Unofficial Mills

Which Radio 1 DJs should have been promoted?

Jono

Radio 1 has seen a number of faces come and go, what presenters do you think should have had a promotion?

I'm thinking about the likes of Wes, JK and Joel, Vicki Bright, etc who all had shows and disappeared off the station...

3 hours ago, Ash101 said:

Alice should’ve made it onto a weekday daytime slot really

Week day presenters are probably obliged to  have Radio 1 as their main role not to swanning off doing other projects. Weekends you can get away with being off for a month/6 weeks etc  but not a day time key slot. Annie seems an exception so maybe there’s a family reason for going back to Ireland. Greg, Scott and Grimmy might get to negotiate an additional 2/3 weeks a year to do Radio 2, Cricket etc but wouldn’t have thought any longer

3 hours ago, Ash101 said:

Alice should’ve made it onto a weekday daytime slot really

Week day presenters are probably obliged to  have Radio 1 as their main role not to swanning off doing other projects. Weekends you can get away with being off for a month/6 weeks etc  but not a day time key slot. Annie seems an exception so maybe there’s a family reason for going back to Ireland. Greg, Scott and Grimmy might get to negotiate an additional 2/3 weeks a year to do Radio 2, Cricket etc but wouldn’t have thought any longer

Luke Franks used to sit in for Alice Levine back in 2017. I remember him being really good and slick on air, but I also remember seeing how his style was too 'commercial' for Radio 1. I would have liked to hear him do a few more shows to adapt his style to Radio 1.

Pete Allison would have been good for a promotion too, and the names Jameela Jamil, Dan and Phil spring to mind...

16 minutes ago, WELOVEMOYLESPART2 said:

Jameela did Chart and then Clara took over to become the last ever Sunday Chart Show host for about 5 months before it moved to Fridays

I wonder why they didn't move Clara to the Friday slot instead of Greg? 

I know he's still on, but: Phil Taggart. Him getting 10 PM with Alice was fine, then they gave him one hour per week, got moved to 3 AM, and now he has The Chillest Show on Planet Earth, which is decent show in a fitting timeslot, just doesn't fit him at all. For example I'd trade 9 PM RMC for a Loudest Show on Planet Earth with Phil any time.