Unofficial Mills

2019 predictions...

Fourcandles

Here we go, 2018 seemed to be a big year for R1 schedule, so time to make some predictions for next year (though probably not as many changes as this year)

Personally, I think Clara's time will be up on mid morning, maybe a swap with Adele so Clara on earlies and Adele on mid morning? Or possibly Jordon takes mid morning?

I also think that (sadly) Scott might leave his afternoon show (but stay on the chart) and do cover for R1/R2. He'd be replaced on afternoons by probably Alice (with or without Dev), or failing that Matt and Mollie.

Finally, less likely but Grimmy may be vuneruble towards the end of the year, maybe going to an evening slot or something? That might be more like 2020 though.

Think everyone else is pretty safe in their slots, I'm keen on the overall lineup atm

What does everyone else think?

In 2019 i reckon Grimmy will be gone. With Clara on that show. Adele taking on the mid morning slot  Arielle or Jordan on early breakfast. Maybe Katie taking over greatest hits 

Scott’s safe I think.

Greg’s Happy on Breakfast so they won’t move him any time soon considering Grimmy did 6 Chris Moyles. did 8 1/2. So I reckon Greg will do 7 years. Taking us up to 2025

• 2 weeks later...

I can see Grimmy going - it seems like the swap was to see him until the end of his contract 

Jordan - I can see a commercial rival (X or Cap) offering him a deal he cant refuse maybe 

Clara - weekends I would say, Adele maybe taking over weekday drive or moving on completely 

Greg will be on breakfast for some years - 5 at least but if I were a betting man he will attempt to do the record set by CM - even if it's a day over, also I think this year he will do something big for comic relief, maybe a 54hr show? 

Matt and Mollie stay where they are but become the main breakfast cover

Mills stays but starts to do cover for R2, and someone covers his show when he does, so his name is above door still but he is away alot more 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2019 feels like the year Scott will call it a day.  

Greg on Breakfast seems like a transitionary thing for a few years, while the station regenerates, and gets loads of younger talent on, and brings in an exciting new breakfast show.  Clara, Scott and Grimmy can’t last long in their current slots at least, 2019 has to be the last year of Radio 1 as we know it, before another big overhaul. 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:37 PM, murste said:

I think she'd be great on the 10am show if Clara or Maya leave.

That feels like what it’s gearing towards, she’d be a lot more on target with younger listeners than Clara.  Let’s just hope they don’t shoehorn Maya onto that slot.  

20 hours ago, Mike123 said:

2019 feels like the year Scott will call it a day.  

Greg on Breakfast seems like a transitionary thing for a few years, while the station regenerates, and gets loads of younger talent on, and brings in an exciting new breakfast show.  Clara, Scott and Grimmy can’t last long in their current slots at least, 2019 has to be the last year of Radio 1 as we know it, before another big overhaul. 

I always feel that Greg was always going to get Breakfast, although what was interesting in a youtube interview for Next Radio with Scott in 2012 just after Grimmy had taken over breakfast I am sure he is asked if he was dissapointed, and he talks about he knew it wasn't him also saying that him taking over from CM would be like for like, as they are the same age, he also hints about "the previous host not moving on" it's a good watch, if there are any others like this could anyone share? I would love to see the one he did last year with Chris at a convention or awards 

Anyway I digress, I say Scott should have been the transitional man after CM but before Greg but history has been made now 

I feel your right, 2019 will be the last year of the current line up, let's face it Greg and Scott have been part of daytime for the last 10 years and Scott 20, and Grimmy nearly 7 now, and Clara and Adele about 4/5 years each ? another key indicator is that Scott is the longest in his slow on Daytime now - although hasn't Annie Mac been in hers just as long? 

Another one who gets short changed is Dev I feel, although on the other hand MistaJam has been around yonks and only recently taken over 1X drive, I wonder if the new Kiss lot coming onto nights is to get them in as a transition and they then take drive off Grimmy or even 1Xtra breakfast off Dotty, where they would be more at home 

I can't see any more shuffles this year though, although we may see Scott start to cover R2 a bit as Sara is not going to be Zoe's cover, so I wonder who is? will it be Scott I wonder or will they use Mark Goodier or Trevor Nelson maybe - the right slot for Scott would be either Ken Bruces show or Steve Wright and again with R2 having made major changes recently are they going to again with their daytime middle of the day anchors - i doubt it and Steve and Ken have a massive following 

Will Vine leave? maybe but that's not a music show 

I can see Scott keeping the chart though for a few years 

10 minutes ago, Lee E said:

