Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 breakfast with Greg James one year on

Lee E

So it's a year since Greg opened with a TMTO what do we all think one year into his tenure on breakfast? I think he's making a good job of it and has turned it round from the stale old show with Grimmy, also he has made it him and you, 1 on 1 not Tina, not Sinade not Fiona, just you and Greg, its a complete contract to what was before 

I think he is a stayer, and as a geek he will definitely want to beat Moyles' record 

Very sad that Scott is not Dep anymore though as it was always great 

Should Greg have taken over from CM in 2012? IMO NO because it was a massive institution to follow and I think biding his time has paid off 

15 hours ago, Lee E said:

So it's a year since Greg opened with a TMTO what do we all think one year into his tenure on breakfast? I think he's making a good job of it and has turned it round from the stale old show with Grimmy, also he has made it him and you, 1 on 1 not Tina, not Sinade not Fiona, just you and Greg, its a complete contract to what was before 

I think he is a stayer, and as a geek he will definitely want to beat Moyles' record 

Very sad that Scott is not Dep anymore though as it was always great 

Should Greg have taken over from CM in 2012? IMO NO because it was a massive institution to follow and I think biding his time has paid off 

I think the show is brilliant, and they’re really thinking about how to get young people engaged with great radio content, be it on socials in short form video, listening to the live output, or the shareable podcast.  There’s no way anyone will beat the Moyles record, ever.  Radio 1 needs to be a constantly evolving thing to survive in the audio landscape in some form, even looking forward 10 years.  Greg is almost a breakfast stop gap, in that he isn’t a new, fresh, Roman Kemp type host, he’s a capable, safe pair of hands while Radio 1 decides what it’s purpose is in the future, and where to get its talent.  I imagine some of this will become evident when Lorna Clark starts.

3 minutes ago, Toby_Radio said:

I think the show is brilliant, and they’re really thinking about how to get young people engaged with great radio content, be it on socials in short form video, listening to the live output, or the shareable podcast.  There’s no way anyone will beat the Moyles record, ever.  Radio 1 needs to be a constantly evolving thing to survive in the audio landscape in some form, even looking forward 10 years.  Greg is almost a breakfast stop gap, in that he isn’t a new, fresh, Roman Kemp type host, he’s a capable, safe pair of hands while Radio 1 decides what it’s purpose is in the future, and where to get its talent.  I imagine some of this will become evident when Lorna Clark starts.

I wonder what will happen to Ben Cooper?

It’s been a fantastic year for Greg and for Breakfast for the station since the Moyles era began.

This morning was fun. He got Beth, the voiceover girl on the jingles, to come on live and do some listener-requested announcers. I quickly noted her name (also short for Elizabeth) and Google’d her up. It was a bit tricky as I had to listen to a podcast about how they made the jingles last year, it didn’t include Beth. But I have found the following for Elizabeth Lishmund which I believe is her:

Website - https://www.bethlishmund.com/

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/bettylish/

It’s nice to finally put a face and name to the jingle. If I’m wrong please let me know.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:03 PM, Lee E said:

And on the first year of breakfast - here is Greg's first drive show and the end of Mills first 1-4 show when they swapped, and what song was Mills playing at the end and into Greg's show - you guessed it https://ia801209.us.archive.org/33/items/20120301/20120301.mp3

That's his 1-4 show, He didn't start Drive till April 2012. Also the jingle package in use is still the Pure Tonic Ra-Di-O ONE. Pure Jingles started when Greg moved to drive!

On 8/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, Ryan Pannell said:

It’s been a fantastic year for Greg and for Breakfast for the station since the Moyles era began.

This morning was fun. He got Beth, the voiceover girl on the jingles, to come on live and do some listener-requested announcers. I quickly noted her name (also short for Elizabeth) and Google’d her up. It was a bit tricky as I had to listen to a podcast about how they made the jingles last year, it didn’t include Beth. But I have found the following for Elizabeth Lishmund which I believe is her:

Website - https://www.bethlishmund.com/

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/bettylish/

It’s nice to finally put a face and name to the jingle. If I’m wrong please let me know.

You are most certainly correct!