Unofficial Mills

If Greg left the breakfast show tomorrow, who would take over?

R1Fan1

I don’t totally understand where you’re coming from though. 

3 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

choices tend to be mad3 from a small but pre existing group of people already working within the bbc or have links and ties to the organisation

This is totally normal for any radio station? Of course cover presenters, or the next person in a big slow is going to already be on the station. Heart, Capital etc all do the same. Dev covers weekday shows on Heart because he works for them. They don’t bring in someone random for 1 week. 

I don’t see Radio 1 ever parachuting in someone brand new for Breakfast or Drive. It’ll always be someone known to the audience. The best example of this is probably RMC settling on Evenings before being moved to mornings. 

3 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

I feel like it’s case that when slots are often need to be filled there’s the thing that choices tend to be mad3 from a small but pre existing group of people already working within the bbc or have links and ties to the organisation feel like diversity needs to attract diversity that allows for presenters working in the industry a chance to be considered for shows on the station and to say let’s try to give more slots ro talent that yes from places from Asian Network but also who haven’t had been previously on a bite national show on one of the rivals or radio 1s rivals.

But if they constantly poach people in from other stations instead of using familiar faces, the BBC will be seen by others as splashing the cash unnecessarily.

46 minutes ago, Ash101 said:

This is totally normal for any radio station? Of course cover presenters, or the next person in a big slow is going to already be on the station. Heart, Capital etc all do the same. Dev covers weekday shows on Heart because he works for them. They don’t bring in someone random for 1 week. 

I don’t see Radio 1 ever parachuting in someone brand new for Breakfast or Drive. It’ll always be someone known to the audience. The best example of this is probably RMC settling on Evenings before being moved to mornings. 

Issue is the BBC aren’t commercial and publicly state owned and licensed funded. Feel that the next few years BBC are going to have to justify their funding model as the ‘DefundTheBBC’ movement grows  and am unsure whether Generation Z would support or fund the BBC as it is think not attracting new audiences and diversify could harm Radio 1 in the long run it may be case of use if or lose it. I’m not sure that Generation Z wouldn’t be as supportive of the broadcaster than millennial generation. 

Feel Ra£io 1 trying to seem more like it’s commercial counter parts with Radio 1 and needs to willing to actually be bit more daring in moves of how it attracts a youth audience.

55 minutes ago, Ash101 said:

Surely it’s time to shake things up and do something a bit different and exciting like allowing regional or local presenters cover throughout the schedule or other talent to break news talent freshen things up and not just relying on the same people who have own shows on the station. It would allow for fries thinking, innovation and develop new personalities and content on the station 

27 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Surely it’s time to shake things up and do something a bit different and exciting like allowing regional or local presenters cover throughout the schedule or other talent to break news talent freshen things up and not just relying on the same people who have own shows on the station. It would allow for fries thinking, innovation and develop new personalities and content on the station 

You’re living in a dream world though. Radio 1 has never worked like this & never will. It’s a professional national station and they use a small pool of known faces to cover shows (usually weekend presenters covering weekdays).

Your point is a bit redundant as they are allowing more presenters than ever on the station. See the Xmas takeovers & Friday early breakfast. Dean covering for Matt is great example of how they’re thinking forward now....

1 minute ago, Ash101 said:

You’re living in a dream world though. Radio 1 has never worked like this & never will. It’s a professional national station and they use a small pool of known faces to cover shows (usually weekend presenters covering weekdays).

Your point is a bit redundant as they are allowing more presenters than ever on the station. See the Xmas takeovers & Friday early breakfast. Dean covering for Matt is great example of how they’re thinking forward now....

I just think it needs to be sped up surely this forum is to discuss different ideas and theories about radio. It’s nothing wrong to ask this questions or make suggestions. Surely it’s good to think more radical surely for a public sector broadcaster rather than a private one should have the obligation that Ida opportunities of work on and off air are accessible to all. Picking from small pool is where Radio 1 in the long term may run into some issues feel when there is daytime show from Salford it may not be what it’s done now. Like it or not rsdio 11 are going to need to make changes and reforms in few years if the broadcaster is going to justify its scale snd existande.

You may not see it now but with salary of pay packages being publicised it’s case that are being payed too much and commercial witless patch. Especially with new rules of what the broadcaster expects of its staff when using social media. 

1 hour ago, michaelb said:

But if they constantly poach people in from other stations instead of using familiar faces, the BBC will be seen by others as splashing the cash unnecessarily.