I always feel that Greg was always going to get Breakfast, although what was interesting in a youtube interview for Next Radio with Scott in 2012 just after Grimmy had taken over breakfast I am sure he is asked if he was dissapointed, and he talks about he knew it wasn't him also saying that him taking over from CM would be like for like, as they are the same age, he also hints about "the previous host not moving on" it's a good watch, if there are any others like this could anyone share? I would love to see the one he did last year with Chris at a convention or awards 

Anyway I digress, I say Scott should have been the transitional man after CM but before Greg but history has been made now 

I feel your right, 2019 will be the last year of the current line up, let's face it Greg and Scott have been part of daytime for the last 10 years and Scott 20, and Grimmy nearly 7 now, and Clara and Adele about 4/5 years each ? another key indicator is that Scott is the longest in his slow on Daytime now - although hasn't Annie Mac been in hers just as long? 

Another one who gets short changed is Dev I feel, although on the other hand MistaJam has been around yonks and only recently taken over 1X drive, I wonder if the new Kiss lot coming onto nights is to get them in as a transition and they then take drive off Grimmy or even 1Xtra breakfast off Dotty, where they would be more at home 

I can't see any more shuffles this year though, although we may see Scott start to cover R2 a bit as Sara is not going to be Zoe's cover, so I wonder who is? will it be Scott I wonder or will they use Mark Goodier or Trevor Nelson maybe - the right slot for Scott would be either Ken Bruces show or Steve Wright and again with R2 having made major changes recently are they going to again with their daytime middle of the day anchors - i doubt it and Steve and Ken have a massive following 

Annie Mac only took over Monday - Thursday in 2015, she’s got a good while to go yet, I’m sure.

Pretty sure Sara Cox confirmed on her Twitter that she was still going to be breakfast cover for Zoe as well.

I would hazard a guess at the next person getting drive will be Jordan, the Kiss FM people themselves are surely too old to be taking over a daytime slot with Rickie and Melvin both 38.

2 hours ago, 1_tw said:

Annie Mac only took over Monday - Thursday in 2015, she’s got a good while to go yet, I’m sure.

Pretty sure Sara Cox confirmed on her Twitter that she was still going to be breakfast cover for Zoe as well.

I would hazard a guess at the next person getting drive will be Jordan, the Kiss FM people themselves are surely too old to be taking over a daytime slot with Rickie and Melvin both 38.

You could argue that Ricky Charlie and Melvin are very young in terms of their appeal and relevancy, more so than people like Greg, as they have a quite credible “cool” imagine.  But it’d be very surprised if a trio including someone who’s nearly 40 took over drivetime, if that happened it might highlight a bigger problem at the station.  Where are the new Greg and Grimmy of today?  The young upstarts who take on Breakfast and drive.  Jordan?  Nearly 30, doubtful he’ll ever do more than a few years on drive, massively underused, and should’ve got a bigger gig yonks ago.  Looking at presenter ages now, and listening (as a teenager) a LOT of what I hear seems to be slipping a bit too old.  I have no idea why they got Mollie on, she’s 30, and no teenager I’ve ever met would be a fan of/or even heard of her.  When you look at the ages, and hear the content, it’s slowly (very slowly, but getting faster) becoming like the early 90s, it’s going to need a proper cull at this point, with a clear out and lots of younger talent to bring in.  Unless they do something a bit less drastic very very soon.  That’s how I feel listening anyway, it’s still the best radio station in the world, but it’s becoming a bit older in appeal, it’s needs to regenerate again.  I’m not saying having older listeners is bad, I think anyone who likes it should listen, but I’m more concerned about it not appealing to the target demographic, who is the only people they should have in mind when creating content, if others enjoy then brilliant, but they aren’t who it’s being aimed at.  Ironically Scott actually sounds the youngest to me out of daytimes, and completely bang on target, compared to the likes of Clara or Greg.

by the way, I’m brand new to posting here, but I’ve been reading for a couple of years, and it’s absolutely brilliant to be speaking to others who care out these dicusssions as much as me 

2 hours ago, Lee E said:

Really really good points.  Yeah, the chart is secure Scott if he wants to stay on it for a few years I’m sure.  A bit like Mark Goodier all those years ago.

I understand that they're not going to get rid of Maya so soon after hiring her (even though she sounds very unprofessional, with seemingly no preparation for her shows at all, literally sounds like she rocks up at 5 to 10 and starts talking into the microphone aimlessly), but I definitely think they should take her off either Fridays or Saturdays and give that show to Arielle Free. That way it gives her more experience and sets things up nicely for both Jordan and Arielle to take more prominent slots on the next major schedule change (personally I can see that happening towards the end of 2020/start of 2021, and I think that's when we'll see the departure of Grimshaw).

