Jump to content
  • New on Unofficial Mills


Sign in to follow this  
anothernerd

What Radio 1 Presenters do we miss?

Recommended Posts

Random thought I had: what one presenter (I’ll count sidekicks or anyone who was on air too) 

For me it would be Chris Smith with the news. I got into Greg’s drive time Show in the last 18 months of it really......… But I remember how magic Chris Smith was on air with Greg! They were like brothers on air. I’ll always treasure that show. For me Greg with out Chris. It feels empty without him 😢 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd second that - Greg and Chris were something special, it was a real shame they wouldn't let him move to breakfast.

In terms of other presenters, in the ten years I've been listening, not many I've liked have left! Kinda miss Zane, but more for the handofers with Greg than the show himself. And Moyles' R1 breakfast team obviously, although it had run its course when it ended.

Really brings home how few people have left recently - Greg, Dev, Grimmy, Scott, Annie, Matt (almost) all in the 10+ years club. 

Now presenters I DON'T miss... that would be a fun thread. Gemma Cairney, Jameela Jamil, Dan and Phil...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Miss Coxy actually, I listened to a few CM Breakfast shows from 2010 the other day where she covered, and she was really quite good and had honed her act then, just too late for the breakfast bus 

She worked well with Comedy Dave and the team 

I miss Moyles and Dave 

I loved Greg and Chris Smith - can anyone remember if Scott had as good banter with Chris Smith in the evenings when he was on drive? he used to with Tulip a bit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lee E said:

I Miss Coxy actually, I listened to a few CM Breakfast shows from 2010 the other day where she covered, and she was really quite good and had honed her act then, just too late for the breakfast bus 

She worked well with Comedy Dave and the team 

I miss Moyles and Dave 

I loved Greg and Chris Smith - can anyone remember if Scott had as good banter with Chris Smith in the evenings when he was on drive? he used to with Tulip a bit 

I think Scott had a bit with Chris - mostly around the 18:30 entertainment news if I recall. But he was always more Greg's "sidekick", Scott had Beccy and sometimes Chris Stark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, abertom said:

 I wish the CM show got its 10 years it deserved 

I wonder what the CM show would have looked like coming from Studio 82A in NBH and what would have happened to CM had he not been "removed" and who would have replaced him in 2014, maybe Greg would have been put in place then and Grimmy would have never polluted daytime ?? 

It's clear that the NBH Studios were in the construction stage when CM was finished (opened December 2012) so I assume 82A was made as a bigger studio with all the cameras and all so it could take the whole CM team and have them web streaming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, abertom said:

Chapters and Dave and the CM team. I wish the CM show got its 10 years it deserved 

Realistically, very few 16-24 targeted breakfast shows should get anywhere near 10 years.  Especially when they pull in the wrong audience.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Toby_Radio said:

Realistically, very few 16-24 targeted breakfast shows should get anywhere near 10 years.  Especially when they pull in the wrong audience.  

The CM audience were pulling in a strong audience and only got stick because the tabloids didn’t like him having a successful show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, abertom said:

The CM audience were pulling in a strong audience and only got stick because the tabloids didn’t like him having a successful show. 

They were huge, it was a massively successful show, and audience.  But it wasn’t pulling in the right age demographic, so radio 1 wasn’t fulfilling its public service.  Not to mention the racist and homophobic incidents whwre Moyles “slipped up”, and the fact the style of that show was so, so not right for a youth station in 2012.  Radio X, fine.  Radio 1 in 2006?  Sure.  Not 2010.  It’s a very narrow and lazy form of broadcasting that that show devolved into.  Anyone can talk a lot about not much, not many can talk a little and say a lot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, Toby_Radio said:

They were huge, it was a massively successful show, and audience.  But it wasn’t pulling in the right age demographic, so radio 1 wasn’t fulfilling its public service.  Not to mention the racist and homophobic incidents whwre Moyles “slipped up”, and the fact the style of that show was so, so not right for a youth station in 2012.  Radio X, fine.  Radio 1 in 2006?  Sure.  Not 2010.  It’s a very narrow and lazy form of broadcasting that that show devolved into.  Anyone can talk a lot about not much, not many can talk a little and say a lot.  

I think huge is a understatement, I'd say they bought some magic to the airwaves, for me he's still magic, but I kinda prefer his style on R1, kinda felt rebellious now on x hes good but I've been on a break from Radio x so havent heard him lately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, anothernerd2 said:

I think huge is a understatement, I'd say they bought some magic to the airwaves, for me he's still magic, but I kinda prefer his style on R1, kinda felt rebellious now on x hes good but I've been on a break from Radio x so havent heard him lately 

I never connected.  He always came off as egotistical and rude to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Towards the end he was very up his own arse but the audience liked this I think so he played up to it 

He doesn't seem as much like that now but at the end of the day he was out of touch with the Radio 1 audience and it needed a refresh 

You have to remember Scott is less than a month younger than Chris Moyles and he's still going strong becuase he is in touch and embraces the changes, like being moved slot, yes afternoons were a demotion from drive but it's given him a new lease of life which has led to him doing the chart - he is the only R1 presenter on all 5 weekdays, get's the most on air time of all (15hrs) that's one hour more a week than Greg is getting and hes now got two more hours on Sunday nights until Christmas on Radio 2 

Sara Cox survived at R1 two more years than Moyles as well remember that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting actually, maybe I'm just remembering wrong but at the time, although he was controversial generally, amongst Radio 1 fans Moyles was universally popular. But as time has passed since the show ended, the collective memory of it seems to have changed and it's treated like an embarrassing relic. 