Surely it’s also if they get cover from regional stations of the bbc wouldn’t be as bad as a start. I think the cuts and spending criticism tends to be on low quality productions or middle managements. Think there’s more over spending questions around the finding Greg and Nick events and with the top of the shard stuff. Think the more pay questions from people have been around the news spin of streams 

1 hour ago, BBCAaron said:

You may not see it now but with salary of pay packages being publicised it’s case that are being payed too much and commercial witless patch. Especially with new rules of what the broadcaster expects of its staff when using social media. 

I expect Greg & Scott could easily command a bigger salary from a Global or Bauer station. They’re probably paid quite modestly vs what Roman Kemp or Amanda Holden are earning. Same goes for TV stars. Ant & Dec, Phil & Holly earn a lot more from ITV than any BBC Presenter would. This is why the Beeb has been losing talent over the last few years!

1 minute ago, Ash101 said:

I expect Greg & Scott could easily command a bigger salary from a Global or Bauer station. They’re probably paid quite modestly vs what Roman Kemp or Amanda Holden are earning. Same goes for TV stars. Ant & Dec, Phil & Holly earn a lot more from ITV than any BBC Presenter would. This is why the Beeb has been losing talent over the last few years!

Yes, part of reason why the broadcaster to sustain itself really invest in new talent and distinct voices beyond the current top stars of bbc and commercial presenting talent. Unsure about Bauer as of yet with more appealing offer but Global could do it or Apple Music. Think BBC need to accept that and say they’re a public state broadcaster and seperate itself from a private independent company on this matter. Maybe shrinking the sizes of operations and stars and commercial programming maybe good thing

It also has to be said that Radio 1 is far better than Radio 2 which generally uses a string of TV stars to cover for the regular presenters.

Radio 1 really feels like quite a diverse station that steadily gets more diverse so I don't see a problem as it is on a steady natural evolution.  If you look at the history of the station, it's a massively different place today.   You can't achieve these things by revolution because the other side of public service broadcasting is producing something people actually want to listen to.  If you want to listen to people learning their trade listen to Community or Student radio.  (Both of which do a great job BTW so not knocking them but it's not the style needed for national radio).  The current Radio 1 approach of gently easing new talent in is the perfect approach and pretty groundbreaking.

One other point to remember (and anybody who has ever been around a radio station knows this) - not enough females want to do radio compared to men.  When I was running a station I struggled to get more female presenters.  Now that's a good reason for encouraging women into radio and running campaigns like highlighting people like Clara, Annie, Katie, Vick from Radio 1 and Zoe, Sara, Jo, Vanessa, Claudia etc from Radio 2.  But it doesn't get away from the fact that right now there is a much smaller pool of talent to give opportunity to.  If you look at Capital, Kiss etc you'll find even fewer females than on Radio 1.  It's not because a modern station doesn't want female voices, there simply isn't the talent to give an opportunity to.

8 hours ago, Ash101 said:

Do they though? The only two I can name are Mistajam and Dev, who left to go to Capital and Heart. Mistajam only presented once a week, and his role was so small that it managed to be filled without having an entirely new presenter. Dev was sacked, or ‘didn’t have his contract renewed’, and now he only presents once a week on Heart, so not really poaching as such. 

radio 1 appears to be the one poaching, in the last couple of years you had Rickie, Melvin and Charlie, coming in September you have Sarah Story.

2 hours ago, R1Fan1 said:

Do they though? The only two I can name are Mistajam and Dev, who left to go to Capital and Heart. Mistajam only presented once a week, and his role was so small that it managed to be filled without having an entirely new presenter. Dev was sacked, or ‘didn’t have his contract renewed’, and now he only presents once a week on Heart, so not really poaching as such. 

radio 1 appears to be the one poaching, in the last couple of years you had Rickie, Melvin and Charlie, coming in September you have Sarah Story.

I do feel hiring high profile presenters who already broadcast on a commercial outlet is rather a cop out with RMC already had a show on Kiss Breakfast, Jack Saunders Radio X etc. It’s like Radio 2 has come under concern of hiring so many celebrity and televison presenters to do cover and other shows like Joe Lycett, Michell Visage, Alan Carr, Matt Lucas etc. Think it’s thing just trying to hire from that already point industry privledge of having name well known and going for that small pool for talent 

10 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

It also has to be said that Radio 1 is far better than Radio 2 which generally uses a string of TV stars to cover for the regular presenters.

