Unofficial Mills

Changes at Radio 1 from 4th January 2021

NathanS

Hi

First post on here. I've been lurking for a while but was always a bit shy to join in and post, so i hope i can make some contributions here and there.

I haven't seen a post about this yet (although i can see it being discussed in the chatbox) so i hope it's alright to start a topic?

As discussed elsewhere, Dev, Phil Taggart and Huw Stephens are all leaving the station at the end of the year. Dev and Phil's last respective shows are on Sunday 20th December. I'm assuming it's the same for Huw.

Greg James' weekday breakfast show will (rightfully in my opinion!) go 5 days a week (Monday to Friday 7-10:30). I imagine the last half hour on Fridays will still continue with Radio 1 anthems.

Arielle Free takes over Monday to Thursday early breakfast. Friday's will now showcase new and up and coming presenters. Of the first three announced (Joel Mitchell, Fee Mak and Mollie Finn), two were part of last years Christmas presenters. 

Adele Roberts moves to Weekend Breakfast (Sat/Sun 7-10:30) with Matt and Mollie moving back to 1-4  Fri-Sun (Which they previously hosted before weekend breakfast).

Replacing Phil Taggart and Huw Stephens on Sunday nights are Sian Eleri and Gemma Bradley respectively. Sian covered the Chillest Show over the festive period last year and is already a presenter at BBC Radio Cymru. Bradley joins from BBC Radio Ulster. 

I'll post some thoughts in a seperate post later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/radio-1-new-presenters-january-2021

Good call doing a topic on this - also it means it'll be easier in the future to look back at people's thoughts etc. This Friday is the weekend thing has just been made even more weird in my opinion, as they've still got weekend shows throughout the rest of the day. I am pleased Greg's got Fridays though. I never like presenters going back to their old slots, often feel like it's a bit of a backward step in most instances. Although, I did prefer Matt and Mollie on weekend afternoons to breakfast so I'm not too bitter. I really like the idea of rotating new talent on Friday mornings, Mollie Finn was a runner up in demo factor this year I think. Not too sure why Arielle couldn't have done weekend breakfast, but am sure Adele will do a good job as will Arielle on early breakfast - I suppose Adele has a bigger profile than Arielle as well. I'm a little disappointed that Riyadh Khalaf didn't get a slot - I am really starting to rate him. Sad to see Huw, Phil and especially Dev go :(

Hi eveyone, long time lurker here finally decided to create an account.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the changes, the only thing I'm a bit gutted about Matt and Mollie no longer doing weekend breakfast I've really been enjoying them they have some good features and they bounce off eachother which makes for a great show however I'm happy they're still on together weekend 1-4. Greg doing 5 days will be good.

Really happy for Adele and Arielle, Adele is a fantastic DJ and she's deserved a better show for a while now and Arielle is great too and she'll be great on early breakfast. 

Surprised Abbie McCarthy hasn’t joined to replace Huw. (Has she even done any cover this year?)

I miss Alice a lot, she was one of my fav R1 presenters (up there with Scott and Greg). Used to love her weekend afternoon show, then loved her even more when she moved to weekend breakfast with Dev.

Phil’s Sunday shows are nothing short of relaxing. From what I’ve listened to (thanks to the kind people on here) his show with Alice was amazing as well.

Dev was a great host, So so funny. I miss the days of ‘The 8th’. He did a great job as the caretaker host better then Sloth in my opinion. I had a feeling he’d be off soon. Once Alice left, he felt a bit out of place. Like he’d outgrown the station.
In regards to the new stuff, 
I Wanted Arielle to get weekend afternoons. Adele seems an odd choice but granted she’s used to the early start 

Excited to hear the new guys. Especially  the Sunday night shows. I wonder if the rotation show will keep the ‘Best New Pop’ branding? 
I used to really hate Matt and Mollie, but I’ve grown to like them this year. Sad they’re off breakfast now. But good they’re back on the weekend afternoons where they started (they swapped shifts with D+A after about 6 months)

I don’t sleep that well, so I’m sure I’ll be hearing lots of Arielle (well deserved). I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. Jordan and Arielle should have their own show. Maybe 5-6 years down the line.

The new introducing show is the one I’m looking forward to the most. Feels right to have a new face front it. Huw was great. But once he got bumped off nights. Felt this was him clinging on. 
Roll on, 2021

51 minutes ago, anothernerd said:

Surprised Abbie McCarthy hasn’t joined to replace Huw. (Has she even done any cover this year?)

