Unofficial Mills

2020 Predictions

Dan18F1

So with 2019 now coming to the end, what do we all think will happen to the schedule next year? 

This year was a reasonably quiet year with only Rickie, Melvin and Charlie and Arielle starting new shows. However, there doesn’t seem to be any new cover presenters to take new shows next year at the moment, so I’m guessing next year might just be shuffling around of shows. 

I think Grimmy will swap with Jordan and Maya will leave so Grimmy takes all three weekend slots around the middle of next year. 

I also wonder whether Clara might leave or be replaced by Adele or Arielle next year. It would also be nice to hear Katie cover that slot sometimes too. 

Finally although I don’t want this to happen, I feel as though Scott’s time on afternoons might come to an end. I feel like there could be a whole list of replacements though. 

The weekends sound very good to me at the moment, so id try not to change them around too much if possible and I think the evenings are fine too. 

What are you all predicting? 

I think there won’t be any big changes in 2020. I have a feeling we will see RMC do a lot more covering in the day time. 

I am excited to see what “big” plans Greg James has for his show like the escape room and hide+seek. 

hopefully Scott and Chris keep their slot and also the 5live show.  

Can see RMC splitting up. Maybe in 2021 though.. Feel like Charlie has been doing extra bits whereas the boys have just done that.

Would love to see Dev and Alice on drive- they’ve been there collectively over 10 years! About time they got a big daytime show.

See Scott and Chris leaving- they’ll probably go separate ways soon after doing 5live show for another year or so.. 
Can see Adele and Grimmy go. Adele will probably go into podcasting. Nick will probably go to somewhere like Heart or Kiss.

Could see Matt leaving as well leaving Mollie to host show on her own. If not Jordan should host. Better banter between Jordan and Mollie imo- always helps in radio duos. Can’t stand fake ones *cough cough Matt and Mollie cough* 

I would really miss Scott & Chris in the afternoons - best show on R1 imo. RMC are shocking, no idea where they appeared from, but better suited to local radio. I love Adele on early mornings, I think she genuinely loves her slot and her 'early morning crew'. I don't know much about Greg's show, as I listen to Chris Moyles after Adele. I would like to hear more of Jordan - he's probably one of the best DJs they have other than Scott. Maybe Jordan on drivetime? They need to look at their playlist though, far too much MOBO & US music - I thought that was what 1 Extra was there for. I'd love to hear more UK talent on our national radio station.

I think this will most likely be a year of transition and change for Radio 1.  We’ll hopefully see innovation in terms of distribution on demand, reaching the target audience in the ways they consume content.  I think we’ll almost certainly see some schedule changes to the linear station, Breakfast will stay another year easily, there needs to be a weekend shuffle, with some fresh talent coming through, and some tired talent either moving to weekdays, or going.  Weekdays, Clara could stay another year, but the show certainly sounds very tired and there are people that could step up.  RMC almost certainly need a promotion.  Scott and Chris, I’m very doubtful they’ll continue, it’s time to move on, they both have many prospects and the station needs to evolve.  Nick could easily shift from Drive as Clara could from Mids, but we’ve been wrong about that before.  It’s either going to be a year of big change, which I think is needed to keep the brand and the station fresh, or a year of stasis and slowly declining audiences.  Ben Cooper goes in the new year, so that leads a path for fresh management.  Time will tell.

21 hours ago, Audio_Nerd said:

I think this will most likely be a year of transition and change for Radio 1.  We’ll hopefully see innovation in terms of distribution on demand, reaching the target audience in the ways they consume content.  I think we’ll almost certainly see some schedule changes to the linear station, Breakfast will stay another year easily, there needs to be a weekend shuffle, with some fresh talent coming through, and some tired talent either moving to weekdays, or going.  Weekdays, Clara could stay another year, but the show certainly sounds very tired and there are people that could step up.  RMC almost certainly need a promotion.  Scott and Chris, I’m very doubtful they’ll continue, it’s time to move on, they both have many prospects and the station needs to evolve.  Nick could easily shift from Drive as Clara could from Mids, but we’ve been wrong about that before.  It’s either going to be a year of big change, which I think is needed to keep the brand and the station fresh, or a year of stasis and slowly declining audiences.  Ben Cooper goes in the new year, so that leads a path for fresh management.  Time will tell.

