Unofficial Mills

Annie Mac to leave Radio 1

Jono

6 hours ago, Bluestraw said:

The comments you refer to were made way before he was axed... He was extremely popular amongst the youth demographic, so not sure the values aspect came into it. Grimmy was indeed a major change in direction but he was also very celeb-obsessed, which itself isn't exactly super inclusive.

But I guess this is just part of the industry - different presenters will have different fan-bases and we can't all like the same! I'm not enough of a fan to follow him to Radio X as the music there isn't for me, but I do think he was exceptional during his R1 time and I didn't like the direction of the show with Grimmy. I realise many (like you) will disagree though, fair enough!

I think Moyles was right for the times when he came on in 2004, but personally I think he went on too long and the show lost its shine and it’s relevance by the end; in my ideal world he’d have been replaced with Mills around 2009, and then Greg brought up by 2015, with a new DJ ready to take over sometime this or next year.

Hi I’m back as had to log in again my thoughts on Annie Mac I think September   she will join capital dance with a show before mistajam also good promotion for rmc makes more sense to have 3 people on in the day rather than the evenings plus Clara is better in the evenings aswell 

1 minute ago, Darren m said:

Hi I’m back as had to log in again my thoughts on Annie Mac I think September   she will join capital dance with a show before mistajam also good promotion for rmc makes more sense to have 3 people on in the day rather than the evenings plus Clara is better in the evenings aswell 

I’d be surprised, I think she has too much integrity and independence to want to sign up with Global and the much more mainstream Capital Dance.

2 hours ago, GeekTalk51 said:

I think Moyles was right for the times when he came on in 2004, but personally I think he went on too long and the show lost its shine and it’s relevance by the end; in my ideal world he’d have been replaced with Mills around 2009, and then Greg brought up by 2015, with a new DJ ready to take over sometime this or next year.

While my first hunch is to disagree about Moyles going on too long, I realise your plan would have avoided a Grimmy breakfast show, so maybe it would have been a better way :) 

31 minutes ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Nah, there won’t be any changes that soon after a September schedule revamp.  What indicates this change is coming?

In the last 12 months there was the September schedule change and the January schedule change. The September one mainly impacted weekdays, whilst the January one impacted weekends more.

I would expect another schedule change next January, but it’ll probably be smaller than this, maybe just one change (you can probably guess which one I’m thinking of).

7 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

In the last 12 months there was the September schedule change and the January schedule change. The September one mainly impacted weekdays, whilst the January one impacted weekends more.

I would expect another schedule change next January, but it’ll probably be smaller than this, maybe just one change (you can probably guess which one I’m thinking of).

Grimshaw or Mills?

17 minutes ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Grimshaw or Mills?

Grimshaw and North to swap I suspect and at the same time RMC would get Mids on Friday as well 

September 2022 Mills to R2 M&M to weekday afternoons Monday - Friday, Jordan takes on chart so is on drive 5 days making Friday daytime back to being part of the week 

Just now, Lee E said:

Grimshaw and North to swap I suspect and at the same time RMC would get Mids on Friday as well 

September 2022 Mills to R2 M&M to weekday afternoons Monday - Friday, Jordan takes on chart so is on drive 5 days making Friday daytime back to being part of the week 

All very plausible, but I’d sort of discounted M&M going to weekdays, would they really want that commitment?

Quite sad that out of that really strong weekend lineup of 

6am: Dev

10am: Matt Edmondson 

1pm: Alice Levine

None of them will have reached a weekday slot, both Dev and Alice are gone, and it’s looking less and less likely as time goes on that Matt and Mollie will go to weekdays, after an effective demotion taking them off Friday breakfast.  Matt was 100% Scott’s designated successor for a few years but Scott outlasted Edmondson’s viability for that position in the eyes of R1 management!?

10 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

I'm going to stick my oar in here (again!) and say that I think Jack Saunders at 8pm is a great move. Entertainment at mid-morning (RM&C) should be a higher priority, and I've always found Saunders a bit too 'lively' past 10pm. Plus, there was a thread on here some time ago bemoaning the downgrading of Indie* - so 8pm raises it's profile again, and will be a positive choice for those of us who would rather stick with the radio than switch to the TV, in the evening. 10pm for chill material works for me, too - It will compete with Gideon Coe on 6 for my affections.  It's really not like me to be so welcoming of change, so surprised myself by writing all this! 

(* broadly speaking - anything made by non-millionaires, where you can hear (at least some) real instruments, and non-autotuned vocals).

I wish they had the commitment to play more alternative music between hours of 00:00-04:00 felt Jacks energy works around then still unsure how RMC will work with the audience at that time slot

38 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

I don’t really understand the idea that Matt and Mollie were demoted in January. Their previous position was closed and replaced with one which just covered Saturday and Sundays. By moving to 1pm they can stay on for three days a week. 

I feel on Friday not doing breakfast slight demotion but assume that there could be more listeners on afternoons than breakfast at the weekends they sounding good on that slot a good duo I did feel that they could’ve countinued in that slot for continuity as have been switched around abit