am Dean McCullough

New Years Eve

5pm-9pm Arielle Free

9pm-1am Charlie Hedges

I feel Charlie Hedges will be on some point on NYE always felt they could’ve done an R1 Dance or Essential Mix special on NYE wonder if Scott will do any Radio 2

If I had to guess...

Early Breakfast in the run up to Christmas hosted by one of the recent Friday EB presenters

Matt & Mollie on breakfast from Monday 20th-Thursday 23rd with Matt solo on Christmas Eve. 

Dean McCollough between 10:30 & 1 and Katie Thistleton between 1 & 4 on Christmas Eve.

Scott with the chart on Christmas Eve... then Christmas Day breakfast (although I suspect as Xmas Day is a Saturday.. there will be a pre recorded Christmas special of his 5 live Show too). Last time the 25th fell on a Saturday.. the weekend breakfast presenter did breakfast (Dev at the time) so maybe it will be the same again with Adele? I hope it's Scott, though. I dare say he'll be popping up on Radio 2 over the Christmas holiday, too.

Arielle in for Vick & Jordan 20th-23rd December.

Boxing Day to New Year's Eve is new presenters as we know. 

3 hours ago, NathanS said:

If I had to guess...

Early Breakfast in the run up to Christmas hosted by one of the recent Friday EB presenters

Matt & Mollie on breakfast from Monday 20th-Thursday 23rd with Matt solo on Christmas Eve. 

Dean McCollough between 10:30 & 1 and Katie Thistleton between 1 & 4 on Christmas Eve.

Scott with the chart on Christmas Eve... then Christmas Day breakfast (although I suspect as Xmas Day is a Saturday.. there will be a pre recorded Christmas special of his 5 live Show too). Last time the 25th fell on a Saturday.. the weekend breakfast presenter did breakfast (Dev at the time) so maybe it will be the same again with Adele? I hope it's Scott, though. I dare say he'll be popping up on Radio 2 over the Christmas holiday, too.

Arielle in for Vick & Jordan 20th-23rd December.

Boxing Day to New Year's Eve is new presenters as we know. 

It would be good to hear him covering on Radio 2 on Christmas period maybe he’ll be on Radio 2 NYE though think that it would be good for Radio 2 have different party genres or soundtracks maybe

Johnnie Walker with NYE’s Rock Party on Radio 2

Ana Matronic’s NYE Dance Party on Radio 2

Sophie Ellis Bextor’s NYE Kitchen Disco on Radio 2

Pete Tong’s NYE House Party on Radio 2

DJ Spoonie’s NYE Garage Party on Radio 2

Dave Pearce’s NYE All Night Party on Radio 2

9 hours ago, michaelb said:

Mon 20-Thurs 23 December

1pm Scott & Chris  

6pm Jack Saunders

XMAS Eve

7am Adele Roberts

1pm Katie Thistleton

Chart- Scott Mills

Then Danny, Sarah & Pete

XMAS Day

7am-11am Dean McCullough

New Years Eve

5pm-9pm Arielle Free

9pm-1am Charlie Hedges

Agree with the vast majority of this apart from Xmas Day - I predict, and very much hope, Scott does breakfast as usual...

40 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

Agree with the vast majority of this apart from Xmas Day - I predict, and very much hope, Scott does breakfast as usual...

Yes there’s only been a few occasions when he hasn’t when Dev does it think. Depends on what type of stuff he ends up doing on Radio 2 over Christmas  

20 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

It would be good to hear him covering on Radio 2 on Christmas period maybe he’ll be on Radio 2 NYE though think that it would be good for Radio 2 have different party genres or soundtracks maybe

Johnnie Walker with NYE’s Rock Party on Radio 2

Ana Matronic’s NYE Dance Party on Radio 2

Sophie Ellis Bextor’s NYE Kitchen Disco on Radio 2

Pete Tong’s NYE House Party on Radio 2

DJ Spoonie’s NYE Garage Party on Radio 2

Dave Pearce’s NYE All Night Party on Radio 2

That doesn't sound too bad. Dave Pearce never appeared last year so maybe that ship has sailed. I'd be surprised if Pete Tong popped up on R2. It's probably going to be one of Scott, Rylan or Ritchie Anderson on air going into the New Year. There were a few years when R1 just went into back to back music on NYE, thankfully they returned to live presentation a few years back, as in my opinion it's one of the best nights of the year to have live audience interaction (especially with WhatsApp messaging available now).