Abbie did  a couple of shows here and there. I think the biggest one was when hosted the listening party for the new Bond  song  Covering  for Jack. Plus maybe a couple of introducing shows, I think.  I do have to say that I am surprised at this was well, she would of been my first choices for the introducing slot. 

Gregg - good for consistency

Arielle - good for new show

Adele - good for a change

phil/huw - not entirely unexpected

dev - interested to see what does bext

Matt and mollie - I think their doing 1-4 inc Friday to prime the move to replace Scott/Chris in same slot then ditch the whole Friday thing

I think there are still a few unanswered questions and I wonder if anyone knows the answers to these? 
Will Friday’s anthems be booted off or will Greg end up doing the first half hour of them?

What will happen to Best New Pop? Will the new Friday presenters do it or will Mollie continue to pre record it?

Finally, I wonder what will happen to Party Anthems? I can’t see Matt and Mollie doing it so maybe Scott will get it back again? 

I feel bad for Adele because she would have all the early morning shift, and now on weekend mornings I can't imagine that the listener number is that high especially on Sunday mornings. I feel this is really a demotion for her..

In regards to Arielle I am really happy, honestly thought she was going to jump ship after loosing Saturday and Sunday. Will be nice to hear her on early mornings, especially for me as I have to get up at 6.30 mon-wed so will give me a chance to listen in! 

Poor Greg! Nah I am actually quite happy he is getting 5 days a week, it has always been so so so strange to me that Matt and Mollie would do Friday breakfast. Will be interesting to see if anthems stay! 

Matt and Mollie going back to afternoons, where they originally were will be great! I didn't really get a chance to listen to them then, so it will be very interesting to see what it is like with them on afternoons. I hope they still cover for Greg on mornings, but I reckon they'll be cover for Scott and Chris. Reckon Adele will be cover for Greg now or maybe Arielle? 

Not surprised about Dev if I am honest. It didn't feel right without Alice and I reckon he feels the same. I wonder if he is going to Capital Dance...

Huw and Phil not surprised again, they used to have what I would call "peak" shows, but they are now on Sundays. I don't think it is age, I think something is happening/has happened at Radio 1. They're not even that old! 

There has been so many people leaving Radio 1 and Radio 1Xtra. Dotty, Alice, Sideman, ToddlaT, MistaJam and now Dev, Phil and Huw. 

In regards to the post above about Party Anthems- I don't know it feels so out of place at 3pm lol. Maybe moving to a Saturday or to be Integrated with Dance Anthems?

3F_7BhJiQySWnHz1QJey5FYcno9vq0XsB5Op69_d

12 hours ago, Graeme said:

Need someone to do one of those charts of who’s on when tho - as I always lose the place!!

(ps - best new pop with mollie wrapped into the rotational Friday guest early breakfast?)

Click on link to view, let me know of any mistakes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LJgd_erE1m2E2Hlw9Wl6t88jMGflfSmX/view?usp=sharing

I have left anthems off as we don't really know how that will work yet.

33 minutes ago, abertom said:

Arielle to cover Clara? I’d be tempted to have Adele and Jordan sharing cover for Grimmy. Matt and Mollie or RMC should cover Scott if Chris is off or Jordan with Chris  and Scott and Chris covers Greg. 

I reckon cover will be as follows:

Breakfast - Scott and Chris

Morning - Arielle

Afternoon - Matt and Mollie

Drive time - Jordan

RMC - Adele and/or Vick

Early Breakfast - Katie / Riyadh / New Presenters

Weekends - Riyadh/Katie/Vick/New Presenters

45 minutes ago, THIS IS THE BBC said:

I reckon cover will be as follows:

Breakfast - Scott and Chris

Morning - Arielle

Afternoon - Matt and Mollie

Drive time - Jordan

RMC - Adele and/or Vick

Early Breakfast - Katie / Riyadh / New Presenters

Weekends - Riyadh/Katie/Vick/New Presenters

I’d say Yasmin Evans as well for the RMC slot. Other then that I completely agree with your guesses.

Finally someone at R1 realised how confusing Friday "Weekend" Breakfast was and let Greg have the slot. Great news!

I'm also really happy for Arielle, I was afraid she will just disappear after weekend early breakfast has been practically axed. I'll probably hear her live more, when apocalypse times are over and I have to get up earlier again.

Dev's and Phil's announcement was unexpected, Huw's not so much, he's rather been a 6music presenter lately.

As for the future I hope they tone down anthems a bit, now it feels like every third hour is an anthems block of some kind. And filling the schedule with lazy dance hours just to be able to repeat them endlessly on a new stream is just pure insanity.