Unofficial Mills

Radio 1’s Summer Breakout

radio1fan

52 minutes ago, radio1fan said:

Thought I’d start a thread for this, as there’s not one already and it looks it’ll be a really fun listen. 

I think it would be good to also take note of what Annie Mac and Nick Grimshaw last songs are. I think one thing I’d like to see if any of those who remember the first and last songs that were played on certain shows and the last songs played by certain presenters as would be good to get Huw Stephens, Zane Lowe, Phil Taggart and Alice Levine’s first and last songs or some of those songs played on certain moments of stations history.

Think this thread will be good to chatter about road trip stuff

I'm glad we're getting an outside broadcast. I very much enjoy 'event' radio which i think no other station tops Radio 1 on. The family feel with all the DJ's that comes across on air is especially a highlight which i enjoy. I assume they'll be popping up at various points during the day on Clara, Scott & Grimmy's shows. 

These summer road trips remind me a bit of the noughties on R1, they did a fair bit of this, especially with Moyles and his team... so it's very reminicent of that (for me at least).

10 hours ago, NathanS said:

I'm glad we're getting an outside broadcast. I very much enjoy 'event' radio which i think no other station tops Radio 1 on. The family feel with all the DJ's that comes across on air is especially a highlight which i enjoy. I assume they'll be popping up at various points during the day on Clara, Scott & Grimmy's shows. 

These summer road trips remind me a bit of the noughties on R1, they did a fair bit of this, especially with Moyles and his team... so it's very reminicent of that (for me at least).

All we need now is DLT dressed as a chicken ,,,

17 hours ago, NathanS said:

The event radio that most other stations tend to go with is large scale completions or bank holiday playlist specials as Kiss, Radio X, Smooth etc do. Radio 2 comes close second but yes informs of unique Entertianment outside broadcasting think Radio 1 finds USP in this I think it would be good if Radio 1 did these more often like some summer road trips, festival outside broadcasts more regularly and freshers. Feel could be done maybe a monthly or quarterly introducing or Future Artists live events and semi occasional Lifehacks and Newsbeat with outside broadcast specials which feel when BBC Three does return to TV would be good if they did a Newsbeat show on BBC Three, Radio 1 & 1 Xtra

2 hours ago, anothernerd said:

I’m looking forward to it. Great to way to build up Jordan and Vick as the future of the station.

Altough.. I do hope we get one last hide and seek with Greg and Grimmy. That was the best live radio I’ve ever listened to.

I don’t think there will be a hide and seek as probably the production team of radio 1 probably been focused on this and their outside broadcasting budget etc have been. But think I at least like it’s a different idea all together. Think into next year and coming months if things are going good in terms of lesser restrictions etc think the station may try to find more novel ideas to keep things fresh. Think cooped up with lockdowns etc and some listeners only having the radio through out working day etc may see more active engaging stuff that better connects the listener to the station like these things. But I do wonder if BBC Radio would be doing some special and grand stuff marking 100 years of the BBC

On 7/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, radio1fan said:

Thought I’d start a thread for this, as there’s not one already and it looks it’ll be a really fun listen. 

Dunno this idea seems like yes it’s a bit of a change to the format but feel it’s like a third sequel to a movie with exactly the same plot felt least with lolathon for a charity had good purpose and was really consitantly entertaining but this doesn’t seem the best they could’ve come up with summer break would be better the idea. That maybe they do some of the shows on the road bringing the features of the shows and presenting them in holiday locations where people can watch would have been better. Feel I know it’s the breakfast presenter it’s always James and seems very forced and scripted 

I’m a bit gutted with this evening’s announcement to be honest. I was hoping for a more natural introduction of  Vick & Jordan to the weekday team, but this feels much too scripted and set up. As others have said, this idea has been done before, and I can’t help but feel that after over a year of lock downs, I’m not going to find listening to Gregg locked in a small space very entertaining.  If they pull it off well, I could be proved wrong, but I would have preferred a true road trip with some cheerful vibes personally. 

2 hours ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

I’m a bit gutted with this evening’s announcement to be honest. I was hoping for a more natural introduction of  Vick & Jordan to the weekday team, but this feels much too scripted and set up. As others have said, this idea has been done before, and I can’t help but feel that after over a year of lock downs, I’m not going to find listening to Gregg locked in a small space very entertaining.  If they pull it off well, I could be proved wrong, but I would have preferred a true road trip with some cheerful vibes personally. 