Radio 1 really feels like quite a diverse station that steadily gets more diverse so I don't see a problem as it is on a steady natural evolution.  If you look at the history of the station, it's a massively different place today.   You can't achieve these things by revolution because the other side of public service broadcasting is producing something people actually want to listen to.  If you want to listen to people learning their trade listen to Community or Student radio.  (Both of which do a great job BTW so not knocking them but it's not the style needed for national radio).  The current Radio 1 approach of gently easing new talent in is the perfect approach and pretty groundbreaking.

One other point to remember (and anybody who has ever been around a radio station knows this) - not enough females want to do radio compared to men.  When I was running a station I struggled to get more female presenters.  Now that's a good reason for encouraging women into radio and running campaigns like highlighting people like Clara, Annie, Katie, Vick from Radio 1 and Zoe, Sara, Jo, Vanessa, Claudia etc from Radio 2.  But it doesn't get away from the fact that right now there is a much smaller pool of talent to give opportunity to.  If you look at Capital, Kiss etc you'll find even fewer females than on Radio 1.  It's not because a modern station doesn't want female voices, there simply isn't the talent to give an opportunity to.

I don’t buy there’s not talent to give opportunities to there are plenty talent that are or have grown and growing. If don’t open things up and try to broaden the means of getting voices who want to be in radi9 and tirelessly are you’ll find talent. Questions that must be answered why is it the case you feel there’s isn’t talent to give opportunity to is it a small network and that hasnt engaged with a broader network of the industry. 

I still Bbc Radio still got to get diversity band broader at all levels on and off air 

11 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

Think the station should be looking to more radically revolutionise it’s sound ever so much to see it with the long term vision in keeping of the BBC’s movement of different areas of broadcasters to be based in different regions and be less London centric think the station should start ever so much levelling or up and make  the opportunities for new talent the same as established talent  

26 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Think the station should be looking to more radically revolutionise it’s sound ever so much to see it with the long term vision in keeping of the BBC’s movement of different areas of broadcasters to be based in different regions and be less London centric think the station should start ever so much levelling or up and make  the opportunities for new talent the same as established talent  

Why would you revolutionise something which is continually winning awards & keeping listeners? Why do you see the need to always say completely revolutionise? What do you see as the issue?

They are doing loads to bring on talent of all sorts, look at the Christmas cover schedules of the last two years which has offered those with some radio knowledge & experience through their own choosing, I.e. community & student radio... which everyone can get involved in a chance. They’ve given opportunities to these & subsequently have offered shifts for cover and Friday early breakfast. In regards to who gets chosen to move on from that and do more work are those with the talent & ones they see having a future at the station.

Also look at the huge range of careers talks they did including the world of radio they have just done for the big weekend build up & in previous years have had the big weekend academies. That’s getting people interested & bringing the younger generations over to the world of radio as well. So do you seriously think they need to do even more?

4 minutes ago, 1_tw said:

Why would you revolutionise something which is continually winning awards & keeping listeners? Why do you see the need to always say completely revolutionise? What do you see as the issue?

They are doing loads to bring on talent of all sorts, look at the Christmas cover schedules of the last two years which has offered those with some radio knowledge & experience through their own choosing, I.e. community & student radio... which everyone can get involved in a chance. They’ve given opportunities to these & subsequently have offered shifts for cover and Friday early breakfast. In regards to who gets chosen to move on from that and do more work are those with the talent & ones they see having a future at the station.

Also look at the huge range of careers talks they did including the world of radio they have just done for the big weekend build up & in previous years have had the big weekend academies. That’s getting people interested & bringing the younger generations over to the world of radio as well. So do you seriously think they need to do even more?

Yes they can do more, it’s the case that the broadcaster shouldn’t become to complacent that they doing enough when questions are are the next generation being given the  equal opportunity and the ability to shape what is their station. I’m unsure whether if radio 1 is reaching waves of young audience. Keeping listeners is not everything if aren’t in main bulk of schedule providing more diverse content that can bring new audiences in. When it’s sounding more of commercial counterparts it’s unsure how the station is setting out it’s long term future. These events for industry are good there should be more regular and more opportunities in schedule to host content from up and coming talent whether radio, podcast, arts Music comedy, radio documentaries etc. 

Radio 1 being a youth station should see it’s future as more of investing itself as the community station of the young audience bringing verity of voices on and off air more regularly. So the scheduling isn’t too rigid.