1 hour ago, NathanS said:

That doesn't sound too bad. Dave Pearce never appeared last year so maybe that ship has sailed. I'd be surprised if Pete Tong popped up on R2. It's probably going to be one of Scott, Rylan or Ritchie Anderson on air going into the New Year. There were a few years when R1 just went into back to back music on NYE, thankfully they returned to live presentation a few years back, as in my opinion it's one of the best nights of the year to have live audience interaction (especially with WhatsApp messaging available now).

I sure few years back he did a four piece hour long house show telling different stories of house music think for people who now listened to Radio 2 is some of the Radio 1 of the 90s listeners and think that having him doing NYE would be good Scott, Rylan (maybe), Richie I feel definatley would be used in XMAS period  new year they’d be most likely for sure. I do find that like Dave doing the R2 NYE was good usually catch up over first week of Jan of what different BBC Radio stations do like 6 Music though found myself listening to bit of capital dance 

1 hour ago, NathanS said:

Yes, agreed and think that it felt essential last year as pretty much all United Kingdom back under some form of lockdown to provide that chat between presenter to have a house party feeling good bit of escapism felt needed then.

When caught Jordan doing it in Radio 1 before was good I find for when he done it felt the pressure of getting the right timing and not going early on countdown. Made right choice previous years of having him doubt he can have people engaged and enjoying more mubdahe chit chat bits 

On 10/16/2021 at 12:07 AM, BBCAaron said:

I personally think possibly would be good to have as many of the permanent presenters working til 23rd. 

Possibly Katie Thistleton, Adele Roberts, Sian Eleri covering some slots and early b who ever the rFriday presenter until Christmas Eve 

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve I’d go with 10 hour takeover from 08:00-06:00 possibly have 

Scott & Chris 07:00-10:00 doing breakfast sometimes find great doing run up to Christmas breakfast then 

Dean McCullough 10:00-13:00 

Katie Thistleton 13:00-16:00

Adele Roberts 16:00-18:00

Radio 1’s Stars Christmas Takeover (running from Christmas 24/12-01/01 (like when would have stars like Anne Marie, BTS, Jax Jones, Little Mix presenting and had Ollie Alexander and Charlie XCX in summer) 18:00-19:00

controversially since wouldn’t happen anyway 

Radio 1’s Official Chart Show with Vick Hope & Jordan North 19:00-21:00

Sarah Storey’s Christmas Party Anthems 21:00-23:00

Jack Saunders’s Indie Christmas 23:00-01:00

CHRISTMAS DAY

Sian Eleri’s Chillest Christmas 01:00-03:00

R1 Chill Mix (Back to Back) 03:00-04:00

Radio 1 Relax with Xmas Newbie 04:00-06:00 

Scott Mills’s Christmas Breakfast with one or two golden moments 06:00-10:00

Greg James’s Christmas Special 2021 (Best Bits package links to features) 10:00-12:00

Scott Mills Golden Moments 2021 Christmas Special (Pre Record) 12:00-14:00

Vick & Jordan’s Christmas Special 2021 (Pre Record) 14:00-16:00

Christmas Anthems with Dean McCullough 16:00-18:00 (Live)

Radio 1 Stars Christmas Takeover 18:00-19:00 (Pre-record)

Jeremiah Asiamah’s Christmas House Party 19:00-22:00 (Pre-record)

Chillest Christmas with Sian Eleri 22:00-00:00(Repeated Pre Record) 

BOXING DAY

Radio 1 Relax programming with pilot Future Chill, Future Beats, BBC Introducing Chill Mix, Your Songs something like tat

Would absolutely LOVE Scott and Chris on Xmas Eve Breakfast, think that would be brilliant.

41 minutes ago, ImMaxClaydon said:

Would absolutely LOVE Scott and Chris on Xmas Eve Breakfast, think that would be brilliant.

I do miss them on breakfast, but that ship has sailed sadly. If Scott is going to be on Christmas Eve, it will be the Christmas Official Chart which falls that day. I hope he still does Christmas Day breakfast even with it falling on a Saturday.  

