Unofficial Mills

New Schedule

THIS IS THE BBC

Grid below to show schedule from 1st September.

It really shows how different the weekday, Friday and weekend timings are!

I have left out some of the early morning as there are so many shows in a short amount of time and they change around constantly and weren't on the press release.

Click on image to enlarge.

schedule-min (2).png

I think it would be a much neater schedule if they got rid of best new pop, bringing Arielle's show in line with Adele's show and also getting rid of party anthems, giving Dev 3hrs on all three days.

1 hour ago, THIS IS THE BBC said:

I have left out some of the early morning as there are so many shows in a short amount of time and they change around constantly and weren't on the press release.

schedule-min (2).png

I think it would be a much neater schedule if they got rid of best new pop, bringing Arielle's show in line with Adele's show and also getting rid of party anthems, giving Dev 3hrs on all three days.

Agree with your statement about getting rid of the party anthems. In addition, they could have really got rid of Radio 1 Anthems too to give Jordan and Dev three hours each. Yes, it wouldn't line up with the daytime schedule, but it's better than a needless pre-record.

Great to see Jordan given a permanent fixture across the weekend.

They obviously want to keep the old favourites and give a bit of variety too, but it make the weekday and weekend schedule less consistent.

It used to be a lot easier knowing all the shows were in three hour blocks, now you've got some doing two and a half hours, some shows just two, and some shows that are one hour.

I hate change though...!

2 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

Agree with your statement about getting rid of the party anthems. In addition, they could have really got rid of Radio 1 Anthems too to give Jordan and Dev three hours each. Yes, it wouldn't line up with the daytime schedule, but it's better than a needless pre-record.

What do you mean? Anthems 10-11 isn’t pre recorded? As they regularly give out mentions.

Does it say anywhere who is presenting Anthems and Party Anthems? 

I presume Jordan at the weekend. I wonder if Dev is presenting on a Friday as a big “Build Up” to the Official Chart With Scott Mills? Would make more sense then Scott presenting it (although Scott is really good on Party Anthems) I think. I wish they had left it at 6 though, makes more sense as start of the weekend kind of thing. 

Thank you for the grid, the best parts at a quick first glance:

1. No one gets axed. Scott is still on Mon-Fri.
  2. Earlier Jack & Annie.
  3. Jordan getting his well deserved 3 shows a week.

The worst changes:

1. Weird and inconsistent timings and show lengths.

• It will be really hard for a casual listener to remember who's on when. Should've gone with 6-9-12-15h instead (possibly with the lunchtime newsbeat at 11:45).
  • Random anthem shows everywhere (especially the party anthem hour at 3).
  • Weekend evening shows inconsistently still start at 7pm instead of 6.

2. Arielle losing weekend shows. Maybe weekend early breakfast wasn't successful enough as a slot, but at least they could let her have Fri 6-7.

3. Friday. Is. Still. Not. The. Weekend.

Agree about the Friday it’s not the weekend. I think t was introduced as a mix of the likes of Dev and Matt wanting more slots but no vacancies on weekdays and also to cut down the amount of times presenters were away on cross promotion stuff on other stations/tv e.g. Friday night is music night and Greg’s been on other stations with his Chris Smith work. The 7am I reckon is to do with the increase in home working so less commuting. Adele being on for 3 hours is probably because it’ll me a quite busy music slot where as daytime will probably have more features or I hope especially with Scott and Drive (Grimmy’s time must be up soon)

These changes are so confusing and inconsistent. The time slot differences between Friday and the normal weekend are especially weird... and Party Anthems at 3pm? I'm glad it hasn't been binned, but 3pm is hardly the time for partying when most people are stuck in work!

7 hours ago, THIS IS THE BBC said:

schedule-min (2).png

@THIS IS THE BBC Could you share the original spreadsheet of this?

I’ll be honest, don’t rate Arielle - but I’m never awake for weekend early breakfast, so didn’t bother me. But I think she’ll clearly be the weekend cover for Dev/Jordan now.

It’s a shame about the inconsistency, would be nice to at least have weekdays vs weekends in line. I wonder if Anthems will see Matt & Mollie do the first set and then Jordan from 10:30 (just to mirror the week day show times?)

Very happy Jordan has 3 shows a week, overdue!

16 hours ago, Ash101 said:

What do you mean? Anthems 10-11 isn’t pre recorded? As they regularly give out mentions.

I just don't see the need for the for the 10am-11am anthems slot or the party anthems 3pm-4pm on a Friday. It feels like a complete waste of four hours of radio, and as I have said, Jordan and Dev could have easily been given three hour slots each across their days instead of this.

4 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

I just don't see the need for the for the 10am-11am anthems slot or the party anthems 3pm-4pm on a Friday. It feels like a complete waste of four hours of radio, and as I have said, Jordan and Dev could have easily been given three hour slots each across their days instead of this.

I agree I don’t really like Anthems anymore, feels unnecessary. They could just slip a couple of classic turns into the playlist throughout the day. Or make some classic mixes available on BBC Sounds.

I always thought Party Anthems was good 6-7 as it kind of symbolised end of the working week and start of the weekend. Bit pointless 3-4. If they wanted to bring Annie Mac forward I would of done Official Chart 3-5 and Party Anthems 5-5:45. 

1 hour ago, BBCR1_James said:

I agree I don’t really like Anthems anymore, feels unnecessary. They could just slip a couple of classic turns into the playlist throughout the day. Or make some classic mixes available on BBC Sounds.

I always thought Party Anthems was good 6-7 as it kind of symbolised end of the working week and start of the weekend. Bit pointless 3-4. If they wanted to bring Annie Mac forward I would of done Official Chart 3-5 and Party Anthems 5-5:45. 

I don't understand why they have kept Party Anthems, as Annie could include some of those commercial tunes in her first hour 

2 hours ago, BBCR1_James said:

I would hope the ‘Anthems’ or classic tracks they play during these three hours are proper classic tracks. My local radio station has a show of a similar theme and, today, played Ed Sheeran’s ‘Castle on the Hill’, while labelling it a throwback. It is THREE (3) years old...

Mixed feelings for the schedule mix up.

Good points for me:

No one has been axed

Alternative shows beginning at 6pm is a throwback.

Jordan at long last gets 3 shows

Low Points:

Schedule does look a bit messy 

Party Anthems at 3pm on a Friday Why? I would have preferred a Chart Retro with Scott between 3-4 or just make the chart 3 hours.

Also i agree with most on here Anthems 10-11 needs to go. Just throw some older tracks into the playlist. 

• 2 weeks later...