Unofficial Mills

Grimmy to leave Radio 1

Ash101

Just now, radio1fan said:

If Grimmy’s last drive show is 12th August and Vick and Jordan’s first is 6th September, then I’m going to assume we will have a few weeks with the so-called “B-Team” on weekday daytime in the gap? 

Probably Arrielle, Katie Thistleton, Jess I, Matt & Mollie, few others may do bits.

see it will be mid morn,drive,evening flagship music, weekend mid morn, Sunday drive, will need cover could see some of the Christmas club of presenters doing slots like early for a week etc.

2 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

6th September is quite late wouldn’t they start the week before after the bank holiday?

Unless starting on when the back to school weeks like when Jack Saunders, Nick Grimshaw started evening drive in September 2018 was on the 3rd

13 minutes ago, Jono said:

I imagine they'd happily broadcast outside London too...

Was just enjoying Nick on afternoons, but excellent news for Vick and Jordan. I wonder if Annie and Nick will pair up again in the future now. Bit gutted for Katie losing another co-presenter.

Think may freshen things up as think it will help having a duo doing that slot tho did feel that Vick Hope would’ve made good cover for Clara Amfo

3 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Think may freshen things up as think it will help having a duo doing that slot tho did feel that Vick Hope would’ve made good cover for Clara Amfo

Just noticed they updated on the new presenter of the Future Soul show bringing neo soul and other genres under that umbrella Victoria Jane much looking forward to that one as enjoyed Jamz Supernova, DJ complexions recent series for Radio 1 Xtra

Just now, abertom said:

Katie’s staying with Vick

Ah so Vick will be Sunday-Thursday Monday-Thursday Jordan, Sunday Katie. Guess Katie may end up doing more cover the way things going can imagine Edmonson & Roberts departure could be by end of the year. As Griffin, Stephens and Taggart was shifted out and seems like MistaJam didn’t have the most healthy of exits and didn’t end so may rumour mill. Which possibly so as within a day of his last show Capital Dance or maybe a week capital dance was launched 

4 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

My one problem with all of this - Katie has been a bit ‘forgotten’ with all of this. Realistically, she did deserve that morning a lot having been on the waiting list for a bigger slot for about four years. 

Agreed for since 2016,17 or 18 took over from Gemma Cairney to present the surgery Wed 21:00-22:00 then moved into Cel Spellman’s slot presenting with him and do feel it’s a missed opportunity did find it was bit odd having a trio in the mid morning slot. She could end up personally have felt excluded in this.

Who do you think will be the covers from September? Considering a lot of the usual covers are getting promotions, this is what I think:

Arielle - Sam & Danni or Rakeem

Greg - Matt and Mollie

RMC - Won’t need a cover because they’re a trio

Scott and Chris - Katie or Dean

Jordan and Vick - Jack or Arielle

Clara - Jess

Jack - Jess/Nels Hlyton

9 minutes ago, Jono said:

Personally I'd like them to announce before September that we're going back to a Monday to Friday schedule with the exception of the chart show. Doesn't seem likely though.

You can see the path being laid for Jordan eventually taking over the chart on Fridays.

While I’m sad to see Grimmy go, it felt like it was around the corner for a while now, especially recently with Annie and Sinead leaving, so I’m not too surprised.

Really pleased they didn’t do the obvious thing of just moving Jordan over but have instead decided to add Vick into the mix! Both of them work best when they have someone to bounce off so makes the most sense to put them together.

Not too sure how I feel about Dean yet, feels like a very quick promotion! Think I need to hear more before I form a proper opinion, but it is a bit of a shame Katie hasn’t had some sort of promotion here

13 minutes ago, Jono said:

Personally I'd like them to announce before September that we're going back to a Monday to Friday schedule with the exception of the chart show. Doesn't seem likely though.

I’ve found that some stations managed to make it work Times Radio, Radio 5 Live tho Times Now has Chorley doing 5 days instead of his original four with Gloria De Piero moved over to do GB News I felt it would’ve been better if to move to doing 5 days a week with mid morning did feel it was odd to give Dean three prime daytime slots weekend and Fridays that being and without Thistleton do like seeing new talent having a chance but do find now with Greg doing 5 days and there’s not much purpose of the change fine if did a New Music Friday Best New Pop in mid day but if had something that’s unique that fits the idea of Friday daytime fine to keep the four day thing. If the country was to move to a standard four day working week then I think fine to do it with this staying in place 

Dean seems to me to be a proper Radio 1 nerd, so I’m looking forward to him getting a regularly scheduled show.