1 hour ago, Marcus17 said:

I understand that they're not going to get rid of Maya so soon after hiring her (even though she sounds very unprofessional, with seemingly no preparation for her shows at all, literally sounds like she rocks up at 5 to 10 and starts talking into the microphone aimlessly), but I definitely think they should take her off either Fridays or Saturdays and give that show to Arielle Free. That way it gives her more experience and sets things up nicely for both Jordan and Arielle to take more prominent slots on the next major schedule change (personally I can see that happening towards the end of 2020/start of 2021, and I think that's when we'll see the departure of Grimshaw).

Arielle is already in her 30s, although maybe she could take on a weekend slot.  

1 hour ago, Marcus17 said:

Well Sloth did 1 Year on nighttime and left. But he had been doing bits and bobs B4 that.

When did Maya join. Oh yeah I forgot she had that awkward show with Scott and Chris last March I think I’ll check the podcasts here. I’m sure it was tilted ‘She’s Like a Walking Stag Do’ Have to admit back then I thought she was ok for a rookie. But she’s been there nearly a year. Every Day is like Day 1 *rolls eyes*  

Why is Grimmy still at R1 forget Scott going to heart this year Nick should take over heart breakfast as he’s too old for Capital 

1 hour ago, anothernerd said:

Well Sloth did 1 Year on nighttime and left. But he had been doing bits and bobs B4 that.

When did Maya join. Oh yeah I forgot she had that awkward show with Scott and Chris last March I think I’ll check the podcasts here. I’m sure it was tilted ‘She’s Like a Walking Stag Do’ Have to admit back then I thought she was ok for a rookie. But she’s been there nearly a year. Every Day is like Day 1 *rolls eyes*  

Why is Grimmy still at R1 forget Scott going to heart this year Nick should take over heart breakfast as he’s too old for Capital 

I'd say of Grimmy left he'd be more at home on 6 music or 1xtra, he seems to be more the type to say yes to a night time slot where as Mills would not 

2 hours ago, anothernerd said:

Sloth had a long career on 1Xtra, not so long on Radio 1.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, Lee E said:

Already i can see Ricky and Melvin doing drive or breakfast on 1xtra and Charlie either doing cover at R1 with Greatest hits on Sunday maybe.. If Jordon gets a daytime show. Just because judging by their Instagram's shes pop and dance and they come across as quite hip hop and urban sort of dj's 

If Jeremy Vine goes it's for telly as he does a show on Channel 5 now.

I could see Scott covering for Steve Wright. He'd be good in the format. 

If Scott goes off the chart i could see Matt and Mollie presenting or maybe this could be Jordon's big break he deserves.  a few monthes ago when covering for Matt and Mollie. His description  said 'Jordon North-The hardest working man in showbiz has your weekend breakfast!' Something like that.  At least hardest working DJ. He's covering Adele regularly.  Matt and Mollie. They seem like a fair choice if R1 needs younger listeners again.

52 minutes ago, anothernerd said:

If Scott goes off the chart i could see Matt and Mollie presenting or maybe this could be Jordon's big break he deserves.  a few monthes ago when covering for Matt and Mollie. His description  said 'Jordon North-The hardest working man in showbiz has your weekend breakfast!' Something like that.  At least hardest working DJ. He's covering Adele regularly.  Matt and Mollie. They seem like a fair choice if R1 needs younger listeners again.

He really is. Was thinking before how many shows he's actually covered.

Weekdays, he's covered for Adele,  Grimmy (once when he was doing breakfast and several times since he's been doing drive), Clara, Scott and Greg (several times when he was doing drive)

Weekends he's covered for Matt & Mollie (breakfast and afternoons), Maya, Dev & Alice (breakfast and afternoons) and MistaJam.

Plus all his Christmas & New Year cover over the last few years... He even covered for the cleaners one time when he got there late for his show! 

1 hour ago, anothernerd said:

If Scott goes off the chart i could see Matt and Mollie presenting or maybe this could be Jordon's big break he deserves.

Never really understood the idea that the chart is a great show to be the regular host of. Yes, it's a prominent role and has heritage but equally it's such a tight format that there's not much scope for doing anything with it.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Never really understood the idea that the chart is a great show to be the regular host of. Yes, it's a prominent role and has heritage but equally it's such a tight format that there's not much scope for doing anything with it.

I agree actually to a degree.  Although it’s on at drivetime.