Unofficial Mills

Greatest Hits goes 7 days a week

Jono

I guess this is this year's equivalent of a summer mix - Radio 1's Greatest Hits will air every day for an hour at 10am from Monday 8th July. 

Scott's Dance Anthems programme is becoming 'Radio 1's Party Anthems' too. 

2 hours ago, Jono said:

I guess this is this year's equivalent of a summer mix - Radio 1's Greatest Hits will air every day for an hour at 10am from Monday 8th July. 

Could be the BBC trying to compete with Kisstory and most recently Heart Dance?

9 minutes ago, anothernerd said:

Could be the BBC trying to compete with Kisstory and most recently Heart Dance?

Most likely. I actually really enjoy it, although I understand those criticisms that it's a move away from the station's remit to a certain extent.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Greatest hits still feels to me like a hangover from 2017 they just won't drop

I don't think it's a bad idea for Radio 1 to give a nod to older tracks spanning anything from about 1990 upwards. I know Radio 2 have been generally pushing the boat out to meet that criteria, but there's still certain tracks that they are scared to go near. Namely heavier rock/dance/hip hop. Besides, it can be an education in music to the yoof.

on the grid.

Though I'd prefer more new music and a longer playlist, I like this kinda shows, I'm a regular listener of Jordan's one on Sundays for months now.

My main criticism is the selection. They tend to pick the same one hit wonders again and again in every few weeks, or stick to the one or two most famous tracks of each artist and ignore the rest. It feels like having a D list, which never changes. (If have have to listen to "Teenage Dirthbag" or "Rude Boy" again with the introduction "What a banger, I haven't heard this in ages!", I'm gonna cry...)

I also have mixed feelings on the mix format (pun intended), sometimes they just play 30 seconds of each song just to sqeeze in more, I'd rather listen to fewer tracks in full.

How would I change it? First of all, if they want to have it on daily, that's fine, but half an hour would be enough, that's ~7 songs in full (like Adele's Best New Pop). Don't be afraid to pick more obscure but good songs, almost 3 decades of should be enough to fill a few months without repeat. Personally I'd play the original versions of recent hits more just for educational purposes. Maybe do some feature or game around the songs, like Matt and Jordan did with Heaven or Hell. ("Who ripped off this one? Pitbull or Flo Rida? 81199!")

A radnom idea: Recently they started to use themes, which is a step in the right direction, but they should come up with more interesing ones. When I hear "Classic RnB and indie bangers", I already know what songs I'm gonna hear and there's a 70% chance I just turn it off (see selection problems above). But what if the theme is "songs with a specific word in it", "songs about a specific topic" or "songs that don't sing their title", etc. any you can guess which song could be played next. I saw something like this on a music TV channel (WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO), and loved the idea, I'd like to hear it on radio.