Unofficial Mills

Grimmy to leave Radio 1

Ash101

3 minutes ago, NathanS said:

Who knows. He's well connected in the showbiz world, and of all the R1 DJ's that have left.. he's the one likely to branch out elsewhere.

Like Annie, it does sound like it was his decision not to renew his contract. I can see why.. he's took his show as far as he could go and he's going out on a (fairly) high... he's done the top gig with brekkie. I will actually miss him. 14 years is good going. Many of the general listenership tend to disagree but he was the right choice at that time for breakfast. I do think he is a genuinely funny and engaging broadcaster. I wonder if Annie leaving and Sinead leaving newsbeat played a little part in considering moving on. They're both a big part of his show.

I think there was a bit of nudging from managerial side for this to happen 

2 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I think there was a bit of nudging from managerial side for this to happen 

I don’t agree. There are enough changes in September with the Clara/Annie/RMC situation without needing to change Drive too. I honestly believe Grimmy has reached this decision on his own.

Agree with the above, Annie & Sinead being a key part of Grimmy’s show probably helped him make a decision. 

16 minutes ago, NathanS said:

Who knows. He's well connected in the showbiz world, and of all the R1 DJ's that have left.. he's the one likely to branch out elsewhere.

Like Annie, it does sound like it was his decision not to renew his contract. I can see why.. he's took his show as far as he could go and he's going out on a (fairly) high... he's done the top gig with brekkie. I will actually miss him. 14 years is good going. Many of the general listenership tend to disagree but he was the right choice at that time for breakfast. I do think he is a genuinely funny and engaging broadcaster. I wonder if Annie leaving and Sinead leaving newsbeat played a little part in considering moving on. They're both a big part of his show.

Looking back, as much as I personally didn’t warm to Grimmy’s breakfast show   when he took over from Moyles, as I was skeptical of change, it was the best possible move they could have made, and the resulting show suited its era of celebrity culture really well.

I’m actually feeling quite emotional tonight as it’s just sunk in that Radio 1 won’t be the same station it was when I was growing up, even though I’m only 18, and clearly still don’t like change ?

Saying that, Radio 1 has to evolve and I think these schedule changes will ultimately be seen as the start of a new era of the station in years to come

4 minutes ago, Ash101 said:

Jordan getting Drive is definitely the right move. I am not quite sold on partnering him up with Vick though. Nothing against her but Jordan does great radio on his own.

Think it’s over all best to go with a duo but do find the trio for mid morning seems bit too much for mid morning selection but I do find it does work better sometimes to have some one to converse with and have a team approach rather him pairing up with somebody 

Finally. I was never a fan of his. But can’t deny his importance to the station. His work with Annie was decent. And his breakfast stint.. was ok. Just shame he followed Moyles’s stint.

Vick and Jordan on drive. Perhaps noticing heart and hits strategy of male female pairing.

Nick will slot nicely into Heart. Or even the Hits Network if they want to give Fluer East a new co-host again.

Sad to see Grimmy go as he has been on Radio 1 ever since I started listening. 

I think Vick & Jordan will be a great combo though. I do believe, from September, R1 will have one of the best schedules it has ever had. Solid shows across the board. Looking forward to hearing it. 

23 minutes ago, BBCR1_James said:

Sad to see Grimmy go as he has been on Radio 1 ever since I started listening. 

I think Vick & Jordan will be a great combo though. I do believe, from September, R1 will have one of the best schedules it has ever had. Solid shows across the board. Looking forward to hearing it. 

Think it largely represents experience.

13 hours ago, radio1fan said:

I hope we get one final Annie and Grimmy co-host, as it would be the best way to end

Presumably it'll be more of a love-in at the end seeing as they chose to leave, less awkward than when you're told to leave

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Presumably it'll be more of a love-in at the end seeing as they chose to leave, less awkward than when you're told to leave

I do feel like they were maybe nudged out of the door in the end but a bit of choosing 

2 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Wow, you've got DECADES of turbulence ahead of you  ?

Yes does make me feel more older as started listening to radio 1 when Phil & Alice were doing evenings Edith Bowman was on Aled doing Surgery Zane Lowe, Huw Stephens on weekend afternoons. Fearne Cotton with Sara Cox remember doing maternity leave.

I think only announcements we could here about Radio 1 really incoming months possibly around newsbeat some new people to the team and new line up for the Residency. With BBC Three returning as a Live Terrestrial channel next year wonder if they have some Newsbeat presenters doing something like the 60 second updates

1 hour ago, AndyK77 said:

Jordan will need to get this out of the way before he starts Drive.  His profile has really exploded

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/15259341/coronation-street-beverley-callard-jordan-north-travel-show/

I can imagine they planned a bit around this seems both Vick and Jordan will end up doing TF bits quite a bit I think it’s starting to go back to the era where Radio personalities become TV personalities and do mix of the two

1 hour ago, BBCAaron said:

I can imagine they planned a bit around this seems both Vick and Jordan will end up doing TF bits quite a bit I think it’s starting to go back to the era where Radio personalities become TV personalities and do mix of the two

Jordan certainly has become a regular as a guest on TV since I’m A Celeb. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets his own show soon though I guess this thing with Bev is his own show.

It’s nice to see a presenter that worked so hard and is almost universally liked getting this success.  

This new line-up is incredibly strong, hard to find a single weak link weekdays or weekends.

41 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Jordan certainly has become a regular as a guest on TV since I’m A Celeb. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets his own show soon though I guess this thing with Bev is his own show.

It’s nice to see a presenter that worked so hard and is almost universally liked getting this success.  

This new line-up is incredibly strong, hard to find a single weak link weekdays or weekends.

Yes can see him doing thw odd bit of presenting potentially new television entertainment formats even with Vick. It will be interesting to know what type of content BBC Three will produce when it returns to air and ItV 2 as they seem to be also investing in stuff like that could see him popping up on different panelist shows and different celebrities special stuff. R Kemp, Hope, North, Amfo seem to be regulars on television stuff see that continue he could like Nick end up appearing in A League of their own 

On 7/1/2021 at 5:48 PM, radio1fan said:

Greg was hinting at "one final thing with Grimmy" this morning, so I'm definitely hoping hide and seek is on the cards

He downplayed it just after saying get him to co host the show or something. Would love hide and seek though 

1 hour ago, James8787 said:

He downplayed it just after saying get him to co host the show or something. Would love hide and seek though 

With covid rules up in the air don’t think they’d get it all signed off. There then will likely to be since new shows starting and quite a few and some people joined and left the station don’t think they’ll have the staff to do it. Unless it would be sort of on air sort of end of an era this was your time at radio 1 with some of the radio 1 presenters and friends of grimmies show coming on

• 3 weeks later...