Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Breakfast with Greg James - First Thoughts

OohErr

From the few bits I heard it was brilliant. A top presenter, the right amount of music, good guests and silly features is what a breakfast show should be all about. Long overdue. Greg's definitely had an influence on the music played, which I'm not complaining about. Now I just need to plan my mornings so that I can catch more of it live...

Well, he can't have that much stuff going on every day. And yesterday was his first one, so obviously he wanted to go big.

The thing is, even with not many features and no guests, he'll still include the listeners and the show will be a good listen anyway. 

6 minutes ago, OohErr said:

The 8:10 slot seems to be where the weekly features go - Monday is Unpopular Opinions and Tuesday is the return of Ask the Nation! That one hasn't been on for a long time.

Hopefully Wednesday or Thursday will be What’s My Age Again! That’s one thing I really hope he brings over to Breakfast! 

Just now, Dan18F1 said:

Hopefully Wednesday or Thursday will be What’s My Age Again! That’s one thing I really hope he brings over to Breakfast! 

I'm not sure why but I have a feeling Rage will be reappearing. What's My Age Again was very much something he did with Chris Smith (apart from the last two weeks) so I reckon that one won't return.

Jono WOW what an amazing read that was. I know it's still early days. But I just feel so positive already about the station as a whole there are a few weak links but we don't need to go into that. Can not express how much of a difference I feel in myself having R1 on to start the day. I'm a diehard Moyles fan as you can probably tell from my username but I'm also a 28yr old family man with 4 children and a wife who all live pop music and find Gregory a real laugh. Just watching Greg's opening link brought a tear to my eye teaches myself and my children that dreams really do come true and if you work your backside off you really can get what you want from this life. So pleased for Greg. Feel so positive about life at the moment got a spring in my step. Sorry went off topic. LOVE you bye.

I’ll try not to waffle on here and repeat what everyone else has said, but it is without doubt yesterday’s first show was the greatest breakfast show done in years. Clean, fresh, sharp, fun, listener-focused and above all, a fantastic presenter behind that mic. Greg smashed it, this is a bloke who couldn’t! My opinion of him has rocketed in the last few years. Back in 2011 when I started listening to a Radio 1 he was on the 1 to 4 slot and I wasn’t overall keen.

On today’s second show my enjoyment continued, and I’m sure it will everyday he’s on the air. Unfortunately I didn’t get to listen to the live start yesterday at 6:33, but thank goodness for iPlayer.

I’m glad to see they’ve moved away from the zoo format. Greg doesn’t suit this and keeping him on his own is s good idea. A sidekick every so often is a good one, and yesterday Joe Lycett was actually good, even though I can’t stand him. Roisin Hastie is a good choice for Newsbeat, she’s clear and easy to understand.

I love the branding so much. Clean, fresh, imaginative.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:09 AM, Greg20 said:

It's happening. The Ten Minute Takeover!

Yes, the ambient background music used when he’s selecting a song after the countdown is quite cool too.

Grimmy had a fine run on the show but it turned sour some 3 years into his 6 year reign. Ben Cooper gave him a big task at his start, he achieved that but Radio 1 has slightly changed in 6 years. Out of Moyles, a Grimmy and Greg’s starts to their shows, they’re all different. Greg has just pissed all over Grimmy’s fire and bought back a huge chunk of listeners who deserted Grimmy in his first year. Greg is a talented bloke going places - it’s been proven on Sounds Like Friday Night on BBC1.

Loving it all.

I'm really happy for Greg, he's clearly over the moon to have this gig and that's apparent in how the show comes across to the listeners, Genuine! For the first time in ages I've actually listened back to the whole show when I got in from work as I was unable to listen. Looking forward to tomorrow that's for sure!

As others have said, the Imaging is sounding slick and fresh, and you can tell that Greg has had a major involvement in the production of it. Just hope ReelWorld Europe hurry up with that demo now!

However, there is only one thing that is really grating on me after 2 days... "Radio 1 Newsbeat, it's 6:33". Why isn't Roisin announcing the show, "It's 6:33, Now it's time for Radio 1 Breakfast with Greg James". I feel that was a bit of a low blow especially on the first show.

23 minutes ago, forde52 said:

However, there is only one thing that is really grating on me after 2 days... "Radio 1 Newsbeat, it's 6:33". Why isn't Roisin announcing the show, "It's 6:33, Now it's time for Radio 1 Breakfast with Greg James". I feel that was a bit of a low blow especially on the first show.

Maybe he figured it was unnecessary - it was really just a hangover from The Chris Moyles Show, Dom used to do it so I guess Tina picked it up from him.

The only thing slightly negative I'd say so far (and it's a micropoint, I LOVE the new show) is that I don't think the chemistry between Greg and Roisin Hastie is that great. Obviously they'll never be like Greg and Chris Smith but still, I don't think she adds much considering she's the only team member Greg's properly interacted with so far. Great newsreader, obviously, which is why she's there - but outside of that, she doesn't seem to have much to offer personality wise. Yet, at least.

Oh, and he doesn't always do accurate timechecks. That annoys me a tad. But this really is nitpicking.

10 hours ago, OohErr said:

The only thing slightly negative I'd say so far (and it's a micropoint, I LOVE the new show) is that I don't think the chemistry between Greg and Roisin Hastie is that great. Obviously they'll never be like Greg and Chris Smith but still, I don't think she adds much considering she's the only team member Greg's properly interacted with so far. Great newsreader, obviously, which is why she's there - but outside of that, she doesn't seem to have much to offer personality wise. Yet, at least.

Yes, the conversations and takeovers feel a bit forced. I wonder, whether Roisin will stay on Breakfast or maybe they'll bring someone else. I was hoping for Steffan Powell or Ben Mundy , to be fair. Nowhere near Chris Smith, but they both are also on the more 'engaging' side.

Window weather is a nice idea. Although, I can't stop thinking how great it would sound with Chris Smith. 

EDIT: forgot that I've actually wanted to write about music not the news. 
Greg's really got an impact on what music he plays. Which is a nice change compared to Grimmy. You can really hear the difference. Obviously, he's limited to the playlist, but he still manages to squeeze in a couple of 'older' songs (older as in "Budapest" from 2014, "Green Light" from last year).

12 hours ago, Aleks_ said:

Window weather is a nice idea. Although, I can't stop thinking how great it would sound with Chris Smith. 

Reminds me of One Road Travel :giggle:  I like the alternate Newsbeat bed they used for it, I wonder if that was made especially or if it was a cut that never gets used.

Two small moans....

1~ I can’t be the only one annoyed that the media team called this the ‘breakfast show’ on the video, despite all the efforts to drop ‘show’

2- Greg was really vocal about the fact of not having a guest for 15 mins broken up by songs - he wanted them to be part of the whole show. Today’s guest tho was a grimmy style 815 -830 interview - bog standard

8B624140-443E-4B8D-9B40-3145788BDF83.jpeg