Will be interesting to how much live programming there is on Christmas Day this year. Last year there was the BFBS takeover which was a really good idea, would be good if that came back. 

3 hours ago, ImMaxClaydon said:

Yes always enjoy the different seasonal features on Scotts show liked hearing him doing Christmas Eve breakfast before

2 hours ago, NathanS said:

I do miss them on breakfast, but that ship has sailed sadly. If Scott is going to be on Christmas Eve, it will be the Christmas Official Chart which falls that day. I hope he still does Christmas Day breakfast even with it falling on a Saturday.  

Will be interesting to how much live programming there is on Christmas Day this year. Last year there was the BFBS takeover which was a really good idea, would be good if that came back. 

I think with Scott it would be the case of what ever cover he’s doing on Radio 2 over Christmas or maybe in a long term relationship if he wants a Christmas Day with the family 

27 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I think with Scott it would be the case of what ever cover he’s doing on Radio 2 over Christmas or maybe in a long term relationship if he wants a Christmas Day with the family 

I hope he doesn't do much on R2, but instead has a proper holiday before back on R1 in January. I think actually he's done enough cover on R2 (with all the double-shifts) not to have anything to prove over the holidays. Those should be covered by the longterm cover folk like Gary Davies IMO, i.e. those who are unlikely to ever move to a proper daytime R2 show.

Agree with your point about Scott and his family - it should be up to him really, as I assume it's been in recent years, if he wants Xmas Breakfast then he should be allowed it but certainly won't be pushed to do so. Hope he does the Xmas chart this year though (on Xmas Eve)

53 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

I hope he doesn't do much on R2, but instead has a proper holiday before back on R1 in January. I think actually he's done enough cover on R2 (with all the double-shifts) not to have anything to prove over the holidays. Those should be covered by the longterm cover folk like Gary Davies IMO, i.e. those who are unlikely to ever move to a proper daytime R2 show.

Agree with your point about Scott and his family - it should be up to him really, as I assume it's been in recent years, if he wants Xmas Breakfast then he should be allowed it but certainly won't be pushed to do so. Hope he does the Xmas chart this year though (on Xmas Eve)

I assume he’d like to do the Christmas chart presented it a few times but i know Scott as a pop music fan loves the prestige of presenting something as iconic. Agree about your point covering they likely go for regular presenters or potentially few celebs chucked in that seems possible but maybe there would be on show and that it. Can’t in reality seeing him doing that much Christmas radio as used to. Think it would be good to have most presenters having Christmas break so refreshed for the January where think then maybe programming another fresher feel 

I was sent this which is apparently this year's Christmas schedule so far. It's anonymous so take with a pinch of salt!

Christmas Eve  
7:00am Radio 1 Breakfast with Greg James 
11:00am Stacey Copeland 
12:45pm Newsbeat 
1:00pm Stacey Copeland 
2:00pm TBC 
6:00pm Danny Howard 
8:00pm Radio 1's Future Dance with Sarah Story 
10:00pm TBC

Christmas Day 
6:00am Happy Hour 
7:00am TBC 
10:00am Scott Makin (pre-recorded) 
1:00pm Laurie Dyche (pre-recorded) 
4:00pm Christmas Anthems with TBC 

Boxing Day 
7:00am Kat Cowan 
10:00am TBC 
1:00pm Arielle Free (pre-recorded) 
4:00pm TBC

1 hour ago, Jono said:

I was sent this which is apparently this year's Christmas schedule so far. It's anonymous so take with a pinch of salt!

Christmas Eve  
7:00am Radio 1 Breakfast with Greg James 
11:00am Stacey Copeland 
12:45pm Newsbeat 
1:00pm Stacey Copeland 
2:00pm TBC 
6:00pm Danny Howard 
8:00pm Radio 1's Future Dance with Sarah Story 
10:00pm TBC

Christmas Day 
6:00am Happy Hour 
7:00am TBC 
10:00am Scott Makin (pre-recorded) 
1:00pm Laurie Dyche (pre-recorded) 
4:00pm Christmas Anthems with TBC 

Boxing Day 
7:00am Kat Cowan 
10:00am TBC 
1:00pm Arielle Free (pre-recorded) 
4:00pm TBC

Take it Stacey, Scott Makin, Lauren and Kat are new Christmas presenters?

