Unofficial Mills

Which daytime DJ won’t be on in 5 years?

GeekTalk51

26 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

Radio 1 is - today - in a very healthy place. There's no problem to 'fix', of course the station should continue to evolve but Aled seems very well placed to do that effectively. Why should the station not be allowed to be populist? Why alienate a large portion of the audience and suggest they go to the private sector? Surely each person is equally entitled to enjoy the station, it doesn't need to be made into a niche broadcaster only appealing to a minority, leaving the rest to suffer with the likes of Capital?

I think you and I have VERY different opinions regarding white, male, abled presenters. I want a station that sounds at its best and picks the cream of the UK radio talent irrespective of gender, ethnicity, disability etc. You're looking to force-fit presenters based on certain characteristics who may well be okay but if they were the cream they'd already be obvious rising stars in the industry. We have a fundamentally different view about the merits of such an approach so probably not worth debating it. All I will say - a little smugly if I'm honest - is that Aled is way too smart to go down any of the wild routes you propose.

I think this is too dismissive of the massive barriers to a station reflecting young Britain in all its diversity, as the flagship youth network should.  No one is suggesting we should put terrible presenters in slots because of skin colour, but there is a need for a more diverse lineup over time; Radio 1 is actually better at this than most of the radio industry, which is a huge boys club with entry barriers that mean it’s overwhelmingly middle class white men in the jobs, and Radio 1 needs to look to different spaces and backgrounds to recruit.  

Equally, don’t dismiss the remit to be a youth station.  I don’t think that’s about driving away older listeners (that was always a bit jarring, who cares who listens), but it needs to be about actively targeting and attracting young audiences (crucially the 16-24 demo) and having that run through everything you do.  That doesn’t mean showbiz gossip 24/7, I actually think that means lots of relatable chatty stuff, and honest discussions about things like mental health, all stuff Greg excels at (I actually think he’s a much more effective voice for Gen Z, with Grimmy sounding much more like he’s talking to ageing millennials), but Radio 1’s job isn’t to be a populist network attracting all demos, it’s job is to speak to and for young people, providing them with audio content in linear and non linear fashion, and if others wish to listen then that’s great, but their job is that demo.

1 minute ago, GeekTalk51 said:

I think this is too dismissive of the massive barriers to a station reflecting young Britain in all its diversity, as the flagship youth network should.  No one is suggesting we should put terrible presenters in slots because of skin colour, but there is a need for a more diverse lineup over time; Radio 1 is actually better at this than most of the radio industry, which is a huge boys club with entry barriers that mean it’s overwhelmingly middle class white men in the jobs, and Radio 1 needs to look to different spaces and backgrounds to recruit.  

Thanks for agreeing to my point I feel like if you tune into stuff like Capital Xtra, Radio 1 Xtra, Kiss etc have some good talent emerging snd more diverse talent emerging that do definatley deserve a chance as the station could do more in appealing to new listeners who really feel like they underserved by the station and haven’t neccasrily listened to the station before and would want the station to sound like them. Than just going for an audience that have already tuned into radio 1 and finding it again as it’s not reaching any really new audience or actually proactively engaging with the youth audience. What I liked about when I tuned into radio 1 when was younger with Newsbeat some of the internet take over the early Nick Grimshaw breakfast show it had a tone of wanting to connect with the younger generation who are finding rsdio for the first time. with the ‘Where it begins’ tag line summed up something refreshing think it needs that again but with appealing to a broader range of youth audience as I think people want to feel seen or heard when the current demographic is seen or heard else where and is now closing into a Radio 2 audience that is becoming increasingly younger. Think the actually moves of being more radical were for the best otherwise what’s good with a station that says it’s a youth station with rarely changing its sound 

1 hour ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Equally, don’t dismiss the remit to be a youth station.  I don’t think that’s about driving away older listeners (that was always a bit jarring, who cares who listens), but it needs to be about actively targeting and attracting young audiences (crucially the 16-24 demo) and having that run through everything you do.  That doesn’t mean showbiz gossip 24/7, I actually think that means lots of relatable chatty stuff, and honest discussions about things like mental health, all stuff Greg excels at (I actually think he’s a much more effective voice for Gen Z, with Grimmy sounding much more like he’s talking to ageing millennials), but Radio 1’s job isn’t to be a populist network attracting all demos, it’s job is to speak to and for young people, providing them with audio content in linear and non linear fashion, and if others wish to listen then that’s great, but their job is that demo.

