Unofficial Mills

When was Greg as his best?

Fourcandles

Just a thought - I watched a clip on Greg's insta from when he did the Prue Leith song. It got me thinking about his breakfast show. I think he's great at it, but I think Greg was at his peak at R1 towards the end of his drive show (last year or two). In interviews, he said that this was when he assumed he wouldn't get breakfast and so just starting going weird and funny stuff on the show, and I just thought the content was great. The fatberg visit, shouldn't be news, the podcast and all the other stuff, I just thought it was really really funny.

Don't get me wrong, I like his breakfast show - it just all feels a bit more polished, and like it's all taken very seriously (which is understandable) whereas I think he was at his best when he didn't care and was just being silly. Does anyone agree? Disagree? I would quite like him to have a weekend show so he could do something like this again, just a show where it didn't have to be so planned and proper

Yes! I completely agree, I think when it was him and Chris and then Chris and Grace producing the show was the best and it’s such a shame that that completely changed when he started the breakfast show! I still enjoy it, it just feels more ‘safe’ and less spontaneous than his old show which was probably, for a time, my favourite show on Radio 1! 

Fully agree with all of the above posts. I miss the banter between Greg & Chris Smith, What's My Age Again and the mayor of where? especially. I think he's great and it was a spot on decision by Ben Cooper and Aled to swap him and Grimmy. Maybe it's just i miss that old dynamic on the drive show, and Radio 1 in general at the time. A lot has changed (both for the best and not so great) since, and it's understandable things would change a bit upon landing the breakfast show. Regardless, it's great he now has 5 days and long may his time on breakfast continue. Should Jordan be offered drivetime, that would make a very strong line-up with Scott & Chris plus Annie Mac and Jack Saunders in the evenings

Go back further, and i enjoyed the pre chart show era, with Feet Up Friday. Maybe wishful thinking but would love if they revived the idea somewhat, maybe in the last hour of the show

15 hours ago, NathanS said:

Fully agree with all of the above posts. I miss the banter between Greg & Chris Smith, What's My Age Again and the mayor of where? especially. I think he's great and it was a spot on decision by Ben Cooper and Aled to swap him and Grimmy. Maybe it's just i miss that old dynamic on the drive show, and Radio 1 in general at the time. A lot has changed (both for the best and not so great) since, and it's understandable things would change a bit upon landing the breakfast show. Regardless, it's great he now has 5 days and long may his time on breakfast continue. Should Jordan be offered drivetime, that would make a very strong line-up with Scott & Chris plus Annie Mac and Jack Saunders in the evenings

Go back further, and i enjoyed the pre chart show era, with Feet Up Friday. Maybe wishful thinking but would love if they revived the idea somewhat, maybe in the last hour of the show

Here's a question, when it was Greg's drive show before the chart, on a Friday Scott used to do Floorfillers or ready for the weekend, but what did Greg do in the 6-7 Friday slot ? I know it was branded as Dance Anthems on Friday when the chart came in was it that before though 

As mentioned by lots of other people, drivetime Greg was my favourite too. He was good on early breakfast, I liked his afternoon show too, but I think by about 2013 on drivetime he'd really hit his stride. Him and Chris Smith had a chemistry he hasn't been able to replicate with anyone since, it was great listening. Features were really good too - Star Caller on Monday, Nerd Alerts on Tuesday, Rage on Wednesday, the Mayor of Where on Thursday and Feet Up Friday was the best era for me.

The drivetime show started to go downhill a little bit for me by the end of 2015, when Chris's involvement started to be cut back a bit and Pippa and Travis left the production team. But it was still a fantastic show, and the podcast was awesome too. Such a shame it was never revived as promised.

But, yeah. Breakfast feels very safe and sometimes a bit smug too. I miss the drivetime era of the show.