I think the new Controller POP will want to make her mark on the schedule specially as she has Control of 2 and 6 music as well, meaning she can influence and shuffle the pack 

Adele - 4 years in slot, maybe time for someone new and shift her to weekends? replace Maya or D&A with her 

Greg - safe pair of hands on breakfast, will last longer on breakfast plus it will be sport relief this year again, so what's he gonna do this time?? could be a massive year for him

Clara - 5 years in slot - time to move on tired although she clearly reads forums etc as she made a comment Thursday "we're continuing next year despite sceptics" or something on her last show of the year if she went, either Annies slot or 6 music could be a good home for her 

Scott/Chris - almost 8 years in slot (April will be 8 ) I think they will stay and make it 8 then that will be that, maybe a mega last show, maybe a marathon show? maybe a week devoted to Mills from 1998 to today on R1, although I think it will only be the end of lunchtimes, he'll stay as Chart host replaced potentially by Dev and Alice? can't see Jordan getting it as he is lined up for drive clearly 

Grimmy - I think another year of him on drive at least unless Scott goes and they move him to lunchtimes and he's just been a caretaker between Greg and Jordan 

Annie - safe as houses 

RMC - going nowhere, apart from Breakfast after Greg 

Jack - safe as houses 

M&M - safe for another year I would say pretty new show still 

Maya - get RID and Give Adele her shows 

Jordan - destined for peak weekday slot just biding time 0

Dev and Alice - replace Scott or RMC?? 

MistaJam - safe as houses with his Dance Anthems show 

Kel and Katie - not sure here, I thought Katie had other commitments but she seems to have done alot of R1 recently so maybe shes getting a bigger show

Very interesting comments especially the last one. Had know idea Ben Cooper was stepping down. This makes me think there will be changes but not immediately. 

The likes of Clara, Matt and maybe Mills will depart?

Mollie King to replace Clara

One of the new talents we are hearing over the festive period to take Weekend Breakfast 

Jordan takes Weekday Lunchtimes Mills remaining Chart Show host.

11 hours ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Very interesting comments especially the last one. Had know idea Ben Cooper was stepping down. This makes me think there will be changes but not immediately. 

The likes of Clara, Matt and maybe Mills will depart?

Mollie King to replace Clara

One of the new talents we are hearing over the festive period to take Weekend Breakfast 

Jordan takes Weekday Lunchtimes Mills remaining Chart Show host.

Mollie on Mids would be dreadful. I really don’t think it’ll happen. She’s not got the right style to do it, she sort of talks in sound bites a lot when on her own a bit like Maya, and just doesn’t come across as authentic.

10 hours ago, Audio_Nerd said:

Mollie on Mids would be dreadful. I really don’t think it’ll happen. She’s not got the right style to do it, she sort of talks in sound bites a lot when on her own a bit like Maya, and just doesn’t come across as authentic.

Mollie would be dreadful on her own.  they only trust her to present 1/2 hour a week-shows how much faith they have in her. 

54 minutes ago, anothernerd2 said:

Mollie would be dreadful on her own.  they only trust her to present 1/2 hour a week-shows how much faith they have in her. 

She has done a weekday breakfast solo IIRC but the next time Matt was off Jordan was with her 

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, ImMaxClaydon said:

What do we all think about this now?

I don't think much will change for any of the days time slots, the current schedule and line pretty much fixed now till at least till they go back to the normal schedule.

I think any of the big stunts which had been planed have all now been cancelled. I don't think there will be a hide and seek this year, or any other big stunts like that. 

On 5/2/2020 at 2:12 PM, georgeh said:

I don't think much will change for any of the days time slots, the current schedule and line pretty much fixed now till at least till they go back to the normal schedule.

I think any of the big stunts which had been planed have all now been cancelled. I don't think there will be a hide and seek this year, or any other big stunts like that. 

Such a shame as Hide and Seek is always a highlight for me, it is good however they squeezed Who's Got Greg in before this all kicked off, which I did enjoy.

6 hours ago, ImMaxClaydon said:

Such a shame as Hide and Seek is always a highlight for me, it is good however they squeezed Who's Got Greg in before this all kicked off, which I did enjoy.

They did get lucky, with who got Greg, which I was a big fan of.  

Hide and seek is always a good time which I always enjoy and I think many will sorely miss. I hope the production team at radio  1 will come up with another idea to replace it.   

2 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

They might be able to do Hide and Seek towards the end of the year, possibly October half term, because they seem to like to do it during holiday time? 

Chris and Jacob  who worked on who got Greg. Had webimair a couple of weeks ago and they explained that  they use school  hoilday as it means school  aged listeners  can follow along all day.  

October would work, give plenty time to plan something  good. But we will have to wait and see what happens. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 8:40 PM, georgeh said:

Chris and Jacob  who worked on who got Greg. Had webimair a couple of weeks ago and they explained that  they use school  hoilday as it means school  aged listeners  can follow along all day.  

October would work, give plenty time to plan something  good. But we will have to wait and see what happens. 

Is there a link to this? Was it online or just private, if so how do you know about it?

12 minutes ago, ImMaxClaydon said:

Is there a link to this? Was it online or just private, if so how do you know about it?

It was done as part of the student radio association annual confesses, which this year went on line. They hosted on Facebook live,  which can be found at this link.  

https://www.facebook.com/studentradio/videos/675297656597698/

I think it was the first item, not sue how far into the video the bit is.