The point I was challenging was rather the suggestion that anything done TO-DATE has been wrong. I don't disagree with the need to evolve the station in a diverse way, providing the quality is maintained. But to have chosen Dotty (as per the other suggestion) over Greg for R1 Breakfast would - in my opinion - have been a big mistake. I also believe there is also no current problem to fix per-se, but rather as you say a need to understand the barriers and work to continue to evolve as the youth market evolves.

Of course R1 clearly has a remit to be a youth station - and my point about not alienating people was rather a challenge back against the suggestion it should over-focus on certain diverse groups rather than be broadly appealing to youth. If a group of 20-year-olds are choosing Capital over R1 due to their needs not being met, that should beg the question 'how do we fix it' rather than 'you're not the right sort of 20-year-olds so we don't care' Agree 100% with your comments about Greg and Grimmy!

I still firmly believe the station must still have some populist content to stay broadly appealing and hence keep listener numbers at a reasonable level. If it did become too niche and lost too many listeners as a result, those middle-class white men in upper management would see that as a good excuse to remove funding and/or merge stations, which would then be a self-fulfilling path to the end of the station. That doesn't mean it should be a commercial-clone, not at all - and indeed I'd personally like to see just a few more links in daytime shows to differentiate the station further - but at the same time putting a new music show on for 2 hours in mid-morning (for example) in the name of 'public service' would be a disaster!

10 hours ago, GeekTalk51 said:

8 hours ago, Bluestraw said:

The point I was challenging was rather the suggestion that anything done TO-DATE has been wrong. I don't disagree with the need to evolve the station in a diverse way, providing the quality is maintained. But to have chosen Dotty (as per the other suggestion) over Greg for R1 Breakfast would - in my opinion - have been a big mistake. I also believe there is also no current problem to fix per-se, but rather as you say a need to understand the barriers and work to continue to evolve as the youth market evolves.

Of course R1 clearly has a remit to be a youth station - and my point about not alienating people was rather a challenge back against the suggestion it should over-focus on certain diverse groups rather than be broadly appealing to youth. If a group of 20-year-olds are choosing Capital over R1 due to their needs not being met, that should beg the question 'how do we fix it' rather than 'you're not the right sort of 20-year-olds so we don't care' Agree 100% with your comments about Greg and Grimmy!

I still firmly believe the station must still have some populist content to stay broadly appealing and hence keep listener numbers at a reasonable level. If it did become too niche and lost too many listeners as a result, those middle-class white men in upper management would see that as a good excuse to remove funding and/or merge stations, which would then be a self-fulfilling path to the end of the station. That doesn't mean it should be a commercial-clone, not at all - and indeed I'd personally like to see just a few more links in daytime shows to differentiate the station further - but at the same time putting a new music show on for 2 hours in mid-morning (for example) in the name of 'public service' would be a disaster!

Remember the station is a PSB and that being bit diverse wouldn’t alienate expanding beyond white male doesnt allienate the station isn’t commercial and has a responsiblity to be distinct and actually provide Puvlic service broadcasting not a populist station as you mauthing. It wouldn’t see the station shut but young people deserve a station that changes with a time and looks and sounds like them. I don’t think the issue neccasrily they are going to capital but think the station shouldn’t mind or accept that some would choose capital Oder them that’s about excepting the role of not being a commercial radio station just going for the chunk of the makers the station should be going for informative content that fills the remit of being a state funded public service broadcaster. and actually be willing to reach a new youth audience as there’s an issue is that radio 1 still doesn’t look or sound like young people. Why did you feel that someone like Dotty would be wrong choice?

9 hours ago, Bluestraw said:

I don’t think more diversity would in any way drive away groups of young people.  Young people as a cohort are more multicultural and diverse these days and they expect that to be reflected in their media, as it is in their popular culture.  Historically Radio 1 will absolutely have denied opportunities to more worthy individuals due to skin colour or gender, as every profession has historically, the aim now must be to eradicate that prejudice, which as I say, Radio 1 is done a better job at than its commercial rivals.

