Unofficial Mills

Current thoughts on Radio 1 and the future

radio1geek

Hi guys, long time reader and first time poster here. 

I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on radio 1 at the moment. I have to say for me its sounding great at the moment. I've been off the last week so been able to listen much more than usual. Scott and Chris are sounding great and definitely can't see him leavings soon (even with his radio 2 cover). I do enjoy breakfast even though there is something missing, that was in Greg's afternoon show. Jordan has sounded so good on drive this week and I think its a crime he's not got a bigger show. 

I think I'm one of the few who likes the weekend schedule starting on a Friday. I think Dev and Alice are sounding awesome and have improved so much, wouldn't mind them getting a bigger show too. 

At the moment there seems to be a good feeling at radio 1 that I think come across the radio, it feels like its a big family, something I think was missing for a few years. All the djs seem to actually like working together. This also showed when Ricky, Melvin and Charlie started (who I also really like), they seemed to be welcomed into the family. 

The only criticism I do have is that Clara's show is a bit dull and nothing much really seems to happen in it apart from the live lounge. I also think that Maya is a really hard listen, she sounds very half hearted and like she just turns up. She also doesn't feel part of the radio 1 family and like she doesn't try to be and I think the other djs may feel this too (Scott and Greg played her supermassive hole muck up a few times). 

1 hour ago, radio1geek said:

Hi guys, long time reader and first time poster here. 

I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on radio 1 at the moment. I have to say for me its sounding great at the moment. I've been off the last week so been able to listen much more than usual. Scott and Chris are sounding great and definitely can't see him leavings soon (even with his radio 2 cover). I do enjoy breakfast even though there is something missing, that was in Greg's afternoon show. Jordan has sounded so good on drive this week and I think its a crime he's not got a bigger show. 

I think I'm one of the few who likes the weekend schedule starting on a Friday. I think Dev and Alice are sounding awesome and have improved so much, wouldn't mind them getting a bigger show too. 

At the moment there seems to be a good feeling at radio 1 that I think come across the radio, it feels like its a big family, something I think was missing for a few years. All the djs seem to actually like working together. This also showed when Ricky, Melvin and Charlie started (who I also really like), they seemed to be welcomed into the family. 

The only criticism I do have is that Clara's show is a bit dull and nothing much really seems to happen in it apart from the live lounge. I also think that Maya is a really hard listen, she sounds very half hearted and like she just turns up. She also doesn't feel part of the radio 1 family and like she doesn't try to be and I think the other djs may feel this too (Scott and Greg played her supermassive hole muck up a few times). 

I like most of the weekend djs expect Matt and Mollie. Dev and Alice are my favs followed by Jordon obvsiously 

I like the playlist at the moment it sounds good. 

Daytimes ok- I like the new trio Rickie Melvin and Charlie who are good as they know each other well so take the abouslate mick out of each other. Also really getting into Annie’s Show lately. I used to listen now and again but finding myself listening more frequently now- even catching up on the BBC Sounds App.  

Though I feel by the end of the year Adele’s gonna go. She’s 40 which is more Radio 2 age than Radio 1, At least one week a month she’s off or in for Clara. 

I kinda feel Greg might struggle against Capital now it’s national as  I feel more people will tune in for music same with Heart whenever that goes national 

Oh and as for Maya Jama I’m supprised she isn’t on Kiss or Capital she’s sounds that awful and unprofessional. She’s hardly talent and Jordon by now should be on that show for all 3 days .

I kinda feel like it’s time for a shakeup at weekends if I was to guess..

6AM-10AM Dev and Alice

10AM-1PM Jordon North

1PM-4PM Arielle Free

4PM-7PM Dance anthems with Mistajam/ Life hacks with Matt and Mollie.

7PM-9PM Katie Thistleton/ Chillest Show on planet earth(Phil Taagarrt) 

9PM-11PM- 1Xtra Rap Show with Tiffany Calver/Abbie McCarthy 

11PM-1AM Diplo/Danny P Carter.

I love Scott & Chris. Adele in the mornings is just perfect for the time of day. I've listened to Greg from early breakfast through to mornings. I really dislike his morning show and that intro music drives me insane. Jordan is R1's hidden weapon - he's brilliant at any time of day, but it would be great if he took over the morning show. At weekends, Matt & Dev on their own, minus the sidekicks would be perfect. Playlist-wise, far too much rap currently - I thought that's what 1 Extra was made for.

