Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 DJs and mental health

Jono

I notice a lot of Radio 1 DJs in recent years talking about mental health.

Greg, Scott, and Grimmy have all spoken previously about anxiety, a number of other DJs have also tweeted and have spoken about their struggles. Greg posted how he needed a break this week, while Matt Edmondson also gave quite an open interview with the Mirror recently about an illness. 

It surprises me given how confident they all are behind the microphone despite what they've had to deal with - certainly very inspiring for those who have their own struggles. 

I do wonder if there's a podcast series in hearing how these personalities deal with it while presenting at one of the biggest radio stations, should they all be up for it. 

I think it would be good if that radio one did more life hacks mental health conversations in the weekday schedule and in the week throughout to talk about issues affect young people and listeners. Why I find Jordan North would be good at doing more of an evening entertainment show on the radio 1 at night to have something that more centred around companionship for the listener. Think it is good to have mix of real talk and entertainment as radio is best when it feels you involved in the conversation or in the room as a friend of the presenter. It would be good to do some sort of light talk shows with mix of music talking about issues that both presenters and listeners can relate to as think that would be Important public broadcasting can be podcasted so centred around listeners well-being. Would like that as a young person whose Neurodivergent and anxiety so would be good 

• 2 years later...

It's quite heartening to see public figures like Radio 1 DJs opening up about their mental health challenges. It's a testament to the fact that anyone, regardless of their outward confidence, can face inner battles.
A podcast series delving into how these personalities cope while presenting on a big radio station would be a great initiative. It could provide valuable insights and strategies for others going through similar experiences.
If you or anyone you know is looking for resources related to mental health, you might find Releaf cannabis card to be a helpful source.
Thanks for highlighting this important topic, and let's continue to break down the stigma surrounding mental health discussions.