6 minutes ago, GeekTalk51 said:

I don’t think more diversity would in any way drive away groups of young people.  Young people as a cohort are more multicultural and diverse these days and they expect that to be reflected in their media, as it is in their popular culture.  Historically Radio 1 will absolutely have denied opportunities to more worthy individuals due to skin colour or gender, as every profession has historically, the aim now must be to eradicate that prejudice, which as I say, Radio 1 is done a better job at than its commercial rivals.

Not sure I said that diversity would drive people away?! Just that FORCED diversity would potentially lower quality and that itself would be a bad thing. Of course shows should absolutely be given on merit and opportunities not denied to anyone based on skin colour or gender, but we can't change the past and as you say, R1 has done better than many at already changing that approach.

The point I'm challenging is - what is currently needed to 'fix' about the weekday lineup in terms of diversity? It seems very strong and diverse... Greg (straight white male) aside, we have a woman on earlies, a black woman on mornings, a gay man on afternoons, a gay man on drive and a woman on evenings. And I'd say all those shows have been given to the presenter on merit and not due to any force-fitting. So what are we even debating?! ?

1 hour ago, BBCAaron said:

Remember the station is a PSB and that being bit diverse wouldn’t alienate expanding beyond white male doesnt allienate the station isn’t commercial and has a responsiblity to be distinct and actually provide Puvlic service broadcasting not a populist station as you mauthing. It wouldn’t see the station shut but young people deserve a station that changes with a time and looks and sounds like them. I don’t think the issue neccasrily they are going to capital but think the station shouldn’t mind or accept that some would choose capital Oder them that’s about excepting the role of not being a commercial radio station just going for the chunk of the makers the station should be going for informative content that fills the remit of being a state funded public service broadcaster. and actually be willing to reach a new youth audience as there’s an issue is that radio 1 still doesn’t look or sound like young people. Why did you feel that someone like Dotty would be wrong choice?

Yes it's a PSB but so is BBC1 and that has various populist shows. Is that wrong too? PSB doesn't need to mean niche, it can be the best of populist and distinctive which - personally - I think it already is.

What evidence - other than your personal view - do you have that it currently doesn't look or sound like young people? I'm certain R1 work with many youth focus group and carefully analyse audience data. It remains a fact that the majority of UK young people are white, able-bodied and straight. So that naturally leads to the majority of the presenters being that way, but also with a good mix of diverse presenters to complete the mix. That surely is already the case?!

Why do I feel Dotty would have been wrong instead of Greg? Because I find Greg to be a significantly stronger presenter than Dotty, simple as that. She's not bad of course, but just not AS strong as Greg and hence he was right for the job. Not because he's a man, or because he's white - but as the other poster mentioned he is extremely relatable to the right youth audience so he got the job on merit! Do I think that one day there could be a black woman presenting breakfast? Absolutely, I'm sure that will also be an on-merit choice for the right person, potentially Vick Hope...

I’m just highlighting the point is that the there could be people as equal talent or even more talent than there is you give little to say why Greg is somehow better talent I don’t think you will be able to find ghat many that feel radio 1 sounds like them it’s not the case if it seems majority of the population are so be it it’s about representation that is important for a PSB and not doing populist content personally do find bbc one often does too much interms of competition reality and more formats that seems like ITV 

27 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

Yes it's a PSB but so is BBC1 and that has various populist shows. Is that wrong too? PSB doesn't need to mean niche, it can be the best of populist and distinctive which - personally - I think it already is.

What evidence - other than your personal view - do you have that it currently doesn't look or sound like young people? I'm certain R1 work with many youth focus group and carefully analyse audience data. It remains a fact that the majority of UK young people are white, able-bodied and straight. So that naturally leads to the majority of the presenters being that way, but also with a good mix of diverse presenters to complete the mix. That surely is already the case?!

Why do I feel Dotty would have been wrong instead of Greg? Because I find Greg to be a significantly stronger presenter than Dotty, simple as that. She's not bad of course, but just not AS strong as Greg and hence he was right for the job. Not because he's a man, or because he's white - but as the other poster mentioned he is extremely relatable to the right youth audience so he got the job on merit! Do I think that one day there could be a black woman presenting breakfast? Absolutely, I'm sure that will also be an on-merit choice for the right person, potentially Vick Hope...