Adele - fine - not got long left

Greg - yea the shows almost ‘polished’ and a bit samey now - still better than grimey!

clara - dull!

scotts still good but he needs a change

grimmy - better on drive but not going to be about ages

annie - great

ricky Melvin Charlie - not for me

jack Saunders - too late! Should be 9-11 and will be Annie’s future replacement - maybe even Clara’s replacement

Matt and molllie - much preferred solo Matt. I think mollie is so over rated - liked her as a guest presenter but she’s not adding much now

maya - enough said already

jordan - really good

dev and Alice - like

mista ham - fine for show

katie and Kel - not much time for either of them - but Cel is poor

I think R1 is sounding good at the moment, Adele when I have heard her is a very solid pair of hands, a bit of a shame that she has never got a weekend show but I fear that is too late now! 

Greg, I have already discussed in his own thread. 

Clara, I think is also solid if not spectacular, it would be nice if she could have a few more interesting features on it. 

Scott, I’m also enjoying although I feel as though his show also needs a bit of a freshen up, but obviously he’s still sounding great. 

Grimmy, I feel as though he’s been a revelation on drive, I never thought that I could enjoy Grimmy this much. It’s just a bit of a shame that I think that that’s the most likely slot that Jordan will take, can he take Clara’s instead and make it a personality led show? 

I don’t listen in the evenings that much but from what I have heard, Annie and Jack both sound good. I think R,M and C need some time to settle in first though. 

At the weekends, Matt and Mollie sound good, although I thought they were better on afternoons. Maya is getting better I feel but still not good enough to be presenting on R1. Jordan and Dev and Alice I feel are great and definitely deserving of the next weekday spots that arise. Katie I feel is also solid and probably deserving of a weekend slot but Cel is awful in my opinion! 

So, in summary, there are some issues with R1, (I still think they play too much music, and I wish that there were more games) but I think R1 is doing well at the moment even if the listening figures don’t quite reflect that. 

3 hours ago, MrsViterinary said:

I love Scott & Chris. Adele in the mornings is just perfect for the time of day. I've listened to Greg from early breakfast through to mornings. I really dislike his morning show and that intro music drives me insane. Jordan is R1's hidden weapon - he's brilliant at any time of day, but it would be great if he took over the morning show. At weekends, Matt & Dev on their own, minus the sidekicks would be perfect. Playlist-wise, far too much rap currently - I thought that's what 1 Extra was made for.

That’s whats on the scene at the moment. But yeah totally agree with the 1xtra point- Also am I the only one who never gets the point of the Rap show? 1xtra is all rap!!

Radio one sounds good at the moment. Do feel it needs some sort of music only slot, so maybe Clara's slot. Not no talking just make it about the music like mistajams show. Maybe a new music slot an hour a day, new stuff not on the playlist. 

Don't like Matt he is the most dull man alive. Life hacks is a very poor show. I always turn that off. 

Scott and Chris love it, great show always proper funny. Same with Gregg good solid show. Grimmy time for him to go to crapitol or something too much about him and his celebrity mates. 

Gordon north needs his own proper show.

5 hours ago, MrsViterinary said:

they play hip hop because it's in the charts and it's popular.  1Xtra is for "The remit of 1Xtra is to play the best in contemporary black music with a strong emphasis on live music and supporting new UK artists. The schedule should also offer a relevant news service, regular discussion programmes and specially commissioned documentaries relevant to the young target audience (15-24 year olds), particularly - although not exclusively - those from ethnic minorities." not exclusively hip hop, but it does play it a lot because that fits it's remit.  It currently fits Radio 1's remit to do so because it's targeting 16-24s, and during the day plays new music and stuff in the charts, all designed to appeal to that demographic.  Radio 1 is the mainstream youth station, and currently, hip hop, grime and rap are very on target, and enjoyed by much of the demo, so they play it.  They'd be mad to not play it a lot, like when Radio 1 ignored a load of dance trends in the 80s.

