Unofficial Mills

Is Chris Smith leaving Newsbeat?

OohErr

Okay, a slightly clickbaity title. But here it goes: not moving to the breakfast show with Greg, the picture on the website being briefly changed and then changed back, having worked at Radio 1 for ten years, seven of those reading the afternoon news. And this...

So it could be one of several things: 

1) They're announcing Greg's start date and that Chris Smith WILL be joining him after all.

2) He's being promoted to an off-air role so it's his last Newsbeat.

3) He's leaving Newsbeat so it's his last Newsbeat.

Intriguing...

8 minutes ago, OohErr said:

Okay, a slightly clickbaity title. But here it goes: not moving to the breakfast show with Greg, the picture on the website being briefly changed and then changed back, having worked at Radio 1 for ten years, seven of those reading the afternoon news. And this...

So it could be one of several things: 

1) They're announcing Greg's start date and that Chris Smith WILL be joining him after all.

2) He's being promoted to an off-air role so it's his last Newsbeat.

3) He's leaving Newsbeat so it's his last Newsbeat.

Intriguing...

I really hope, in the final minute of Newsbeat, Chris gets joined by Greg (even though he's on leave) and says something like "Today is my last day... for a few weeks, then I'll be back with Greg in September. SURPRISE!"

15 minutes ago, rickbutterfield said:

Doesn't seem to have been any announcement in Newsbeat?

EDIT: Realised it's tomorrow not today

Yeah tomorrow's 545 newsbeat

I'd have thought they'll announce when Greg and Grimmy start and who their teams will be and all, Grimmy was saying this morning about he has a new producer so suspect Chris Sawyer is moving to breakfast with Greg 

3 hours ago, Lee E said:

Tina doesn't seem to have been mentioned at all either, loads of Chris smith stuff but no Tina 

I guess Tina wasn't as much a part of the Newsbeat team as Chris, partly because of the hours she does mean she's finished just as most of the team are starting and also because she's had a foot out of the door for the last couple of years now.

Chris leaving is sad news. I’m in mourning. He can’t go! He IS Newsbeat. I can understand Tina going after all the online stuff that’s been floating around recently, but a Chris to?! Noooooooo!

2 of the best presenters gone. No offence to the others but if they haven’t got annoying accents they can’t fade in the jingle with their intro headline properly. Grinds my gears that latter one...