Unofficial Mills

Advertising

anothernerd

I was thinking earlier whilst out and about how little R1 is adversitied compared to heart and Capital. They have signs like “Open and listening to heart” or big billboards advertising their  breakfast shows. Ages ago I did see a few bbc sounds ones but that’s the closest I’ve seen to Radio 1. Comapared to other stations no wonder R1 lays back in marketing which is fair enough but I reckon if they adverstised more they could pull in more listeners. 

What do you guys think?

You say that but they'll go hard with the Big Weekend next month across BBC TV. Also there has been a lot of money spent on social media adverts lately - I was getting an advert for every show on Facebook and Instagram for two weeks. They seem to be doing subtle stuff compared to Capital, but it's happening.

Radio 1 have loads of adverts on the screens in my student union. Bear in mind of course that Global has just bought loads of outdoor advertising companies to the extent that they're now the biggest outdoors company in the UK I believe. So it's very cheap for them to advertise their own stations.

53 minutes ago, Jono said:

You say that but they'll go hard with the Big Weekend next month across BBC TV. Also there has been a lot of money spent on social media adverts lately - I was getting an advert for every show on Facebook and Instagram for two weeks. They seem to be doing subtle stuff compared to Capital, but it's happening.

Thinking about it I might’ve seen some ads on Instagram for the live lounge. 

50 minutes ago, OohErr said:

Radio 1 have loads of adverts on the screens in my student union. Bear in mind of course that Global has just bought loads of outdoor advertising companies to the extent that they're now the biggest outdoors company in the UK I believe. So it's very cheap for them to advertise their own stations.

Interesting,  Would make sense why I see so many billboards for global stations and shows. It would be interesting to see Radio 1 do that. Like a billboard for Greg’s Show or Clara’s Show maybe as I’ve seen a big billboard for Chris Moyles on Radio x a few weeks ago by my work.

10 hours ago, OohErr said:

I wonder what would influence young people more. I'm inclined to think if you had very specific messages on social media which you're looking at while on your phone you would be more likely to listen to Radio 1 than just seeing it on a billboard... unless you're of driving age.