I’m hoping for a full revamp of the generic Radio 1 imaging in September. 
I’d prefer if Greg’s imaging was kept, as I really like it, but I could also see it being updated. 
I’d also imagine Vick and Jordan will get some custom imaging as well. 

5 minutes ago, radio1fan said:

Dean seems to me to be a proper Radio 1 nerd, so I’m looking forward to him getting a regularly scheduled show.

I’m hoping for a full revamp of the generic Radio 1 imaging in September. 
I’d prefer if Greg’s imaging was kept, as I really like it, but I could also see it being updated. 
I’d also imagine Vick and Jordan will get some custom imaging as well. 

I mean imaging interms of tag lines sort of direction, feel of the station could see Greg in September may try new features so probably will Scott new style and format I’d expect like since Chris Evans and Simon Mayo left Radio 2 if feels different more mainstream more youthful. Found since Lauren Laverne, Mary Anne Hobbs, Jamz Supernova, The Blessed Madonna, Amy Lame 6 Music has had a different vibe  yes older male playing things but more fresh keeping left feild not so much indie rock.

I feel with the general ‘imaging of the brand’ has started to happen with the new controller of Pop and BBC Sounds creations 

1 hour ago, R1Fan1 said:

Who do you think will be the covers from September? Considering a lot of the usual covers are getting promotions, this is what I think:

Arielle - Sam & Danni or Rakeem

Greg - Matt and Mollie

RMC - Won’t need a cover because they’re a trio

Scott and Chris - Katie or Dean

Jordan and Vick - Jack or Arielle

Clara - Jess

Jack - Jess/Nels Hlyton

The Vick/Jordan pairing probably allows there to be less need for cover, as one can do the show when the other isn't on. Or at least bring in someone else to pair occasionally, as has happened with Matt & Mollie before. As Vick is still paired with Katie on Sundays, it wouldn't surprise me if she fills in with her on occasion.

7 minutes ago, harrysmyth said:

It's such an end of an era having Nick and Annie leave. Some of my favourite R1 memories are stories with those two, or at Glastonbury. 

I wonder if he is going to change career - I believe wasn't it interior design or set painting which he was interested in? 

I hope we get one final Annie and Grimmy co-host, as it would be the best way to end

48 minutes ago, NathanS said:

The Vick/Jordan pairing probably allows there to be less need for cover, as one can do the show when the other isn't on. Or at least bring in someone else to pair occasionally, as has happened with Matt & Mollie before. As Vick is still paired with Katie on Sundays, it wouldn't surprise me if she fills in with her on occasion.

Think Matt & Mollie may cover Scott & Chris. Jess I will continue covering Jack and Victoria and Sian Cover Clara. Think it will be bit of who ever the new presenter is for early 

there may be moments when mid morning cover is needed would like to see Katie Thistleton covering some of the general daytime shows but feel this rate Matt Edmonson & Adele Roberts won’t be long from leaving I do think Matt Edmonson could easily end up covering Radio 2 sometime ever think if his Radio 1 show didn’t clash with Rylan’s shows on would be great cover for him.

8 minutes ago, harrysmyth said:

It's such an end of an era having Nick and Annie leave. Some of my favourite R1 memories are stories with those two, or at Glastonbury. 

I wonder if he is going to change career - I believe wasn't it interior design or set painting which he was interested in? 

Who knows. He's well connected in the showbiz world, and of all the R1 DJ's that have left.. he's the one likely to branch out elsewhere.

Like Annie, it does sound like it was his decision not to renew his contract. I can see why.. he's took his show as far as he could go and he's going out on a (fairly) high... he's done the top gig with brekkie. I will actually miss him. 14 years is good going. Many of the general listenership tend to disagree but he was the right choice at that time for breakfast. I do think he is a genuinely funny and engaging broadcaster. I wonder if Annie leaving and Sinead leaving newsbeat played a little part in considering moving on. They're both a big part of his show.

2 minutes ago, radio1fan said:

I hope we get one final Annie and Grimmy co-host, as it would be the best way to end

I do think if the lockdown rules allow for quite a few people to able in the same facility can imagine there would be a sort of party like atmosphere on air to their departure with some favourites who worked on station may pop up would like them to do a best of highlights show