Unofficial Mills

is aled too nice to be boss of radio 1?

radio247

a conversation started elsewhere and i wanted to know your thoughts.

other than tweaking the schedule aled hasn't had a ruthless streak we've seen with other radio 1 controllers. the daytime schedule has not dramatically changed in years. is he too nice for the job?

2 hours ago, Jono said:

I would have thought during the pandemic he's just trying to steady the ship. Huw Stephens, Dev and Phil Taggart were all losses to the station, so he has made some difficult decisions already.

Indeed - He doesn't want to be doing a Bannister type clear out specially when there is a pandemic on - Dev and all were difficult decisions, can you imagine the uproar there will be if Scott or dare I even say Grimmy moves on? He knows that as well 

5 hours ago, Jono said:

I would have thought during the pandemic he's just trying to steady the ship. Huw Stephens, Dev and Phil Taggart were all losses to the station, so he has made some difficult decisions already.

Think Dev was always better with Alice and don’t think as strong on his own think they could’ve given a Phil Taggart a better slot and show know he said he found the chillest show worked better in 10pm to 1pm for me felt the same as it’s as listeners get ready for bed for the new week. Huw Stephens in my opinion deserves a full time slot on six music he definatley fits 6M and does good with covering 

2 hours ago, Lee E said:

Indeed - He doesn't want to be doing a Bannister type clear out specially when there is a pandemic on - Dev and all were difficult decisions, can you imagine the uproar there will be if Scott or dare I even say Grimmy moves on? He knows that as well 

I’d think I’d be as controversial and go quite radical on a reshape and rejig of the programming to appeal better to under 30s and Generation Z. Do wonder how long Grim, Greg and possibly Rickie Melvin got left. Found it was quite odd to bring them over from Kiss breakfast to do an Evening slot. Think glad that Cels gone but could see maybe some point by January 2022 or mid year another rejig I mean possibly if few more Radio 2 presenters get pouched for Greatest Hits Radio and Virgin Radio could see possibly Scott move over to radio 2. I think it will be the case that yes understand why some people may want Jordan North possibly be put into a drive or daytime slot with the possibility if they put it of for few years could be offered something like Radio X or Heart. But feel that there is definately need of probably shuffle in next few years as pressure may come from head up. I suppose it must be interesting Aled in his role as he doesn’t have the same power or authority Ben Cooper has now there’s a head of pop radio and seperate radio 1 Xtra controllers 

5 hours ago, radio247 said:

a conversation started elsewhere and i wanted to know your thoughts.

other than tweaking the schedule aled hasn't had a ruthless streak we've seen with other radio 1 controllers. the daytime schedule has not dramatically changed in years. is he too nice for the job?

I think the station may need to become more diverse and offer something more unique I do feel that the 2-5 slot needs to be re thought and actually I would scrap the Radio Dance stream and find the station has become to passive interms of content