1 hour ago, Mshtel86 said:

Radio one sounds good at the moment. Do feel it needs some sort of music only slot, so maybe Clara's slot. Not no talking just make it about the music like mistajams show. Maybe a new music slot an hour a day, new stuff not on the playlist. 

Don't like Matt he is the most dull man alive. Life hacks is a very poor show. I always turn that off. 

Scott and Chris love it, great show always proper funny. Same with Gregg good solid show. Grimmy time for him to go to crapitol or something too much about him and his celebrity mates. 

Gordon north needs his own proper show.

Annie Mac 7-9pm weekdays for new music.  People always make digs on here about Capital and the like.  Maybe some don't like the music (a lot of the target demo do), maybe you don't like the high rotation (it works for their aim), maybe you don't like the quick links or style (up to you), but none of that means it isn't a very high quality product, incredibly slick, and employs very very talented people, talented in a fast paced, less obvious way than the likes of Radio 1 DJs.  It's not massively my cup of tea, but it's very good at what it does.  

4 hours ago, Enmsiecat said:

I thought I was alone in thinking how dreadful Clara and Maya are. So formulaic and have nothing original to say. Jordan North is great and I love Greg’s breakfast show. Obviously Scott and Chris are still the greatest!

I don't have a problem with the formulaic format, although it does make dull listening.  But the presentation and content from those two is dire compared to other shows, it's not just a lack of content, that could sound slick, it's how weak on the desk and not slick both of them are.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:52 AM, Mike123 said:

they play hip hop because it's in the charts and it's popular. 1Xtra is for "The remit of 1Xtra is to play the best in contemporary black music with a strong emphasis on live music and supporting new UK artists. The schedule should also offer a relevant news service, regular discussion programmes and specially commissioned documentaries relevant to the young target audience (15-24 year olds), particularly - although not exclusively - those from ethnic minorities." not exclusively hip hop, but it does play it a lot because that fits it's remit. It currently fits Radio 1's remit to do so because it's targeting 16-24s, and during the day plays new music and stuff in the charts, all designed to appeal to that demographic. Radio 1 is the mainstream youth station, and currently, hip hop, grime and rap are very on target, and enjoyed by much of the demo, so they play it. They'd be mad to not play it a lot, like when Radio 1 ignored a load of dance trends in the 80s.

I agree that popular stuff should be on the playlist, but R1 should at least try forming the trends instead of just following them, especially with the nighttime shows. It feels like to me they don't utilize 1xtra as they should: playing the same stuff on two stations at once is pointless, so are regular takeovers. R1 should have more experimental, interesting songs with chart hits (like that country-trap weirdness which skyrocketed in popularity last week, whatever I think of it, it's different, distinct, interesting) while 1xtra could stick to the most popular genres (including those same-beat-same-mumbling-lyrics tracks which still have their audience). And it needs regular cross promotion as well: "Wanna get more of the trend? Head over to 1xtra." (these existed at some point) / "Bored of the same style? R1 is for you."

As I take a look at the current playlists, this is not that far as it might feel like, especially since the 8th (daily takeover, wtf) is out of the picture.

2 minutes ago, vorti said:

I agree that popular stuff should be on the playlist, but R1 should at least try forming the trends instead of just following them, especially with the nighttime shows. It feels like to me they don't utilize 1xtra as they should: playing the same stuff on two stations at once is pointless, so are regular takeovers. R1 should have more experimental, interesting songs with chart hits (like that country-trap weirdness which skyrocketed in popularity last week, whatever I think of it, it's different, distinct, interesting) while 1xtra could stick to the most popular genres (including those same-beat-same-mumbling-lyrics tracks which still have their audience). And it needs regular cross promotion as well: "Wanna get more of the trend? Head over to 1xtra." (these existed at some point) / "Bored of the same style? R1 is for you."

As I take a look at the current playlists, this is not that far as it might feel like, especially since the 8th (daily takeover, wtf) is out of the picture.

that's a really good point.

12 hours ago, vorti said:

Am I suprised at how much hip hop Rickie And Melvin play Charlie plays dance and house.

Radio 1’s playslist is very similar to 1xtras I imange 

Also a random thought why does 1xtra need a rap show? It’s mainly rap and grime anyway- They could easily have sessions with Dotty or Mistajam couldn’t they?