Unofficial Mills

Unpopular Radio 1 Opinions

Jono

Time for you to give your unpopular opinions about Radio 1 (what could go wrong?).

Mine is that I don't understand the people who mourn Innuendo Bingo... I enjoyed it, but there are far better features Scott Mills could bring back.

PS Let's try to keep the personal remarks about presenters out of the thread.

Here's mine:

I don't miss Dev or Cel Spellman

Matt & Mollie are better on breakfast than Greg

I quite like Grimmy's show

RMC are be better covering Clara than Adele

Music features are better than other features that go on for ages (except Granny Tinder!)

Radio 1 Anthems is one of the best shows of the station

Matt is better with Vick than Mollie (Mollie is better with Jordan)

24 minutes ago, JacobRadioFan said:

Oooo interesting idea! Mine is.... I actually really love Radio 1 Anthems! I'll show myself out hahahah...... 

I enjoy anthems but I struggle to understand DJs that get excited about one that's been played several times before. Perhaps I'm too much of an avid listener...

12 minutes ago, Jono said:

I enjoy anthems but I struggle to understand DJs that get excited about one that's been played several times before. Perhaps I'm too much of an avid listener...

I'm not a fan of the 'mixes' either. I would rather hear older songs in full, played into the system like any other song on the playlist. If you listen often enough, you can tell which mix is which as they repeat them often.

There's too much reliance on these mixes in my opinion.. 10am-11am anthems hour, classic Dance anthems, Radio 1 dance (which will be the output on the main radio 1 station on Friday), 'going home anthems', which just uses mixes that have been played out in the anthems hour. They've even started using them in Greg's show on Fridays (usually 3 songs back to back on the TOTH & BOTH after the news). Do they still do workout anthems during early breakfast on Wednesdays? That's another example.

Oh, I agree with you so much. The anthems are good, but if they did more of them it would be much better. Even after the first song in the mix I know what's coming next. It's just boring. 

As for other opinions - Greg was better in the afternoon and the music on the station should have more rotation because after a few weeks with the same playlist I get tired and have to stop listening to Radio 1 for a few days. 

2 hours ago, Lily Georgia said:

Great topic!  Here goes... I find Charlie Hedges unlistenable.

I agree on her own not fan, i would also extend this to RMC only work as trio, spilt them up they don't work or sound the same. 

Grimmy' is need a part of radio 1, and should stay on drive. 

5 hours ago, georgeh said:

I agree on her own not fan, i would also extend this to RMC only work as trio, spilt them up they don't work or sound the same. 

Grimmy' is need a part of radio 1, and should stay on drive. 

I think with Grimmy think actually in reflections didn’t appreciate it as much but on reflection was a better breakfast presenter than Greg but do find Breakfast interns of the way content is orentated is a kind of a difficult one to manage due to pressure and getting the tone right liked Greg at first on breakfast found got bored of stuff like un popular opinions and some of the ask the nation stuff snd feel like it’s more something that is a breakfast that doesn’t as much as Grimmy did appeal or seem as in touch with the teenage audience. Think it would be better if it was more guest based but think enjoyed some of features Grim used to do with Nixtape and Call or Delete and entertainment news.

Think if look at previous comments feel like have some unpopular opinions on here. I think Greg would’ve been better maybe with a cohost as he seemed like would’ve been good presenting with Dotty and feel that interms of on air presenters do think the station needs to bring across some from one Xtra as when you think the playlist is incorporating a lot of rap stuff like that and would be good to have the presenters know the scene and to actually represent the sound of young Britain after all I think if Aled is to do a reshuffle there maybe pressure to actually include more voices from all Corners of the United Kingdom in daytime and peak slots 

7 hours ago, BBChris said:

Oh, I agree with you so much. The anthems are good, but if they did more of them it would be much better. Even after the first song in the mix I know what's coming next. It's just boring. 

As for other opinions - Greg was better in the afternoon and the music on the station should have more rotation because after a few weeks with the same playlist I get tired and have to stop listening to Radio 1 for a few days. 

I think the ting with anthems would be good if did the theme playlists they do whether Pop, rap and rnb or decade specific anthems in those slots make it more the mic like would be good if could get like on April 12 Pub garden Athens or Chillout anthems on Sunday morning or like wouldve been good on Goode like this weekend being Scott Mills birthday Scott Mills faviorute anthems of bangers choices like when did the themed summer mixes may make things a bit more interesting for the listeners. Agree Greg was better in the afternoon I think breakfast needed to be less intense in sound and a bit more relaxed find he’s done it far too corny and cringey that when was in sixth form started to tune out from it as it sounded unbareable to listen to. Think what I liked more is if was more when guests come on was more of an interview and bits of entertainment news may play some new tracks that dropped and also go back to the times of doing big interviews when pop stars drop a big track on a Friday and talk on more entertainment stories. Think Matt and Mollie weren’t too bad st doing Friday breakfast 

I’ll throw in a few: 

• I don’t really like Greg’s breakfast show and much preferred him on drive

• Scott is sounding better in his current 1-3:30 slot than he has ever done before 

• Annie Mac isn’t really suited to the Monday - Thursday Future Sounds show and Jack Saunders would be much better on it. She can definitely stay on Friday nights though.

