Unofficial Mills

Dev Leaving Radio 1

TheSaviourisHere

What a year 2020’s been (espically for R1)

We lose , Alice, Mistajam and Dev oh and Maya + Dotty and Ace from 1xtra also left.

BUT we gain One new host (Vick)

Four Down.

I personally miss Alice. (Still hoping she’s got a better gig lined up) Dev, I’ll miss too. Really used to like his/her weakened breakfast show They were the better duo. Hope a station has swiped both Dev and Alice.  

4 minutes ago, JB57 said:

What is going on at that station ???? So many good DJs leaving !! Good Luck Dev

It’s just time for Radio 1 to evolve - there isn’t anywhere for Dev to go really and do better than he’s done in the past and done well to stay as long as he did. Good steady hands 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get mixed up and think Dev was on this. Aren't G6 a security firm company?

He's got to have had a good 10 years at it hasn't he? Not bad really, can't say I heard much of him but he must have been decent to hold a place for that long.

on the grid.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear Dev has found a new Radio home. I don't really listen to Heart (narrow playlist and short formatted links) but some DJ's are good at putting some personality across into tight, short links. Will Manning and Rob Howard over on Capital seem to be good at it, as is Mistajam, of course...and i think Dev will be too.

At a time on air radio roles are vanishing more and more due to the big commercial groups buying up smaller stations and networking their main brands, plus BBC Local Radio making cuts to their budgets, a job is a job so it might be a step down from his Radio 1 shows, but it's still a national radio gig on the biggest commercial network. Hopefully in time he can land some more shows/more prominent slot. There is often a lot of weekday cover up for grabs on Heart so wouldn't surprise me if he quickly moved into the go to cover role soon enough.

I wouldn't mind hearing him have a go covering the Big Top40 (then he'll be heard on Capital aswell!). He, of course has experience doing the Official Chart on R1. At least with these changes, everyone leaving already has or have secured a show/s elsewhere.

Money talks. Uncertainty around the BBC in general, plus now they now have to publicly publish the salaries of staff on their books who earn over 100k a year, the big commercial groups now know exactly how much they need to pay to poach talent from the BBC, highlighted by Chris Evans, plus the recent move of Graham Norton both to Virgin.

I get the impression the only people i think (reading between lines and personal opinion) chose to leave and were poached were Mistajam and Dotty (A.Dot). With the former, launching a brand new station dedicated to new dance music, along with,(more than likely) a pay rise was probably too big an opportunity to miss. Although on a slight tangent, although i miss his Radio 1 show, i get the best of both worlds listening to Charlie Hedges, then Mistajam on Capital so win win.

Dev moving to heart, I don’t think is about money. Just simply, there wasn’t anything left for him at Radio 1. He’d done earlies, nights, went round the weekends. Done plenty of cover. Many big weekends, glasto’s etc. Once Alice left, I had a feeling he’d be out. As I think Dev thought, this is it now. He’d be on with Alice for quite a few years. Both at the station for a while- they’d bounce of each other and keep the ideas fresh. Once she left, I felt Dev sounded lonely and his show quality went downhill. Heart can offer him a new audience. A new station, new bosses, new show. So, good for him.