13 minutes ago, 1_tw said:

Also see Christmas being one stop and then back off the station again, it should be the case they are able to get involved in station podcasts and be regular personalities that pop up on station whether in presenting introducing shows, podcasts and reporting and bits for entertainment shows cross station etc

1 hour ago, BBCAaron said:

I do feel hiring high profile presenters who already broadcast on a commercial outlet is rather a cop out with RMC already had a show on Kiss Breakfast, Jack Saunders Radio X etc. It’s like Radio 2 has come under concern of hiring so many celebrity and televison presenters to do cover and other shows like Joe Lycett, Michell Visage, Alan Carr, Matt Lucas etc. Think it’s thing just trying to hire from that already point industry privledge of having name well known and going for that small pool for talent 

It's not as if every presenter comes that way. You've also got Arielle, Dean, Sian, Gemma and the like who have come through from working on the station doing cover slots and going into permanent ones. There wasn't really anyone else who could have done what RMC have done, same with Sarah Story, Vick Hope as well now I think about it.

36 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Yes they can do more, it’s the case that the broadcaster shouldn’t become to complacent that they doing enough when questions are are the next generation being given the  equal opportunity and the ability to shape what is their station. I’m unsure whether if radio 1 is reaching waves of young audience. Keeping listeners is not everything if aren’t in main bulk of schedule providing more diverse content that can bring new audiences in. When it’s sounding more of commercial counterparts it’s unsure how the station is setting out it’s long term future. These events for industry are good there should be more regular and more opportunities in schedule to host content from up and coming talent whether radio, podcast, arts Music comedy, radio documentaries etc. 

Radio 1 being a youth station should see it’s future as more of investing itself as the community station of the young audience bringing verity of voices on and off air more regularly. So the scheduling isn’t too rigid.

At the end of the day the whole radio scene is changing & more people listen to what they want to on demand. The additional content which is created is obviously commissioned to get people listening using known presenters & personalities. I’m unsure as to how you would get people to listen to podcasts from unknown presenters even with promotion.

People want to be able to tune in and know who is on and when, not having people changing all the time as you put it. Look at the uproar of extending the weekend which in essence created more presenting opportunities for upcoming presenters. That didn’t go down massively well.

For all the negatives you have about radio 1 (which is a lot) what are your positives???

46 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Also see Christmas being one stop and then back off the station again, it should be the case they are able to get involved in station podcasts and be regular personalities that pop up on station whether in presenting introducing shows, podcasts and reporting and bits for entertainment shows cross station etc

But it’s not one stop, if they see the talent there you’re given other opportunities, i.e. Friday early breakfast & presenting opportunities. They’ve also recently changed up the schedule to a degree moving out long serving DJ’s in the form of Huw Stephens, Phil Taggart etc and bought in new voices, yes most of them have prior BBC local radio experience but that is also a way the radio 1 has of scouting new talent, look at Greg James & radio Norfolk. 

43 minutes ago, 1_tw said:

But it’s not one stop, if they see the talent there you’re given other opportunities, i.e. Friday early breakfast & presenting opportunities. They’ve also recently changed up the schedule to a degree moving out long serving DJ’s in the form of Huw Stephens, Phil Taggart etc and bought in new voices, yes most of them have prior BBC local radio experience but that is also a way the radio 1 has of scouting new talent, look at Greg James & radio Norfolk. 

Greg James move was well over a decade ago nearing 15 years so don’t see point stacks up thing is think it’s case that presenters on daytime and some of the evening presenters have been on the station and in the slots for a almost to over a decade and feel for a youth station should be switching it up bit more to actually feel more like a youth community public service broadcaster. The biggest decisions about radio 1 doesn’t necessarily come from creating and doing it for larger audience or commercial like it’s to actually develop to a public service that is justifiable funding as it is now as the future of the BBC is more political and Radio 1 will likely end up in that conversation. 

I like the station, I do, better than commercial sector at Championing new music talent and compare it with Capital or Kiss does more to have news and documentary content as well as conversations around topics that matter to young people as well as having their listeneners interacting. But feel the station unchanged not as much from when I started listening to it hasn’t been consistent in means of innovation and where it focuses on reaching new audiences leaving it become more complacent and seem unstrategic in having a cohesive youth service of content that informs, educates and entertain. Has tried but hasn’t made the most of what it can do to reach new audiences. 

As dropped the Comedy podcasts it developed championing new talent comedic talent, Started doing Newsbeat docs but has dwindled had a newsbeat app was phrased out had the Asian Network show with Candy Man and DJ Limelight dropped. 

Feel that BBCs approach to its youth audience is messy but radically rethinking it may help it greatly in the long run and hasn’t got the young talent on and off air to shape its decision and path forward as have seen that with BBC Three.

Feel what’s the issue is with where BBCs Youth strategy it’s not really understanding what young people want from their broadcaster. I do feel some people will be like why aren’t there people from different regions or backgrounds on BBCs output of youth content that don’t sound like them.