For me the show was the thing that made me fall in love with radio, it was everything a breakfast show should be and I think Lee has it right when he uses the word "magic" to describe what Chris created. But Toby also has a valid point when he mentions the racist and homophobic incidents, and as a huge fan of the show I'm not really sure how to reconcile the two. What is clear though is that Chris has been on a huge journey in recent years, maybe sped up by friends like Aled and Hirsty, and it's hard to believe when you hear some of the things he's come out with recently that he's the same guy who used the word "gay" in a derogatory way and constantly perved over female guests/team members. I'd expect and hope he looks back on the way he used to be and cringes - I read his book recently and whilst fascinating, it made for some pretty uncomfortable reading in parts. I guess the show has to be looked back on, like most things, as a product of its time, and appreciate the things that made it so brilliant and compelling whilst acknowledging the aspects that were problematic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, OohErr said:

It's interesting actually, maybe I'm just remembering wrong but at the time, although he was controversial generally, amongst Radio 1 fans Moyles was universally popular. But as time has passed since the show ended, the collective memory of it seems to have changed and it's treated like an embarrassing relic. 

For me the show was the thing that made me fall in love with radio, it was everything a breakfast show should be and I think Lee has it right when he uses the word "magic" to describe what Chris created. But Toby also has a valid point when he mentions the racist and homophobic incidents, and as a huge fan of the show I'm not really sure how to reconcile the two. What is clear though is that Chris has been on a huge journey in recent years, maybe sped up by friends like Aled and Hirsty, and it's hard to believe when you hear some of the things he's come out with recently that he's the same guy who used the word "gay" in a derogatory way and constantly perved over female guests/team members. I'd expect and hope he looks back on the way he used to be and cringes - I read his book recently and whilst fascinating, it made for some pretty uncomfortable reading in parts. I guess the show has to be looked back on, like most things, as a product of its time, and appreciate the things that made it so brilliant and compelling whilst acknowledging the aspects that were problematic.

I really agree with these points I think you've nailed it 

It is what radio is all about it was a brilliant show and I was heartbroken the day Grimmy started because it had been the breakfast show of my 20s into my 30s 

Although I was kinda heartbroken in a weird way when Grimmy finished but he finished in a very different way in as much as he was moving to another daytime slot not forever 

And I was mega pleased for Greg because he is the radio nerd and deserved that slot although us die hard Mills fans will say Scott should have had it when Moyles left we always will but then that would have killed Scott off of R1 by now 

Say he'd took breakfast in 2012, then he would have lasted to 2017/8 probably? maybe moved to weekends after or off completely by swapping to 1-4 with Greg it's been his saviour and lengevity and there is no sign of him leaving yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OohErr said:

It's interesting actually, maybe I'm just remembering wrong but at the time, although he was controversial generally, amongst Radio 1 fans Moyles was universally popular. But as time has passed since the show ended, the collective memory of it seems to have changed and it's treated like an embarrassing relic. 

For me the show was the thing that made me fall in love with radio, it was everything a breakfast show should be and I think Lee has it right when he uses the word "magic" to describe what Chris created. But Toby also has a valid point when he mentions the racist and homophobic incidents, and as a huge fan of the show I'm not really sure how to reconcile the two. What is clear though is that Chris has been on a huge journey in recent years, maybe sped up by friends like Aled and Hirsty, and it's hard to believe when you hear some of the things he's come out with recently that he's the same guy who used the word "gay" in a derogatory way and constantly perved over female guests/team members. I'd expect and hope he looks back on the way he used to be and cringes - I read his book recently and whilst fascinating, it made for some pretty uncomfortable reading in parts. I guess the show has to be looked back on, like most things, as a product of its time, and appreciate the things that made it so brilliant and compelling whilst acknowledging the aspects that were problematic.

I think you’ve nailed it there.  I think an extent of the thing was an act, which I just didn’t connect with.  And it was definitely a product of its time, especially when it started, it was probably bang on, for better or worse.  I think by the end it was backwards in many senses, not very PC, but now on X he seems to have progressed.  There’s obviously something about the show that was magic, and captured so many people, what do you think it was?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Toby_Radio said:

Now on X he seems to have progressed.  

Yes he seems to be easier to listen to not so blazae and in your face, but still the old Chris in as much as the style of the show and format etc 

15 hours ago, Toby_Radio said:

 There’s obviously something about the show that was magic, and captured so many people, what do you think it was?  

I think because it felt like three of your mates having a few pints and a good chat, they were brilliant as a team and for someone listening to Radio 1 back in the day every other show was pretty music heavy as you'd expect so this show was something different from the "norm" and the epic jingles as well made it a radio geeks heaven (Greg James admits he has them at home and used to play them alot back in the day) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...