Unofficial Mills

Maya Jama's Latest Scandal

OohErr

I know TMD_24 brought this up in the chatbox, but I thought it should have its own thread so we can put all the latest developments in one place. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5916785/Maya-Jamas-tweets-emerge-mocking-rape-disabled.html

Here's what I put in the chatbox:

• Blimey, someone in the press really has it in for her. It seems a bit cruel, I bet they've been saving this up since the last scandal. Everybody's been immature and said bad things when they were younger, it's just for her it's been documented so people can hold it against her. My opinions on her as a radio presenter are quite clear, but as a person I have nothing against her and this seems to me to be a case of some nasty editor trying to trash her career because she's a young, female person of colour who's doing incredibly well for herself. It's unfair that "news" can now be manufactured by misrepresenting jokes made when people were a lot younger as their views now - although it was insanely stupid of her not to delete her old tweets after the last time.

I think Jordan12 is right, she won't survive this, especially after the controversy of their slow response last time. It would go down like a bucket of sick if Radio 1 stuck by her again this time, especially considering the tweets were arguably worse this time. It's not how I wanted her to go - being sacked for being a crap presenter is very different to being sacked for a tabloid stitch up. But if it means Jordan finally gets the airtime he deserves, I won't lose much sleep over it.

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

Clara just made a Maya Jama joke! Steve Holden said people have dug up some of Hayley Baldwin's old tweets and Clara goes "we know what happens when that... Anyway, carry on".

I remember reading between the lines back when the first scandal came out, and Clara was liking a few tweets that seemed to be against Maya (which is completely understandable given the subject of that tweet!), so this pretty much confirms that then...