I agree with this totally think if could’ve done something safe with the pandemic think would be better if did some stuff where they would’ve been taking a road trip and maybe joined by radio presenters of the station at hometowns bit of a tour guide got Chris stark to do some of his parody travel bits and maybe did a bit of a mayor of where where they were for old times sake. I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s critiquing think Jordan North and Vick Hope are great presenters maybe if had RMC getting involved in a small bit or Dean McCulliugh would’ve been better to try to bring the fresher voices of daytime radio 1 .

Just feels like a ridiculously contrived format. It's obvious that each deciphered clue won't be the exit password and the fact ther are only two guesses a show max just kills the pace of it. The production team have put together 5 days of content so there's no way Greg will 'guess' the password before Friday's Breakfast Show. Yawn.

1 hour ago, jordifens said:

Just feels like a ridiculously contrived format. It's obvious that each deciphered clue won't be the exit password and the fact ther are only two guesses a show max just kills the pace of it. The production team have put together 5 days of content so there's no way Greg will 'guess' the password before Friday's Breakfast Show. Yawn.

Agreed very forced ans scripted as was the trails. I do find it’s odd to travel around in a van assuming Greg’s trapped it’s unconvincing and think with slow pace people don’t stick I know twitter doesn’t necessarily reflect listenership but first event of these that hasn’t trended. TalkSports sports coverage and 6Music schedule changes have trended above. Think from a liscense fee value it lacks the cost to quality 

I was really apprehensive about this, as I wrote above, but I actually enjoyed listening yesterday and thought it was quite fun having Greg, Vick and Jordan on throughout the day. 

Today, however I’m back to my original opinion of this being way too planned and forced. Too much repetition I think, and as jordifens said, the password will only be ‘guessed’ when they have planned for it to be over. I would have been happy if he got out on the guess of Albert and they let him out to see the giraffes! 

They have been to some cool places, so it seems like this could have been pulled off as a road trip as originally billed, and maybe  had some Greg vs Vick & Jordan stuff for competition (as it seems to me they are trying to solidify Vick & Jordan as a double act in people’s minds). It could have been fun without all the scripting I think.

1 hour ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

I was really apprehensive about this, as I wrote above, but I actually enjoyed listening yesterday and thought it was quite fun having Greg, Vick and Jordan on throughout the day. 

Today, however I’m back to my original opinion of this being way too planned and forced. Too much repetition I think, and as jordifens said, the password will only be ‘guessed’ when they have planned for it to be over. I would have been happy if he got out on the guess of Albert and they let him out to see the giraffes! 

They have been to some cool places, so it seems like this could have been pulled off as a road trip as originally billed, and maybe  had some Greg vs Vick & Jordan stuff for competition (as it seems to me they are trying to solidify Vick & Jordan as a double act in people’s minds). It could have been fun without all the scripting I think.

Agree with this they should’ve made Vick & Jordan and Dean McCullough fronting the road trip as well not just centred around Greg something makes it seem he does like himself front of stage with stuff like this. It’s really convincing to make it seem he’s locked up in van that’s roaming around the country 

10 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

Agree with this they should’ve made Vick & Jordan and Dean McCullough fronting the road trip as well not just centred around Greg something makes it seem he does like himself front of stage with stuff like this.

I think this is a bit harsh on Greg. He wouldn’t have decided to make Himself “front of stage” with this event. It’ll be the breakfast production team and the wider Radio 1 producers. He is presenting the biggest show on the station, so it does make total sense to have these things involve him.

Getting Dean on board would’ve just confused things. He’s largely irrelevant until he starts properly & then eventually does more daytime cover. 

1 hour ago, Ash101 said:

I think this is a bit harsh on Greg. He wouldn’t have decided to make Himself “front of stage” with this event. It’ll be the breakfast production team and the wider Radio 1 producers. He is presenting the biggest show on the station, so it does make total sense to have these things involve him.

Getting Dean on board would’ve just confused things. He’s largely irrelevant until he starts properly & then eventually does more daytime cover. 

I think should’ve had something to introduce and bing on the new talent of the station and new sound of it

I liked the event overall as always, but one things bugs be. Did they really have to lock up Greg again? The original (fake) premise would've worked much better imho. Just make Greg (& Vick) solve the puzzles and the final password while on the road or something. Sounds more fun than Escape Room 3.