27 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

I’ll throw in a few: 

• I don’t really like Greg’s breakfast show and much preferred him on drive

• Scott is sounding better in his current 1-3:30 slot than he has ever done before 

• Annie Mac isn’t really suited to the Monday - Thursday Future Sounds show and Jack Saunders would be much better on it. She can definitely stay on Friday nights though.

Yes agree with Greg I do think that his time on station maybe up soon and is a nice enough person but not as strong a broadcaster and feel like is kind of too corny and cheesy. I don’t think that it is struggling as a breakfast show as cheesy in away like Roman Kemp one too many unpopular opinions. 

For Scott’s afternoon show feel the timings bit annoying kind of think granny tinder has run it’s course. But think needs to maybe switch one of the features around on the show as needed every few months.

I lthink Annie is quiet suited for it but I do agree with what you saying Jack has more passion I would personally move the Future Sounds earlier in the day. however think could happily see her doing some presenting over on 6 Music now her career is going on the way of podcasting and book writing and touring. So by end of year or next year it wouldn’t be surprising if said after seven years want to leave the show. Think if as some say about Clara Amfo did Evenings I would have that doing covering more Live Music and some events in pop culture doing more big interviews and maybe more coverage of festivals in that slot.

if Greg had the same drive team on production fro breakfast and with Chris Smith joining him it would’ve sounded different 

1 hour ago, Darren m said:

Jordan should be on drive he will snapped up by comercial if radio 1 aren’t carful 

I would put him on an a a 10 midnight slot before Scott or Greg leave or maybe scale down with other presenting work think it would be good to hear him doing some more late night humour with incorporating some comedy and entertainment and like pub chat so prep work for maybe him doing breakfast maybe with a cohost. Could honestly see Radio X snapping him up as would be good at presenting as would be good banter as think would be good with bringing more of his humour and think if had a non daytime slot think he’d atleast be able to do things in prep that would be hard to do in daytime like think it helped Nick Grimshaw and Colin Murray being in that later slot first

2 hours ago, anothernerd said:

Greg James should still be on drivetime.

Anthems is quite a good weekend listen (especially with Jordan!) 

I think that some recent decisions have made things harder for the station found atleast it seemed before when the shows where the other way around on daytime they had a better idea of using multi media podcasts social media and video output through IPlayer and YouTube 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:32 AM, Jono said:

(what could go wrong?).

This was the last post I read yesterday before the site went all 404. Thought the opinions got a little too unpopular... :D

On 3/29/2021 at 12:32 PM, NathanS said:

I'm not a fan of the 'mixes' either. I would rather hear older songs in full, played into the system like any other song on the playlist.

My take on Anthems: Nowadays it's my favourite punching bag, but Greatest Hits started off as my most liked show (even the Maya Jama edition), but then they kept repeating too much, started mixing the songs (and how badly... those awkward mashups), and the presenters got limited to shoutouts and fake excitement, no more "Heaven... or **echo on** HELL" or anything like that. And instead of a few hours per week, now it's on probably every day, sometimes an anthems show is followed by another one (Dance at 4AM then workout anthems at 5), it's no longer special at all. And the worst part: it made me detest Teenage Dirtbag. Whenever I hear that song, I scream and switch off ASAP. Before Anthems, only Justin Bieber songs had that privilege. :D

On Greg: I agree that his drive show was the better one, but I like having him on breakfast more. I wish they just moved the drive show the breakfast as it was, including Chris Smith.

But (oh my god, here we go) not the Going Home Song. That got old really fast, and had the Wheatus-effect on me after the first year or so, just without the screaming. Instant switch off.

On 4/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, GeekTalk51 said:

Dev should have had a much bigger gig at Radio 1 and got it much sooner.

Yeash he kind of missed the boat a bit - waited on earlies for a bit then got weekend breakfast which i'd say was less of a gig, then covered weekdays, maybe had Grimmy gone after breakfast completely he would have got drive maybe but - like Scott with breakfast that ship sailed

I think in an alternate world Moyles shoudl ahve left in about 2009/10 then Scott on breakfast for 5 years then onto afternoons, like Mayo etc with Greg taking Breakfast then and Grimmy not on weekdays

On 4/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, michaelb said:

100% agree. Alice was much better than Dev.

I agree, she was the stronger comedic  personality out of that duo, i do hope another station picks her up soon. 
Also whilst on the subject of unpopular opinions- Adele isn’t great on Weekend breakfast. I don’t know what it is- but her show always feels a bit off