Unofficial Mills

Maya Jama to leave Radio 1

TJ8

On the 3.30 Newsbeat today it was announced that she is leaving Radio 1. What are people's thoughts on this?

I'm hoping that Jordan will be able to takeover her Friday & Saturday shows for when the schedule returns to normal... it seems the most obvious option to me.

I think that intill it get back to normal, Jordan and Dev  And  Alice are just going to switch around. With Jordan picking the exart shows on Friday and Saturday, when it all gets back to normal. 

Long Term who knows what going to happen. We will all just have to wait and see.  

Just thinking, something weird about the way it's been announced. The timing and the wording and the way it's all being done on social media. Not suggesting it means anything, it just feels different to the way these things have been announced in the past. 

Twitter replies seem to be about ⅔ people gutted she's going and ⅓ hoping Jordan's gonna get her shows.

I'm actually a bit gutted she's leaving. She's improved massively in the last 2-2.5 years she's been on Radio 1. Whilst still not perfect, she appealed to a certain group of listeners and brought them to Radio 1, the BBC Sounds statistics prove just that!

As much as I like Jordan, I don't think he's quite ready for Drive full time just yet. I think give him Friday-Sunday on a permanent basis for a while to get him into the routine of constantly doing 3 shows a week, then a potential switch for Jordan and Grimmy in the future. Although I get the feeling Grimmy might leave rather than go to weekends. If night times were offered again though ?‍♂️

I’ve been listening to Radio One for years (definitely not their target demographic anymore) but I can honestly say that she was the worst presenter they’ve ever hired.

She had nothing interesting to say, poor music knowledge and never really gelled with the other presenters. Do you remember when they shoe horned her into Scott and Chris’s Friday show? It was a complete disaster and really showed the divide between presenters at the top of their game and a poor amateur. 
Plus, she’s the only person to ever block me on Twitter. I called her out for making yet another mistake with pronunciation and she replied with a barrage of personal abuse.

On the other hand Jordan is fab!

Maya Jama leaving Radio 1? I never thought I'd see the day!

In all fairness, this has all come about sooner than I thought - especially since she was doing well on BBC Sounds. I wasn't expecting to see this at least for another year or two - six months at the earliest. Having said that, even though she was popular with quite a few listeners, I wasn't a fan of her presenting style. There were certain things that used to grate on my nerves as both a listener and radio geek over the two years - least of all the attempt to be funny or throw in a goofy remark every third sentence, in every link.

But that was then, and looking ahead, I think Jordan North should get the remaining slots since he got so badly sidelined in 2018. Grimmy's not a bad shout, and Vick Hope was rumored to join R1 at some point - maybe now's the time.

But whatever happens, I'm looking forward to finally having Radio 1 back on all weekend, every weekend.

1 hour ago, IsaacM said:

On a slightly lighter note, I wonder what her best bits at the station were? ??

Submissive back hole surely? ??

Anyway, on another note, I could see them possibly continuing this schedule until around September time and then have a large change around of people that might be announced around July time. September would also mark the year of Weekend Early Breakfast and if they haven’t found that to be a success, then they’d have to find something else for Arielle to do, so maybe she could take over Maya? 

To be honest, with greatest respect she's been and gone without me taking any notice. Maybe I don't listen to R1 as much as I did 10 to 15 years back, but she's hardly gonna be on the throwback shows for the 60th anniversary in a few years really. 

on the grid.