7 hours ago, R1Fan1 said:

I was thinking the likes of Chris Evans & Graham Norton who have been tempted to Virgin. Plus Eddie Mair who went from Radio 4 to LBC.

1 hour ago, Ash101 said:

I was thinking the likes of Chris Evans & Graham Norton who have been tempted to Virgin. Plus Eddie Mair who went from Radio 4 to LBC.

Equally a fair point and Mayo over to Scala/GHRafio Zane and Dotty to Apple Music and several including Asmah Mir, Luke Jones, Manveen Rana to Times Radio and works with televison broadcast McCoy and Andrew Neil to GB News do think that the broadcaster should make peace with people moving to commercial and see it as a natural thing with having an open market for it and is healthy like seeing that Andrew Marr could end up departing the organisation. Think the broadcaster is at a point yet again it has to redefine its purpose it’s values and direction and that’s likely through shaking up its operations shrinking some areas and hiring some new. That is if it’s wanting to move with times to sustain itself

Feel some have right saying radio 1 seems to have a populist tone and is acclaimed and listen to but feel now the longer term it could suffer as the wider machine that it’s a cog of faces some challenges and it’s got to do something to not be complacent that things move forward and not changing at right time  station unable to sustain itself with changing landscape 

5 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

Greg James move was well over a decade ago nearing 15 years so don’t see point stacks up thing is think it’s case that presenters on daytime and some of the evening presenters have been on the station and in the slots for a almost to over a decade and feel for a youth station should be switching it up bit more to actually feel more like a youth community public service broadcaster. The biggest decisions about radio 1 doesn’t necessarily come from creating and doing it for larger audience or commercial like it’s to actually develop to a public service that is justifiable funding as it is now as the future of the BBC is more political and Radio 1 will likely end up in that conversation. 

I like the station, I do, better than commercial sector at Championing new music talent and compare it with Capital or Kiss does more to have news and documentary content as well as conversations around topics that matter to young people as well as having their listeneners interacting. But feel the station unchanged not as much from when I started listening to it hasn’t been consistent in means of innovation and where it focuses on reaching new audiences leaving it become more complacent and seem unstrategic in having a cohesive youth service of content that informs, educates and entertain. Has tried but hasn’t made the most of what it can do to reach new audiences. 

As dropped the Comedy podcasts it developed championing new talent comedic talent, Started doing Newsbeat docs but has dwindled had a newsbeat app was phrased out had the Asian Network show with Candy Man and DJ Limelight dropped. 

Feel that BBCs approach to its youth audience is messy but radically rethinking it may help it greatly in the long run and hasn’t got the young talent on and off air to shape its decision and path forward as have seen that with BBC Three.

Feel what’s the issue is with where BBCs Youth strategy it’s not really understanding what young people want from their broadcaster. I do feel some people will be like why aren’t there people from different regions or backgrounds on BBCs output of youth content that don’t sound like them.

Since then you’ve had Abbie McCarthy come through from local radio who clearly didn’t make the cut 100% & also trialed others from local radio in some of the Christmas slots. Ditto Jess Iszatt more recently, along with Gemma Bradley & Sian. Alongside this they have previously bought presenters across from 1xtra to do cover work & across to the station. So it’s hardly a closed door thing is it.

From September in the weekdays excluding the main presenters (Greg, Scott & Grimmy) you’ve got Arielle whose only been with the station 2~years, RM&C who have only been there about 2~years, Clara whose been there 6 years, Jack whose been there 3? Years & Sian who was new to the station this year.

There’s clearly space for this new talent in the form of Sian, Gemma, Jess, Jeremiah & Jaguar, who I’m sure will be given every opportunity to work their way up, it’s a good balance of new people and the talented presenters who bring people in and retain listeners ala Greg, Scott, Grimmy, Jordan & Matt. Listeners like to know who they are going to listen to when they tune in, they don’t want a revolving door as you put it of talent coming in and out as you put it, they want someone they can relate to.

It fully justifies its funding as it is, with it they are giving them more funding to create focussed streams like Dance & Relax. The podcasts & the streams are the true one where they can find out how listener numbers do, if something doesn’t cut it and doesn’t deserve it’s funding it’s gone. 

But the youth requirements are clearly understood.. they are big players on YouTube and TikTok which are where some people go for their entertainment. But what is also recognised is that the station caters for other listeners than “youth” it caters to a wide range of people, if it was just youth how would they justify an early breakfast show when the majority of that age bracket are still asleep?