4pm on Xmas Eve will be the chart.

42 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

Take it Stacey, Scott Makin, Lauren and Kat are new Christmas presenters?

4pm on Xmas Eve will be the chart.

I searched for them earlier and they all seem to be local BBC presenters. Seems that it won’t be every single slot being covered by new talent this year if Arielle is (pre-recorded for some reason) on Boxing Day afternoon.

Fingers crossed it’s Scott on Christmas Day breakfast. I can see Dean potentially hosting the Christmas Anthems in the afternoon and nice to see (hopefully) Greg on Christmas Eve breakfast for 4 hours. Think that will be a very fun show.

A possible "leak" although no mention of the chart show on the Friday so possibly suspect. 

Friday 24 December
07:00 Radio 1 Breakfast with Vick Hope
TBC
11:00 Stacey Copeland
Stacey takes you towards Christmas
14:00 Jack Saunders
Jack plays you huge hits and anthems as we get ready for Christmas
18:00 Radio 1's Dance Party with Danny Howard
21:00 Christmas Party with Sarah Story

Saturday 25 December
06:00 Happy Hour
1 hour of feel-good hits!
07:00 Xmas Day Breakfast - TBC
10:00 Scott Makin (pre-recorded)
Scott's got a Christmas Special!
13:00 Laurie Dyche (pre-recorded)
Laurie Dyche has a Christmas Special!
16:00 Radio 1 Takeover with Selena Gomez (re-run of 2019 takeover as archive material)
Selena Gomez rounds off our with her selection of festive tunes and personal favourites!
17:00 Christmas Anthems with Sarah Story
19:00 Radio 1's Dance Anthems with TBC

Sunday 26 December
06:00 TBC
07:00 Kat Cowan (uncertain if live, may be pre-recorded)
Kat Cowan wakes you up on Boxing Day morning with huge hits and the best new music
10:00 Xmas Takeover - TBC
11:00 Xmas Takeover - TBC
12:00 Xmas Takeover - TBC
13:00 Arielle Free (pre-recorded)
Arielle Free plays huge hits and the best new music for Boxing Day afternoon
16:00 Jack Saunders (pre-recorded)
Jack plays huge hits and the best new music for Boxing Day afternoon
19:00 Boxing Day Anthems (non-stop music)
Non-stop huge hits and anthems for Boxing Day evening
21:00 TBC

Monday 27 December
07:00 Robyn Richford
Robyn wakes up the nation
11:00 Jordan North
Jordan plays huge hits and anthems
15:00 Dean McCullough
Dean plays huge hits and anthems
19:00 TBC

Tuesday 28 December
07:00 TBC
11:00 TBC

Wednesday 29 December
07:00 TBC
11:00 TBC

First of all I think it’d be unlikely that Jordan and Vick are split off. Jack bring on in the afternoon is believable but the second half of that show would probably be the Chart. I wonder if the Boxing Day schedule is in fact the Xmas day schedule. They usually have a takeover on that day? Arielle then Sarah followed by maybe Danny would be a good schedule for the rest of the day, with Scott on breakfast, if not Vick and Jordan? 

Dean being on weekdays would be weird considering that they usually have exclusively Christmas presenters, but even weirder would be to move Jordan, by himself, out of his usual slot and be replaced with Dean who could slot into the mid morning slot.

42 minutes ago, Ash101 said:

Surely this is fake because in previous years the new presenter Take Over has been for all shows between Boxing Day Breakfast & about 4/5pm on NYE?

It went into NYD last year (minus 6pm-1am on NYE), but yeah, usually starts on Boxing Day. No doubt we'll get anthems shows again. My favourite Christmas Eve programming in the past was when they did a pre recorded 'bangers special' with Scott & Chris some years back. A 10 hour takeover wouldn't be a bad idea... would be better than back to back Christmas hits. 

That schedule looks a bit suspect in parts.. Of course it maybe Scott's choice to be off on Christmas Eve (and that's not my business to speculate otherwise) but I can't see him not unveiling the Christmas No.1 for a second year running. There was good excuse on Christmas Day last year with him on Breakfast. We'll find out soon enough I guess.