Unofficial Mills

Future of Radio 1.

anothernerd

I was thinking about how Radio 1 will be in the future. The station is falling behind with  another down in RAJAR figures. Feels like with radio 1 the station keeps trying to push it itself. I feel it’s past it’s prime and peaks. I only listen to select shows now as and when I want to. Whereas before I’d have it on anytime I could! R1 in recent months feels like it’s trying to find an new audience but doesn’t know where and how to appeal to them. Feels like their best presenters are slowly being tied into a format of being solely there to do links and occasionally interview a guest or speak with a caller.

Anyway this got me thinking about the future of Radio 1. I can see why is it on a down. When they do silly stunts like Hide and Seek or the escape room it feels like it’s an giant metaphorical arrow pointing back to Radio 1. As if to say”Hey look what we do” Feel like the station needs more charm and a shakeup if they want to catch up with other stations. Drop the old presents who are past their prime. Like Nick for example. Breakfast host for 6 years had his prime feels like he’s an old toy of sort. Had all the fun now sitting there occasionally being used in a silly antic but nothing more.

I have noticed R1 have realised this presumably- trying to milk Matt and Mollie. “Young”- well by R1 standards these days.  By giving Mollie the show before theirs essentially adding more to the show. Could’ve easily sat there as a feature maybe with both. But are trying to milk it. And as for Arielle- i must say I really like her as a presenter. She’s good I’m sure she’ll nail her show. Maybe even bring listening figures up ?(doubt it- their main presenters can’t and she’s in a graveyard shift) I mean she’s got experience as a presenter doing TV Radio and Podcasts. I’m sure Heart or Capital will be putting bid in for her soon. As at R1 she’s probably been given that show so they can use her to cover shows more frequently perhaps? Who knows. 

Anyway I feel R1 is lost in terms of direction as to where it wants to be. Maybe this new ‘Pop Controller’ can push R1 in the right direction?

1 hour ago, anothernerd said:

I was thinking about how Radio 1 will be in the future. The station is falling behind with  another down in RAJAR figures. Feels like with radio 1 the station keeps trying to push it itself. I feel it’s past it’s prime and peaks. I only listen to select shows now as and when I want to. Whereas before I’d have it on anytime I could! R1 in recent months feels like it’s trying to find an new audience but doesn’t know where and how to appeal to them. Feels like their best presenters are slowly being tied into a format of being solely there to do links and occasionally interview a guest or speak with a caller.

Anyway this got me thinking about the future of Radio 1. I can see why is it on a down. When they do silly stunts like Hide and Seek or the escape room it feels like it’s an giant metaphorical arrow pointing back to Radio 1. As if to say”Hey look what we do” Feel like the station needs more charm and a shakeup if they want to catch up with other stations. Drop the old presents who are past their prime. Like Nick for example. Breakfast host for 6 years had his prime feels like he’s an old toy of sort. Had all the fun now sitting there occasionally being used in a silly antic but nothing more.

I have noticed R1 have realised this presumably- trying to milk Matt and Mollie. “Young”- well by R1 standards these days.  By giving Mollie the show before theirs essentially adding more to the show. Could’ve easily sat there as a feature maybe with both. But are trying to milk it. And as for Arielle- i must say I really like her as a presenter. She’s good I’m sure she’ll nail her show. Maybe even bring listening figures up ?(doubt it- their main presenters can’t and she’s in a graveyard shift) I mean she’s got experience as a presenter doing TV Radio and Podcasts. I’m sure Heart or Capital will be putting bid in for her soon. As at R1 she’s probably been given that show so they can use her to cover shows more frequently perhaps? Who knows. 

Anyway I feel R1 is lost in terms of direction as to where it wants to be. Maybe this new ‘Pop Controller’ can push R1 in the right direction?

A few points here.  What I would say, is Radio 1, due to its target audience, is at the forefront of attracting a new generation of listeners, and is up against the likes of streaming services, YouTubers, podcasters, and commercial radio.  It’s a multi platform youth content brand/provider, with the live linear station as the bedrock of the output, the live moment, the petrol that fuels the engine.  I agree, if the content was made more on target, and less safe and predictable, then they would be more successful with the target audience, and I’d imagine by the new year a weekday shakeup is imminent, not just a shifting around.  Especially with the new Pop Controller coming in.  Otherwise, 30 something white blokes or 40+ presenters get swapped around again and again with no change, obviously with exceptions.  If there aren’t some big changes in 2020, then there’s a serious magagerial problem.  My second point, one thing to remember is Radio 1 doesn’t live or die by RAJAR, and a decline in audience could be nearly older listeners deserting the station, and if you aren’t 16-24, in theory, Radio 1 doesn’t care if you listen or not.  The core 3 million under 24 listeners is who they’re aiming at and broadcasting to, with 3 million weekly listeners, all 16-24, Radio 1 would be seen as succeeding.