Anyway how is it merit when it’s very much unexplained why more jobs aren’t being filled in the industry by a plurality of voices from different voices. It’s hardly merit if the odds are bias to often hiring white men and there’s less opportunities of marigalised and  minority groups actually getting equal treatment 

57 minutes ago, GeekTalk51 said:

I concur just see there’s much more to be done still.

21 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I’m just highlighting the point is that the there could be people as equal talent or even more talent than there is you give little to say why Greg is somehow better talent I don’t think you will be able to find ghat many that feel radio 1 sounds like them it’s not the case if it seems majority of the population are so be it it’s about representation that is important for a PSB and not doing populist content personally do find bbc one often does too much interms of competition reality and more formats that seems like ITV 

I think it's hard to explain why someone is better talent as it's so subjective. But I think the fact that Greg has recently been promoted to 5 days vs 4 days is an indication that he is doing well and is going nowhere!

The fact is that the population is already well-represented by R1 today. And you and I have a very different view of the intents of PSB... Viewer / listener numbers DO matter to a PSB.

Anyway how is it merit when it’s very much unexplained why more jobs aren’t being filled in the industry by a plurality of voices from different voices. It’s hardly merit if the odds are bias to often hiring white men and there’s less opportunities of marigalised and  minority groups actually getting equal treatment 

Let's focus just on R1 here. The wider industry may have a way to go but R1 is filled with a variety of different voices so what's the issue?

2 hours ago, Bluestraw said:

Let's focus just on R1 here. The wider industry may have a way to go but R1 is filled with a variety of different voices so what's the issue?

My thing is radio 1 still has got a lot to do to make it seem actually seen as an essential youth based service which deserves funding and for a young audience the late teens early twenties people of Gen Z to see it as worth its money. There’s still gaping holes for actually having a plurality of voices and much would be need answered as it would be a poor move if Aled within 5 years time done something radical it’s about being a distinct service from the private sector and radio 1 are doing it less and less and not offering as fair chance to competition or focus on some of the niches it would to actually deliver from different demographics under the title of a youth station.

it is an issue with Radio 1, as they lack having Asian presenters on the station little interms of having Scottish northern Irish and welsh voices in key allotted slots seems very much an older millienial or than having some Gen Z presenters and still no abled presenters I also know still barriers exist for getting other LGBTQ presenters in and within it it needs to accept that if it did focus on embracing diversity by talent and merit than the current bias it can reach a more diverse audience and able to focus more on conversations and music that reaches a wider demographic and for more commercialised features like Anthems and just focusing on doing daytime shows not very different to its competition it could fulfil its purpose. 

It’s that we can expect better from the station and with the broadcaster BBC at large feeling like it doesn’t know what the oldest and the youngest want it’s one way of fixing that

7 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

My thing is radio 1 still has got a lot to do to make it seem actually seen as an essential youth based service which deserves funding and for a young audience the late teens early twenties people of Gen Z to see it as worth its money. There’s still gaping holes for actually having a plurality of voices and much would be need answered as it would be a poor move if Aled within 5 years time done something radical it’s about being a distinct service from the private sector and radio 1 are doing it less and less and not offering as fair chance to competition or focus on some of the niches it would to actually deliver from different demographics under the title of a youth station.

it is an issue with Radio 1, as they lack having Asian presenters on the station little interms of having Scottish northern Irish and welsh voices in key allotted slots seems very much an older millienial or than having some Gen Z presenters and still no abled presenters I also know still barriers exist for getting other LGBTQ presenters in and within it it needs to accept that if it did focus on embracing diversity by talent and merit than the current bias it can reach a more diverse audience and able to focus more on conversations and music that reaches a wider demographic and for more commercialised features like Anthems and just focusing on doing daytime shows not very different to its competition it could fulfil its purpose. 

It’s that we can expect better from the station and with the broadcaster BBC at large feeling like it doesn’t know what the oldest and the youngest want it’s one way of fixing that

I won't debate, but will just say I strongly disagree and think you're wrong. There are no gaping holes, and I hope Aled continues to treat the station as he currently is doing, which is very well ? 

12 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

3 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

I won't debate, but will just say I strongly disagree and think you're wrong. There are no gaping holes, and I hope Aled continues to treat the station as he currently is doing, which is very well ? 

For a bit of context to this debate, if neither of you mind, how old are you both?  Could be quite revealing.